Kristinly

38' Island Packet cutter rigged sailboat - sailed 20,000 nautical miles from New England to the Bahamas. Now with new owners Tim & Susan Tiefenbach

17 June 2013 | Mallets Bay, VT
05 July 2012 | West Pont, NY
02 July 2012 | Brigantine Shoals near Little Egg Inlet, NJ
30 June 2012 | Reedy Island, Delaware River
26 June 2012 | Antipoison Creek, VA
23 June 2012 | Burlington, VT
28 March 2012 | Deltaville, VA
27 March 2012 | Deltaville, VA
26 March 2012 | Hampton, VA
25 March 2012 | Hampton, VA
24 March 2012 | South of Norfolk, VA
23 March 2012 | Elizabeth City, NC
22 March 2012 | Cedar Creek, NC
21 March 2012 | Wrightsville Beach, NC
20 March 2012 | Little River, NC
18 March 2012 | South Santee River, SC
17 March 2012 | Charleston, SC
17 March 2012 | Charleston, SC
16 March 2012 | NE of Savannah, GA

Portland, ME N43° 39.825' W70° 14.352'

17 August 2008 | 43 39.825N 70 14.352W
Randy
Back in Portland, ME - departed Boothbay Harbor at 0700 and arrived here at 1430. What a difference a day makes. Today was the Chamber of Commerce day I was looking for! Actually had to motor for the first 3 hours as the wind was on the nose, but as I turned west, the winds turned slightly south and then it was sails up and a wonderful ride for the last 3 hours. Just as I arrived in the harbor, I was greeted by the US Coast Guard telling me there was a parade of large tug boats coming out on their way to a race. Yes, there was a tug boat race in the harbor. These guys were playing bumper boats on a very large scale, rubbing each other's sides as they "raced" through the course. Only in Maine! As exciting as it wasn't, the wake left by these behemoths was huge and there was some significant rocking, and a few of the smaller boats that were gathered were close to capsizing. I am surprised the USCG let this happen. But it was truly amusing. I was very surprised at how nimble these large boats are.

I also saw the Amistad, a replica of a slave ship I saw in the final stages of construction around 2002 in Mystic, CT. I am sure many of you have heard of this notorious ship that had the dubious distinction of having the slaves over power the crew and sailed into port. There was a famous trial where the slaves were found innocent. There was a movie made of this. Anyway, this replica is very impressive and sails with a mission of educating. VERY cool to see a ship like this right here in Maine.

The weather is going to turn against me tomorrow with strong and gusty winds coming from the SSW and potential thunderstorms late in the day. This is the direction I need to go, so I am going to sit it out here in Portland tomorrow and then plan to make a long day of it on Tuesday, sailing 65 nm to Rockport, MA. The only spot to stop between here and Rockport is Cape Porpoise, and that is the harbor that had the unbelievable concentration of lobster traps like I have seen no where else, through which I think we were lucky to get in and out in the swells without catching one with the propeller, so I would rather have the long day going all the way to Rockport, MA and avoid that. Believe it or not, I thought today was/is Monday all day, so in my planning for the trip to Boston, I am a day ahead of where I thought I was. It is an occupational hazard, as the day of the week is irrelevant and I just don't pay attention. DUH!

Some of my notes in these updates are really just for me for future reference, and I am realizing that I should be making better notes on the anchorages, so bear with me on this. The anchorage here in Portland is near a 10 story residential building (the only one you can see) inside of a mooring field. Good holding, 20' - 25' depth, but close to shore, so setting 2 anchors is a good idea. Dinghy ashore at DeMillos Marina, but they charge $10/day. You get showers, if interested.

OK, time for dinner.
Comments
Vessel Name: Kristinly
Vessel Make/Model: Island Packet 38, hull #83
Hailing Port: Mallets Bay, VT
Crew: Captain Randy Kruml, 1st Mate Nikki St Mary

Kristinly

Who: Captain Randy Kruml, 1st Mate Nikki St Mary
Port: Mallets Bay, VT