La Aventura with Patti & James

06 July 2018 | Faial Island –Atlantic Portugal
24 June 2018 | National Holiday day in Faial
22 June 2018 | afternoon whale watching boat trip
20 June 2018 | an enjoyable day trip to another island.
19 June 2018 | Fabulous Faial. – Azorean Island
18 June 2018 | Faial Island – Horta Harbour - Mid Atlantic
29 May 2018 | Mid Atlantic - in the middle of nowhere
26 May 2018 | the cruising yachtsman’s haven
25 May 2018 | party day in Hamilton
10 May 2018 | Vero Beach/Ft Pierce –road trip to Jacksonville.
12 April 2018 | Vibeke onboard
17 March 2018 | lovely to return to Belize and Mexico and meet up with sailing friends along the way
24 January 2018 | I have become so interested in Guatemala textiles
17 January 2018 | So great to catchup with so many friends and our families
01 November 2017 | what a wonderful Guatemalan fiesta to experience
29 October 2017 | Volcanic crater
28 October 2017 | Antiqua - Guatemala

Hampton, Virginia

31 July 2015 | at anchor off the Hampton Yacht Club
sunny, hot and no rain for 10 days - the boat needs a washdown!

Image - a sunset view of Hampton Yacht Club.

After a weekend stop-over in Wrightsville Beach - meeting up again with Tony and Jill on Capisce - the last time we came across each other was in Jamaica - where they gave us info on Cuba... just goes to show you never know when and where us sailors will meet-up again.

19th July - departed Wrightsville Beach at 7am for passage further north - light winds (at least from the right direction - southwest) motorsailing.

Even at 7am there were people out and about swimming in the channel, cycling and beach fishing - enjoying the great outdoors area.

Two day passage Sunday 19th and Monday 20th - rounding Cape Hatteras.
This is a tick in the box for us to sail around Hatteras. You sure do have to get the right weather to do this notoriously dangerous trip - and we had just that - south west winds to do a bit of spinnaker sailing and then good sailing with full main and genoa.

21st - with the forecast to change to northerly and thunderstorms we were right on target to get into Hampton, Virginia- again we knew exactly where we were heading - to lift the keel and anchor in the shallows off the Hampton Yacht Club.

22nd until 31st July - dry, hot and sunny days at anchor in Hampton.

On our 1st day we treated ourselves to lunch at the Yacht Club - mainly to get the internet WiFi codes so we could access their internet from the boat... very helpful indeed.

I don't really know were the days went.... but all too good, and all too easy for us here.
Internet on the boat from the Yacht Club made life on-board very easy.

We had constant daily entertainment from the Kids holiday sailing programme from the Yacht Club - sometimes we were even the rounding mark!

The Yacht Club has a very active mid-week twilight racing series - 505's on Tuesdays, big boats mixed classes on Wednesdays and smaller boats mixed classes on Thursdays. The finish line was just upstream from us - so we watched some exciting racing and also some abandoned finishes due to no wind and boats being towed in.

The facilities available to anchored yachts from the Hampton Public Pier is excellent. We made good use of their secure dingy dock, rubbish bins, water, wonderful $1 showers, town internet, laundry, bikes and secure mail collection service - all at no charge.
Our supermarket shopping was easy too - a large supermarket was just a few blocks walk from the dingy dock up the nearby Sunset Creek.

The air-conditioned town Public library was a great relief for good afternoon internet service off the boat on a few of the really hot and still afternoons - again just a few blocks walk from the Sunset Creek dingy dock

1st August - we finally left Hampton - this was a very easy and enjoyable stop for us. We are just pottering about the Chesapeake Bay with no set timetable or agenda.... just keeping an eye and ear on the weather forecasts.

Comments
Vessel Name: La Aventura
Crew: James & Patti

Who: James & Patti