La Aventura with Patti & James

06 July 2018 | Faial Island –Atlantic Portugal
24 June 2018 | National Holiday day in Faial
22 June 2018 | afternoon whale watching boat trip
20 June 2018 | an enjoyable day trip to another island.
19 June 2018 | Fabulous Faial. – Azorean Island
18 June 2018 | Faial Island – Horta Harbour - Mid Atlantic
29 May 2018 | Mid Atlantic - in the middle of nowhere
26 May 2018 | the cruising yachtsman’s haven
25 May 2018 | party day in Hamilton
10 May 2018 | Vero Beach/Ft Pierce –road trip to Jacksonville.
12 April 2018 | Vibeke onboard
17 March 2018 | lovely to return to Belize and Mexico and meet up with sailing friends along the way
24 January 2018 | I have become so interested in Guatemala textiles
17 January 2018 | So great to catchup with so many friends and our families
01 November 2017 | what a wonderful Guatemalan fiesta to experience
29 October 2017 | Volcanic crater
28 October 2017 | Antiqua - Guatemala

Mexican style Carnival

22 February 2017 | lots of locals out having fun

IMAGE – carnival Mexican style

Sunday 26th March – Mexico is a Catholic country and also follows the Caribbean cultural tradition of celebrating Carnival during the week before Ash Wednesday. The traditional parade along the main waterfront road and then on through the town was held on Sunday afternoon – so off course we went along for a look. It was a hot, humid day and we, along with all the other onlookers waited for the advertised 3pm start that finally kicked off around 5pm.
As one half of the main road was blocked off there was total chaos for all the day trippers driving their golf carts back to the main ferry terminal. The people watching of tourist and officials was very amusing and made the waiting time pass quickly. A DJ stage with huge music speakers was set up at the main intersection – the music was LOUD.
Finally the parade made its way slowly along the road. There was lots of local colour with the kids, lovely young women, and a few men together with a few groups of older ladies all out having fun, for a very small island population they know how to have fun. We have watched Carnival in both Trinidad and Granada in the Eastern Caribbean and the main difference here was that the attendees were much more covered up – ie far less skin and bear flesh showing…. which in some cases was not a bad thing. The costumes and dance routines were not as elaborate or practiced as we had seen elsewhere – but young and old were out together having a great time.
After the parade passed along the main waterfront road they dispersed into the town where the various troupes entertained outside the bars and restaurants – all good fun for both the participants, their families and all of us a onlookers.
Comments
Vessel Name: La Aventura
Crew: James & Patti

Who: James & Patti