Kristinly

38' Island Packet cutter rigged sailboat - sailed 20,000 nautical miles from New England to the Bahamas. Now with new owners Tim & Susan Tiefenbach

17 June 2013 | Mallets Bay, VT
05 July 2012 | West Pont, NY
02 July 2012 | Brigantine Shoals near Little Egg Inlet, NJ
30 June 2012 | Reedy Island, Delaware River
26 June 2012 | Antipoison Creek, VA
23 June 2012 | Burlington, VT
28 March 2012 | Deltaville, VA
27 March 2012 | Deltaville, VA
26 March 2012 | Hampton, VA
25 March 2012 | Hampton, VA
24 March 2012 | South of Norfolk, VA
23 March 2012 | Elizabeth City, NC
22 March 2012 | Cedar Creek, NC
21 March 2012 | Wrightsville Beach, NC
20 March 2012 | Little River, NC
18 March 2012 | South Santee River, SC
17 March 2012 | Charleston, SC
17 March 2012 | Charleston, SC
16 March 2012 | NE of Savannah, GA

Key West, FL N24° 34.458’ W81° 47.334’

18 March 2008 | 24 34.458N 81 47.334W
Randy
The Rental Car Company
Anyone thinking of renting a car from Dollar, think again. I would hope this is only a local experience, but some of this would make you think. I did not return the rental car yesterday I had picked up the day before in Ft. Lauderdale to drive back to Key West due to the weather I wrote about yesterday. So I took the car back this afternoon and waited for them to give me a ride back to the dinghy. And waited, and waited, and waited ... Most of you know me and my lack of patience, but I think I am getting better at it - part of this trip, one of the side benefits. But after 30 minutes, I went back to see how much longer it would be. "Excuse me sir, but who are you?" is what I got back in pigeon English. OK, so now this is going to be interesting. I reminded him I am the guy who told him I left my stuff in the car (1st mistake - foreshadowing here) and was waiting for a ride back to the dinghy dock (2nd mistake, as the locals all have a disdain for lowlife in the city mooring field). "Well, I am very busy right now." His first mistake. I launched into a fairly controlled, "What makes you think your time is more precious than mine?" retort. That got his attention, and he started calling Jose, who was no where to be found. 10 minutes later, still no ride. Now I am standing next to all of his customers who want to rent his cars and I am calm, but not quiet, and reminding him that they not only have I been waiting for 45 minutes for a ride, but they also charged me double what was quoted when I reserved the car and the other nut behind the counter said "Sorry". Rather than argue much about that one I figured I would just call "corporate" later and get that sorted out.

Anyway, they finally pull someone from outback to give me a ride. A very nice lady, and we drive around to where the car used to be. It didn't take them long to rent it out to someone else - with my stuff in it. It's gone, along with my $800 GPS, a case of beer (now I am really concerned), chips, paper plates and other assorted bachelor type items. It turns out they rented the car out to some local doctor who is off having an affair with someone at mile 55, according to the local. With there being nothing else I could do at that point, they took me back to the dinghy and said they would be in touch. "You bet your ass you will." An interesting day.

I just got off the phone with Dave and the eagle has landed in Ft. Lauderdale. I figure we'll get them on the boat somewhere around midnight. The good news is the winds have shifted more to the east and cover wise, that's a good thing. We shouldn't have the rollers tonight like last night. This isn't going to be dangerous, but they are going to get wet. Like Dave said, it's warm and they'll dry off.

Time for some dinner.
Comments
Vessel Name: Kristinly
Vessel Make/Model: Island Packet 38, hull #83
Hailing Port: Mallets Bay, VT
Crew: Captain Randy Kruml, 1st Mate Nikki St Mary

Kristinly

Who: Captain Randy Kruml, 1st Mate Nikki St Mary
Port: Mallets Bay, VT