Kristinly

38' Island Packet cutter rigged sailboat - sailed 20,000 nautical miles from New England to the Bahamas. Now with new owners Tim & Susan Tiefenbach

17 June 2013 | Mallets Bay, VT
05 July 2012 | West Pont, NY
02 July 2012 | Brigantine Shoals near Little Egg Inlet, NJ
30 June 2012 | Reedy Island, Delaware River
26 June 2012 | Antipoison Creek, VA
23 June 2012 | Burlington, VT
28 March 2012 | Deltaville, VA
27 March 2012 | Deltaville, VA
26 March 2012 | Hampton, VA
25 March 2012 | Hampton, VA
24 March 2012 | South of Norfolk, VA
23 March 2012 | Elizabeth City, NC
22 March 2012 | Cedar Creek, NC
21 March 2012 | Wrightsville Beach, NC
20 March 2012 | Little River, NC
18 March 2012 | South Santee River, SC
17 March 2012 | Charleston, SC
17 March 2012 | Charleston, SC
16 March 2012 | NE of Savannah, GA

St Augustine, FL N29° 53.631' W81° 18.588'

02 May 2009 | 29 53.631N 81 18.588W
Randy
We arrived in St. Augustine after traveling 162 nm in 28 hours. For the most part, it was uneventful, departing with C-Note at 1000 near slack tide to avoid the chop from the east winds against ebb.

I said mostly uneventful, as Patrick (my new crew) got seasick about 30 minutes after we exited the inlet out to the ocean. It was still pretty choppy at the end of the inlet and 4'-6' seas on the starboard quarter after that, causing that uncomfortable roll of the deck. And when I say sick, he had it bad. He disappeared down below for about two hours and I never heard a word from him. I tried to tell him before he did that it would be a mistake, as focusing on the horizon is best when you get like that. He stuck his head up later for a few minutes saying he had puked, A LOT, and was going to lie down. To make a long story short, he never got over it and spent all but about 2 of the 28 hour trip lying down in his berth. I was going to pull into Canaveral so he could get off the boat as soon as possible, but that would have put us in there in the dark at 2330, and I checked with the USCG and they said NO anchoring in the port east of the lock, and the lock closed at 2130. After having no luck raising any of the marinas, I made the decision to continue on and divert to St. Augustine instead of Savannah, a compromise which would get Patrick off the boat and onto dry land sooner than later. Poor guy, he was extremely miserable the whole time but never complained, and there really was little else I could do for him. So he got off the boat at 1630 and caught a Greyhound back to Ft. Pierce arriving there at 2330, and presumably was going to ride his motorcycle back to Tampa, another 4 hours. I actually enjoyed him in his few lucid moments and wouldn't mind hanging with him again sometime, but I doubt he will be interested in another boat trip.

Solo, back out again today. You may recall the original plan was to sail for two nights and arrive in Savannah. That is another 150 nm from St. Augustine, and I will do that today, departing at 1000 at slack tide and should arrive there in about 25 - 30 hours tomorrow (1100 - 1600). This diversion for Patrick added about 40 nm to the trip from Ft. Pierce to St. Augustine, but it was the right, and really the only thing to do. Joe and Deb should be arriving in Savannah mid-day today and we think we will probably continue on from there together a few days after that. Debby needs to get her hair dyed and I will need a few days' rest.

A couple other things of note: saw 3 sea turtles yesterday, one of them being at least 4' long. Small birds visited me about 12 nm offshore, and one of them made it into the forward berth, crapped on the blanket, and then promptly died on the spot. Go figure ... And I lost my brand new pair of sun glasses over the side while preparing a preventer on the mainsail. Back to the old cheapies ...
Comments
Vessel Name: Kristinly
Vessel Make/Model: Island Packet 38, hull #83
Hailing Port: Mallets Bay, VT
Crew: Captain Randy Kruml, 1st Mate Nikki St Mary

Kristinly

Who: Captain Randy Kruml, 1st Mate Nikki St Mary
Port: Mallets Bay, VT