Kristinly

38' Island Packet cutter rigged sailboat - sailed 20,000 nautical miles from New England to the Bahamas. Now with new owners Tim & Susan Tiefenbach

17 June 2013 | Mallets Bay, VT
05 July 2012 | West Pont, NY
02 July 2012 | Brigantine Shoals near Little Egg Inlet, NJ
30 June 2012 | Reedy Island, Delaware River
26 June 2012 | Antipoison Creek, VA
23 June 2012 | Burlington, VT
28 March 2012 | Deltaville, VA
27 March 2012 | Deltaville, VA
26 March 2012 | Hampton, VA
25 March 2012 | Hampton, VA
24 March 2012 | South of Norfolk, VA
23 March 2012 | Elizabeth City, NC
22 March 2012 | Cedar Creek, NC
21 March 2012 | Wrightsville Beach, NC
20 March 2012 | Little River, NC
18 March 2012 | South Santee River, SC
17 March 2012 | Charleston, SC
17 March 2012 | Charleston, SC
16 March 2012 | NE of Savannah, GA

Deltaville, VA N37° 32.905' W76° 19.826'

14 June 2008 | 37 32.905N 76 19.826
Randy
I always double check these lat/long coordinates before I give them to you to make sure they are right, and they are always incredibly accurate in terms of where Google maps show as a location for me. For some reason (at least for me right now), it is showing me up on land. Trust me, that is not where I am at this moment. But I am at Deltaville, just next to a marina. Planning to go ashore and pick up a few supplies. I have read that this is a great stop over point with just about anything you need for the boat, and cruising in general. One of the stats they give in the cruising guide is this is a town of 800 people and 3,000 boats (more boats during the major spring and fall migration of cruisers). I am a bit behind the big crowd, which is actually an advantage when looking for places to anchor. The down side, I guess, it is a little warm. Then again, it seems warm everywhere right now. Anyway, with numbers like that, I guess that qualifies as a boating community.

Yorktown was absolutely fabulous. A quaint, quiet little southern town, LOADED with history, particularly about the Revolutionary war. I spent the entire day ashore, covered a lot of ground with the aid of my trusty little bike, saw a LOT, and still did not see it all. This is a place I could definitely return to for more.

A short stay here at Deltaville tonight and then I will head up to the Solomons tomorrow, weather permitting. I may be here tomorrow yet as the forecast is for scattered thunderstorms. If that is the case, I'll get to know Deltaville a bit and head to the Solomons Monday. The Chesapeake Bay is very impressive, with over 2,500 miles of shoreline. It is a little over 200 miles long and 20 miles wide. Bill was right - it would take a lifetime to explore all of this.

Had a very enjoyable day of sailing (most of the way) from Yorktown to Deltaville. Not very far as the crow flies, but it was 10 miles just coming down the York River to the Bay before I could head north. This is definitely sailing country. It seems the farther north up the Bay I go, the more sailboats I see. In fact, I met two more sailors from Annapolis yesterday named Gail and Laura, sailing a 35' Ericson named Footloose. They have been doing this for 10 years, so they have a few on me in terms of experience. But they believe the Chesapeake is as good as it gets in terms of cruising grounds for sailboats, and I can't argue with them. They were in a slip at the Yorktown marina next to town and when I returned there to get in the dinghy to head back to Kristinly, I saw their boat, tied to the slip, bouncing like a rocking horse, with the bow and stern alternating rising and falling by perhaps as much as 5'. And their boat was the only one. The tide was flooding and the configuration of the docks with a breakwater just in from of Footloose caused this wild gyration. They were very concerned, and rightly so. I would have been. Anyway, a few of us worked to get some fenders in place and double up some docklines to avert damage to the boat until the tide went slack (not ebbing or flooding).

OK, I am off to see the sights and get some stuff.
Comments
Vessel Name: Kristinly
Vessel Make/Model: Island Packet 38, hull #83
Hailing Port: Mallets Bay, VT
Crew: Captain Randy Kruml, 1st Mate Nikki St Mary

Kristinly

Who: Captain Randy Kruml, 1st Mate Nikki St Mary
Port: Mallets Bay, VT