Kristinly

38' Island Packet cutter rigged sailboat - sailed 20,000 nautical miles from New England to the Bahamas. Now with new owners Tim & Susan Tiefenbach

17 June 2013 | Mallets Bay, VT
05 July 2012 | West Pont, NY
02 July 2012 | Brigantine Shoals near Little Egg Inlet, NJ
30 June 2012 | Reedy Island, Delaware River
26 June 2012 | Antipoison Creek, VA
23 June 2012 | Burlington, VT
28 March 2012 | Deltaville, VA
27 March 2012 | Deltaville, VA
26 March 2012 | Hampton, VA
25 March 2012 | Hampton, VA
24 March 2012 | South of Norfolk, VA
23 March 2012 | Elizabeth City, NC
22 March 2012 | Cedar Creek, NC
21 March 2012 | Wrightsville Beach, NC
20 March 2012 | Little River, NC
18 March 2012 | South Santee River, SC
17 March 2012 | Charleston, SC
17 March 2012 | Charleston, SC
16 March 2012 | NE of Savannah, GA

Broad Creek in the North River, North Carolina N36° 12.308' W75° 57.782'

15 December 2008 | 36 12.308N 75 57.782W
Randy
Another fairly uneventful day; traveled 44 nm which is about what I thought I could do given the late start because of the bridge opening at 0830 and had to pull in here at 1530 due to not being able to make it to the other side of the Albemarle Sound before sunset. But this is a good spot to jump off and head across tomorrow. Very strong south winds right on the nose all day, especially as I motored through the Currituck Sound. Sustained winds at 25 kts with gusts noted up to 35 kts. Weather reports had the temp at 70, but the wind blowing across 58 degree water is much cooler than that. Lots of spray splashing as the bow plowed through the waves, but the dodger and enclosure did the job and kept me dry. Still too cold for my taste and can't wait to get to the Bahamas! The treat for the day were the bald eagles - counted 7 of them. Only two were mature with white head and tail feathers. What a majestic looking bird. Saw only 3 other boats today. Two were big yachts that left me in the dust after the bridges and one was a research vessel of some kind that fell behind me. Anyone slower than me is REALLY SLOW. Anyway, it was not a particularly exciting day, but again, it feels good to be moving.

The weather is forecasted to turn colder tonight and the rain will start early AM. Gotta keep moving...

By the way, I have to say I am constantly amazed at the GPS technology. For those of you who look up my positions based on the lat/long coordinates on Google Maps or similar will see exactly where I am. I mean, it looks to be accurate within a few yards. Really something ...

Anchorage note: this is a good anchorage, very well protected from weather from all directions, but the bottom seems a bit soft and a slow set of the anchor and then backing down hard seemed to so the trick. I will sleep well here.

Hope to cover 50 - 60 nm tomorrow which will put me on the Pungo River at the west side of the Alligator River-Pungo River Canal.
Comments
Vessel Name: Kristinly
Vessel Make/Model: Island Packet 38, hull #83
Hailing Port: Mallets Bay, VT
Crew: Captain Randy Kruml, 1st Mate Nikki St Mary

Kristinly

Who: Captain Randy Kruml, 1st Mate Nikki St Mary
Port: Mallets Bay, VT