La Aventura with Patti & James

06 July 2018 | Faial Island –Atlantic Portugal
24 June 2018 | National Holiday day in Faial
22 June 2018 | afternoon whale watching boat trip
20 June 2018 | an enjoyable day trip to another island.
19 June 2018 | Fabulous Faial. – Azorean Island
18 June 2018 | Faial Island – Horta Harbour - Mid Atlantic
29 May 2018 | Mid Atlantic - in the middle of nowhere
26 May 2018 | the cruising yachtsman’s haven
25 May 2018 | party day in Hamilton
10 May 2018 | Vero Beach/Ft Pierce –road trip to Jacksonville.
12 April 2018 | Vibeke onboard
17 March 2018 | lovely to return to Belize and Mexico and meet up with sailing friends along the way
24 January 2018 | I have become so interested in Guatemala textiles
17 January 2018 | So great to catchup with so many friends and our families
01 November 2017 | what a wonderful Guatemalan fiesta to experience
29 October 2017 | Volcanic crater
28 October 2017 | Antiqua - Guatemala

Chesapeake to Maine

27 June 2013 | EAST COAST - USA
EARLY SEASON WEATHER(not great) – through the states of Delaware, New Jersey, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New Hampshire,
IMAGE - Patti at the helm of USS Constitution - Boston.

TO SEE MORE PHOTOS - OPEN THE ATTACHED LINKS BELOW - THEN OPEN VIEW ALBUMS

ATLANTIC CITY

Click here to view these pictures larger


BLOCK ISLAND

Click here to view these pictures larger


NEWPORT

Click here to view these pictures larger


MARTHAS VINEYARD

Click here to view these pictures larger


ONSET BAY & CAPE COD CANAL

Click here to view these pictures larger


BOSTON

Click here to view these pictures larger


ISLE OF SHOALS

Click here to view these pictures larger


PORTLAND - MAINE

Click here to view these pictures larger


BOOTHBAY HARBOUR

Click here to view these pictures larger


SOUTH AFRICA & NAMIBIA:

