Kristinly

38' Island Packet cutter rigged sailboat - sailed 20,000 nautical miles from New England to the Bahamas. Now with new owners Tim & Susan Tiefenbach

17 June 2013 | Mallets Bay, VT
05 July 2012 | West Pont, NY
02 July 2012 | Brigantine Shoals near Little Egg Inlet, NJ
30 June 2012 | Reedy Island, Delaware River
26 June 2012 | Antipoison Creek, VA
23 June 2012 | Burlington, VT
28 March 2012 | Deltaville, VA
27 March 2012 | Deltaville, VA
26 March 2012 | Hampton, VA
25 March 2012 | Hampton, VA
24 March 2012 | South of Norfolk, VA
23 March 2012 | Elizabeth City, NC
22 March 2012 | Cedar Creek, NC
21 March 2012 | Wrightsville Beach, NC
20 March 2012 | Little River, NC
18 March 2012 | South Santee River, SC
17 March 2012 | Charleston, SC
17 March 2012 | Charleston, SC
16 March 2012 | NE of Savannah, GA

The Sassafras River, on the east Maryland shore of the Chesapeake Bay N39° 22.307' W75° 58.523'

01 October 2008 | 39 22.307N 75 58.523'W
Randy
I know I said I was headed for the Bohemia River, but the way things worked out, I made better time than expected and the weather forecasted winds out of the WNW for tonight, and this place provides better protection. And what a name?! Sassafras has to be the best name yet, and any self respecting river would want it.

The day was a good one, covering 82 nm in 12 hrs flat, making for an overall average of 6.8 kts/hr. This boat has never done that with me at the helm (maybe under former owners Dick and Kay). Of course this was all about hitting the tides just right and getting help from the currents. Peak SOG (speed over ground) was 9.2 kts! Some of it had to do with planning, but a lot was just about the distances covered and the flow and direction of the tides in the various areas worked out perfectly. Instead of departing at 0430 as planned, waited until 0600. The lights of Cape May in the dark (sunrise was 0650) made picking out the navigation lights very difficult, and since I had the LASIK eye surgery, I get some of the star burst effect from night lights, which makes it worse. Time for a check up in that department, I think.

I would have made better time, but about 2 hours into the trip, I am pretty sure I snagged a crab pot line with either the center board or the rudder. I saw the buoy disappear below the bow at the last minute and immediately put the transmission in neutral to stop the propeller to avoid wrapping the line there, as I have done at least 50 times since starting this trip; especially in Maine where the lobster pots were so plentiful. Anyway, the idea is to coast over the buoy and when it is past, back in gear and off we go again. This time, the buoys never reappeared, and after much maneuvering doing 360's and even reversing, I accepted that I had a problem and continued on, hoping the line would not release and then get caught in the prop. I thought about going into the water to take a look and cut it free, but the water temp is only 67 F and decided against that, especially since I am alone, as well as the surface was pretty choppy at that time. Anyway, it was clear I was dragging something as my speed was slowed by about 2 kts from what it should have been. I am not exactly sure when it happened, but about 3 or 4 hours later, I noticed the speed had picked up and all seemed normal again. I am guessing that whatever it was finally broke away somewhere. I am hoping there is no line left dangling that could cause a problem later. I am going to hire a diver when I get to Annapolis to make sure.

Early in the morning, a trawler pulled up behind me and hailed me on the radio and mentioned that he is from South Burlington, VT. He kept his boat at the Moorings on Lake Champlain (same place I had Kristinly). How cool is that Peter, Julie, Sean, et al? The name of the boat is Abigail, and I think the guy's name is John. We had a great conversation and am sure we will run into each other again on the trip south.

Thought I would include a few pics today. For whatever reason, I have been remiss in taking pictures lately. Sorry this is about nuke plants and ships, but that is what I saw today that looked interesting ... By the way, the real significance to me about the Salem nuke plant is that my sister Susan and her kids Andrew and Laura lived a few miles from here at one time. Glowing personalities ... ;-) Oh yeah, and this is renewable energy and we should build a thousand of these. Paid political announcement ... ;-)

Also, there were some small storms blowing around today and only got a little rain, and none of it looked too serious on the radar. But I did hear a couple of really loud BOOMS, and realizing it wasn't thunder, I think I figured out that the military was doing some sort of training. The Aberdeen Proving Grounds are on the chart, as well as a lot of Coast Guard and Navy presence.

Lastly, my aunt Susie has been battling cancer for a long time. She is not well and will not be with us much longer. To my mom, her brothers uncle David and uncle Mark, husband Mike and children Laura and Mike, I just want to say that you have been in my thoughts a lot lately - surely more than you know, since I am not so good about reaching out at times like this. I love you all.
Comments
Vessel Name: Kristinly
Vessel Make/Model: Island Packet 38, hull #83
Hailing Port: Mallets Bay, VT
Crew: Captain Randy Kruml, 1st Mate Nikki St Mary

Kristinly

Who: Captain Randy Kruml, 1st Mate Nikki St Mary
Port: Mallets Bay, VT