Kristinly

38' Island Packet cutter rigged sailboat - sailed 20,000 nautical miles from New England to the Bahamas. Now with new owners Tim & Susan Tiefenbach

17 June 2013 | Mallets Bay, VT
05 July 2012 | West Pont, NY
02 July 2012 | Brigantine Shoals near Little Egg Inlet, NJ
30 June 2012 | Reedy Island, Delaware River
26 June 2012 | Antipoison Creek, VA
23 June 2012 | Burlington, VT
28 March 2012 | Deltaville, VA
27 March 2012 | Deltaville, VA
26 March 2012 | Hampton, VA
25 March 2012 | Hampton, VA
24 March 2012 | South of Norfolk, VA
23 March 2012 | Elizabeth City, NC
22 March 2012 | Cedar Creek, NC
21 March 2012 | Wrightsville Beach, NC
20 March 2012 | Little River, NC
18 March 2012 | South Santee River, SC
17 March 2012 | Charleston, SC
17 March 2012 | Charleston, SC
16 March 2012 | NE of Savannah, GA

Georgetown, SC - 5 miles north N33° 25.471' W79° 12.534'

03 June 2008 | 33 25.471N 79 12.534W
Randy
You can probably tell from the view on Google maps that this is some of the most beautiful countryside I have seen so far. Had a great time in Charleston and could spend weeks there. I'll definitely stop again on the return trip south in the fall. I am so drawn to the southern hospitality. I have especially enjoyed talking to people other than the white folks, namely African American. You know, I grew up and lived my life in lily-white America. Nothing wrong with that other than I am pretty clueless about the world from their eyes. I have been thinking a lot about this and what I am learning and maybe I will share that another day.

The biggest surprise of the day was "meeting" over the radio my sister Susan's college room mate Sara and her husband Shane. Talk about a small world. I was a little bored this afternoon and they were behind me (had been since I left Charleston this morning) so I called them to chat. One thing led to another and it turns out they both went to USD, are from Sioux Falls, SD and now live in Minneapolis. They have been on a 4 year (on and off - mostly on) sailing adventure and are returning from Venezuela. Now THAT is an adventure! I hope to run into them somewhere along the way, but they are moving faster than I and that probably won't happen. I tell you, this kind of thing seems to happen nearly everyday. Unbelievable ...

Also met another couple (Scott and Gail from Vero Beach, FL) who are also traveling to the Chesapeake Bay and we may be traveling together some. Not by intention, it just sounds like we are going to do it the same way. They have done more cruising than I and it would be nice to be a sponge with them for a while. Kind of like Joe and Deb, who were so gracious with their help and everything they did for me. You can't have enough of friends like that.

Thought I would include some pictures tonight that I think are mostly self explanatory. One of the things I did while in Charleston was to tour Fort Sumter and also the decommissioned carrier Yorktown. I tell you, I love doing this, as I really love history and learn a lot. But I have always come away from these places feeling very somber and appreciative of my freedom. The military was never for me, but I have always been grateful for those who serve(d). The more I learn, the more grateful I am. There is no way I could possibly understand or appreciate all they go through, some making the ultimate sacrifice, but all making sacrifices most of us never do. And for that, I would like to say thank you to everyone on this distribution list who has served in the armed forces. People like my sister Jane, cousin Joe, my Dad's cousin Gene, uncles Joe, David, Larry, friends Brian, Jeff, Bill, and Ted, and possibly some of you I have missed or am not even aware you served, are all heroes in my book.

OK, time to shower, eat, and hit the sack. I have an early and long day tomorrow.
Comments
Vessel Name: Kristinly
Vessel Make/Model: Island Packet 38, hull #83
Hailing Port: Mallets Bay, VT
Crew: Captain Randy Kruml, 1st Mate Nikki St Mary

Kristinly

Who: Captain Randy Kruml, 1st Mate Nikki St Mary
Port: Mallets Bay, VT