Click here to view these pictures larger


MAY Wed 22. After a few days enjoying Annapolis and getting the boat and ourselves ready to be off again La Aventura finally left Back Creek - the anchor and chain was SO full of river mud it took ages to clean and clear it all off, and the log was not running. After filling the water and fuel we set off north up the Chesapeake Bay, anchoring for the night at the Sassafras River. At our weekly SSB chat with Ednbal and Koza, we could clearly hear them, but they could not hear us. Rodger and Sasha were really enjoying Cuba and Jim & Carola had just arrived in Bermuda and their first impressions were very good.
Thur 23 We were up at the crack of dawn to catch the tide up to the top of the Chesapeake Bay and into the Chesapeake & Delaware canal(C & D canal). All went well - so we made good progress. We had now crossed into Delaware state waters. We really did luck out with south winds to push us up the Chesapeake Bay and now north winds down the Delaware Bay. The C & D canal was very much like the Kiel Canal in Germany - wide, deep and about 20 miles with large cargo shipping - thankfully we only had one large container ship pass by us. After exiting the canal we headed for Delaware City hoping to get an alongside the free dock for the night in Delaware city - but no such luck - the harbourmaster from the local marina informed James on the VHF that the spot we had pulled alongside to would dry out! and that we could only stay 4 hours in any 24 hours - or stay in the expensive marina. With no other options we pushed on out into Delaware Bay to anchor with some protection off Reedy Island by early afternoon - in cloudy and overcast conditions and threatening thunderstorms for the night. A new sight for us was the nearby nuclear power station.
Fri 24 - a long cold day. After a very windy night we left Reedy Creek at 6am and were quickly out into the Bay and moving along with the current - with a north wind building up to 20 knots, giving us a good push. The day was cloudy and overcast. As the current dropped off the winds rose from north - right behind us -so we had a good day, doing on average about 4.5 knots over the day. It got wetter - just drizzle, and colder as the day moved on - but we were making good progress. Now in New Jersey state, as we rounded Cape May Point with the current, and into Cape May inlet entrance - thankfully as we would not have made it in with 25 knots on the nose. We finally anchored about 4pm with 5/6 other yachts -and put 2 anchors down due to the strong winds and currents. It was great to get down below, have a hot shower to warm up then hid below for the evening with the winds howling. We had a well earned drink, dinner and watched a movie.
Sat 25 - at anchor in Cape May - gales. Blue skies and sunshine but chilly north wind. We did not get off the boat - just an R & R day reading and sleeping. No movement from any of the other yachts.
Sun 26 - clear blue skies and sunshine - the gales winds had dropped off, but still 15-20 knots. Most of our neighbours moved on - over Sunday cooked breakfast we watched the big coastguard boat move out from the dock with lots of assistance from 3 TowUS boats - 1 hour later it came back in again needing lots of assistance - thankfully no one asked us to move as we were anchored off the coast guard station. I did some sewing and mending with the sewing machine in the cockpit - making an extension to our rain awning and sorting a few clothes etc. A live band from the nearby marina gave us enjoyable background music blown by the wind during the afternoon.
Mon 27 - Memorial Day USA holiday. We set off to sail from Cape May to Atlantic City. As always there is either too much wind or not enough - so we had a frustrating day sailing and motor sailing. When we arrived off Atlantic City we anchored with 5 other yachts near the Golden Nugget Casino.
Tue 28 -a day in Atlantic City - all our neighbours had moved on - so we were all alone in the anchorage. We took the dingy up into Gardner basin, but couldn't find the public dock so tied to a disused dock - surround housing area a bit doggy. The other side of the basin was full of large working fishing boats - so the area was a bit smelly and industrial. The weather closed in and we got caught in heavy rain showers. We walked the famous boardwalk - but found it all a bit outdated and tacky. Had coffee at Caesars Palace casino and then wanted to visit the big outlet shopping area - but we only bought umbrellas to keep us dry. We did our weekly food shopping in the local area of town - sad, rundown and poor, with some desperate characters. We spent a few afternoon hours until 7pm in the Golden Nugget Casino using their excellent public Wi-Fi for James to get his downloads and me to look at passage and anchorages planning and to Skype Mum. The slot machines would not take our quarters - so now big wins!
Wed 29 With an overnight sail planned, we left Atlantic City at first light -and had a good sail with main and poled out genoa. Great sailing until 2am, then we lost the wind, so motored for a few hours overnight.
Thur 30 - now into Rhode Island State - from 9am under spinnaker in light winds. We had great downwind sailing passage to Block Island, arriving about 4pm. Great Salt Pond harbour was totally full of mooring balls (with few being used) so anchored far out.
Friday 31 - BLOCK ISLAND - a small pork chop shaped island, just 12 miles off the Rhode Island mainland - 6 miles long and 3 miles wide .Beautiful sunny, dry and warm day, with little wind. James did a few boat jobs and I did some boat inside cleaning for most of the day - and chill-out afternoon/evening.

