La Aventura with Patti & James

06 July 2018 | Faial Island –Atlantic Portugal
24 June 2018 | National Holiday day in Faial
22 June 2018 | afternoon whale watching boat trip
20 June 2018 | an enjoyable day trip to another island.
19 June 2018 | Fabulous Faial. – Azorean Island
18 June 2018 | Faial Island – Horta Harbour - Mid Atlantic
29 May 2018 | Mid Atlantic - in the middle of nowhere
26 May 2018 | the cruising yachtsman’s haven
25 May 2018 | party day in Hamilton
10 May 2018 | Vero Beach/Ft Pierce –road trip to Jacksonville.
12 April 2018 | Vibeke onboard
17 March 2018 | lovely to return to Belize and Mexico and meet up with sailing friends along the way
24 January 2018 | I have become so interested in Guatemala textiles
17 January 2018 | So great to catchup with so many friends and our families
01 November 2017 | what a wonderful Guatemalan fiesta to experience
29 October 2017 | Volcanic crater
28 October 2017 | Antiqua - Guatemala

El Remate village - near TIKAL

26 September 2017 | 3 day 2 night adventure
Guatemala – land travels

EL REMATE
We arrived in the village after a long 200 km, 6 hour drive, heading north from the Rio.

Guatemala has not spend money on its vital road infrastructure and therefore throughout the whole country road travel is slow due to poor road conditions and a total lack of passing lanes on the mountainous climbs. When you inevitably get stuck behind the constant flow of heavily laden trucks and livestock transporters it adds a lot of extra time to the journey.

Our driver was Daniel – the husband of Mirza(OCC local office manager) – so he was extra careful with his wife and little daughter and a few cousins onboard. Thankfully the bus actually had seating for 30 – so our group of 23 fitted comfortably, even with the minimal functioning of the aircon. James & I managed to nab our own separate seating – so that made it easier and less sweaty in the constant humidity.

This little village at the eastern end of Lago de Petén Itza is about 30mins drive from the entrance to the Tikal site.

Our accommodation at Casa Don David along the north shore road as opposed to the busy, noisy main road proved to be an excellent choice. The gardens and hotel rear grounds directly faced the lake – a wonderful, peaceful vista. Our rooms were bright and clean with simple Mayan textiles used for decorations, and each room had a hammock sling outside on their individual veranda overlooking the gardens.

The broad garden with its huge Ceiba tree taking centre stage is creatively planted with native trees, plants and flowers to entice the indigenous birds. An informative Maya calendar is also arranged within the garden.

The Ceiba Tree is the national tree of Guatemala and a sacred tree in the Mayan culture. For the Maya it represents the stable world centre. It constitutes a line of balance that unites the underworld, heavens and earth. It has a remarkable straight trunk and buttress roots – and is often referred to as the ‘Tree of Life’.

On our 2nd evening, an early evening a short fire show display was lit featuring the Ceiba tree and the gardens.

El Remate village is known for its wood carving. On our final departure morning we visited a local co-operative woodworking shed to see some of their ‘ work in progress’ pieces currently being made and many of the group purchase items from their roadside stall/store. Yes the large Mayan symbols of various gods were intricate and interesting – but very grotesque faces and bodies.
Comments
Vessel Name: La Aventura
Crew: James & Patti

Who: James & Patti