Kristinly

38' Island Packet cutter rigged sailboat - sailed 20,000 nautical miles from New England to the Bahamas. Now with new owners Tim & Susan Tiefenbach

17 June 2013 | Mallets Bay, VT
05 July 2012 | West Pont, NY
02 July 2012 | Brigantine Shoals near Little Egg Inlet, NJ
30 June 2012 | Reedy Island, Delaware River
26 June 2012 | Antipoison Creek, VA
23 June 2012 | Burlington, VT
28 March 2012 | Deltaville, VA
27 March 2012 | Deltaville, VA
26 March 2012 | Hampton, VA
25 March 2012 | Hampton, VA
24 March 2012 | South of Norfolk, VA
23 March 2012 | Elizabeth City, NC
22 March 2012 | Cedar Creek, NC
21 March 2012 | Wrightsville Beach, NC
20 March 2012 | Little River, NC
18 March 2012 | South Santee River, SC
17 March 2012 | Charleston, SC
17 March 2012 | Charleston, SC
16 March 2012 | NE of Savannah, GA

Last and final update

25 August 2009
Randy
There are a lot of pictures with this update but since it is the last one, I figured what the hell. All of these pictures were actually taken in May 2007 when Bob Allen, Brian Warren, and Rob Petrini joined me as the first crew of Kristinly (under new ownership, of course) brought her from Orient Point on the east end of Long Island where she was purchased up to Mallets Bay, VT. I mentioned I had forgotten my camera for this last leg of the journey and Abbott suggested sending pics taken back then, since they truly represent what I saw on this trip north. Oddly enough, other than the weather was a lot warmer during the first part of this trip vs. the first, it was nearly identical in all other aspects, including when it rained and when it turned nice. The only thing I saw more of on this trip north was wildlife, including an awe inspiring moment when I looked up at a tree about 50 yards away and saw two majestic, fully matured Bald Eagles about 10 feet apart. About 10 minutes later I saw a third eagle, an adolescent whose head and tail had not turned white yet, and could not help but wonder if he was the offspring of the pair I had just seen. Lots of waterfowl and a few deer also along the way.

This journey has been an unbelievable, and truly life changing experience for me. It started out as an adventure - you know, lots of places to go, things to see, learning to sail the ocean, and all of that fun stuff. And to be sure, I have been able to do all of that and more and I will remember these experiences for as long as I live. But more importantly, I have learned a great deal about myself along the way. I think my core value system is still what it always was, but some of my priorities have changed some. Many of the things I thought were important like possessions and money (well, you still have to
have some of that, but not as much as I always thought) just really don't measure up anymore when compared to something like the love of family and friends, and being aware and present and attentive to everyone and everything around me. I have had the opportunity to meet and get to know the most amazing people, and in different cultures. I have made lots of new friends, but there are some in this group who have touched my heart in such a way that I will never be the same, and will never forget them. You know who you are.

I was lucky enough to have both friends and family join me along the way, some for a day or two, some for a week, and it is times like those that stand out as some of the most unforgettable moments. Many of you have reached out to me from time-to-time; sometimes to comment about something you read, sometimes with a question, sometimes just to give me shit, and sometimes to tell me you were thinking about me and offered encouraging words. We celebrated birthdays (Jenni, Kristin and Dan), spent Christmas once in Charleston, SC, traveled from Vermont to Key West, back north to Acadia in Maine, south to the Exumas and Eleuthera in the Bahamas, and then came full circle back north. Too many experiences to mention right here, but I am seriously thinking about writing that book I mentioned months back. As I said, I doubt it would sell more than a dozen copies, and that would be my mother, but the real reason I want to do it is it will be a collection of memories that my grandchildren may find interesting someday.

This final update would not be complete without talking about Nikki. We met a few months before I was ready to head out in 2007 and we both fully expected to just have fun together for that summer. She accompanied me from Mallets Bay, VT to NYC and we both realized then that something changed for us. We fell in love. Through it all, she has always been there. She has made many trips back and forth to the boat, enduring more time on planes than a person should have to, spending time with me on the boat for a week or two here and there, devoted two full summer school vacations to spend time with me on the boat, and actually took a leave of absence from work so we could be together for two months as we ventured off to the Bahamas. In total, she has probably been with me at least 1/3 of the time out. She has endured long separations and never complained. She has adapted to life on the boat, learned to sail, and is a hell of a first mate. And while she loves her time here, she is also happy to be back home in a nice comfortable bed that does not pitch and roll in the night, a real kitchen instead of a small galley, and being able to go places where she can wear cute shoes. Her sense of adventure is intoxicating and were it not for that, we most likely would not have been able to do all that we have together. She is a remarkable woman and I am unbelievably lucky to have her in my life. Ours is a great, if unconventional, love story. Thank you for everything Nikki.

So with that, I am signing off. I truly hope that you will all keep in touch and let me know what you're up to, how you are doing, and like that. Be well, and as sailors are fond of saying when wishing the best, fair winds and following seas!

Randy
s/v Kristinly
IP38-83
Comments
Vessel Name: Kristinly
Vessel Make/Model: Island Packet 38, hull #83
Hailing Port: Mallets Bay, VT
Crew: Captain Randy Kruml, 1st Mate Nikki St Mary

Kristinly

Who: Captain Randy Kruml, 1st Mate Nikki St Mary
Port: Mallets Bay, VT