MAY
SAT 1 - BLOCK ISLAND. The wind died down in the morning- enough to launch dingy and go into Chaplains marina to the dingy dock. We hired bicycles from the concession at Champlain's and had a wonderful few hours riding around the island. Very touristy - with quality Arts and Craft shops, many small hotel/B & B, and cottages to rent. Most visitors come to the island on the ferry from Long Island. Lovely rolling hills felt a little like Jersey/Guernsey with narrow lanes with stone boarders. We got quick internet connection at the local library to check the weather. The wind picked up again in the afternoon/evening - apparently it's the local wind pattern here - with considerable wind through the anchorage in Great Salt Pond and beyond the breakwater calms prevail.
SUN 2 - BLOCK ISLAND TO NEWPORT. After Sunday breakfast and a slow start we set off for Newport. We had a lovely sail- full main, poled out genoa and cutter also a times. We sailed right into Newport Harbour - and KOZA was the first yacht we saw in the anchorage! Jim and Carola joined us for late afternoon drinks and dinner on board - Pork roast and French potatoes went done really well. It was lovely to be together again with these Aussie mates.
MON 3 NEWPORT. Cold, wet and miserable day -we launched the dingy and went into the new Maritime Centre and dingy dock. Had a quick walk of the town -but too wet to see of enjoy. Spend afternoon in the excellent facilities at the Maritime Centre with Weather Channel TV and good internet connection - what else to do on such a bad weather day. Met OCC members Moria and Dick from Equinox, also making use of the centre, they informed us that we were now OCC members! Our communication with the OCC secretary Richard was been very poor indeed. Full on FOG when we left to go back to the boat - could not see at all to find our way home. This was a first real experience of thick fog... and we feel there is more to come!
TUE 4 - NEWPORT. A windy front came through overnight and we woke to a bright, sunny day with a brisk n/w wind. We made the most of the day by doing the Cliff Walk - this 3 mile path along the rocky coast provides a back lawn view of the homes on Bellevue Avenue and Ocean Drive, past the famous summer cottages built by the 'American Royalty' - Vanderbilt's, Astor's and Belmont's . Most of the 'cottages' are huge mansions - the most opulent is 'The Breakers' which is open to the public. This is a real Great Gatsby area. Also around the headland of Newport is the outstanding Salve Regina University property owned by the Catholic Church and the Sisters of Mercy! Back in Newport we walked around the cobblestoned town, through Banisters Wharf and docks area and Thames Street. This upmarket retail and restaurant hub bears no sign of its notorious past 'Blood Alley' sailors haunt. We proudly walked up the Americas Cup Avenue - these were the waters in 1983 when the famous Alan Bond, Ben Lexan and John Bertrand yacht 'Australia2'won the Cup from the Americans. We took a look at the Newport Yacht club - all really lovely - it's great to be here in our own boat in such an iconic yachting and sailor's port. We had lunch at Aloha Cafe in the Seaman's Mission before heading back to the Maritime Centre for a few more hours of downloads and internet time. The outer harbour was a hive of activity in the late afternoon with twilight sailing - a great site to watch from the boat whilst we were having our sundowners.
WED 5 - NEWPORT TO MARTHAS VINEYARD -into Massachusetts State. We left at 6am on the early outgoing tide on a lovely clear sunny morning. Sadly not enough wind to sail - so motor-sailed - with a little sailing, with the afternoon wind picked up coming up through Vineyard Sound with the Elizabeth Islands to our left and the Vineyard on our right. We had a good far off binoculars view of some of the large and exclusive housing on the coast alone the shoreline. The Vineyard Haven town anchorage was full of mooring balls and fishing markers - making finding a spot to anchor and not get caught up in the various mooring and fishing lines under the water difficult - we had two neighbours -a large Dutch ketch and a another yacht which arrived about the same time as us. We had a weak Wi-Fi connection, but could not hear Koza or Ednbal on the SSB net tonight at 7pm.
THUR 6 - MARTHAS VINEYARD. Another warn and sunny day, but a chilly breeze from the north. It was a short dingy ride into the safe little harbour and town dingy dock, where we arranged a scooter hire for a few hours to zoom around the island for a quick look. The whole island is about 100 square miles. We had a look at a few of the small towns. Vineyard Haven is the largest and busiest of the islands harbours, due to the main commercial dock. Oak Bluffs has a tourist ferry terminal and is the original Methodist meeting town. Edgartown is now the summer enclave for the rich city folk, and many classic wooden yachts are on moorings in the small harbour. In its past it was the home of ¼ of America whaling fleet. The tree line streets and elegant homes are signs of the wealthy colonial settlement. West Tisbury, Chilmark and a lunch stop at the quaint fishing village of Menemsha - which is working hard at staying unspoilt. Sadly not enough time to wander the streets, or take to many photos.....next time! We watched the very small ferry cross to the totally exclusive island of 'Chappy' Chappaquiddick the summer home of the rich, famous and powerful politically families - i.e. the Kennedys. The local newspaper had a story about the Obama family and their past summer holiday here and trying to identify exactly which property there were going to rent during this coming August holidays. The whole of Martha's Vineyard has an expensive and exclusive feel about it - and rightly so when US$1million is the starting price for any small basic cottage here and summer rent for house is upwards of US$5,00 per week .The Island has an interesting history steeped in religious piety. There are no vineyards - in fact parts of the island are still 'dry' due to the original laws passed by the Methodist settlers, who held summer camp meetings with sermons and preaching from the early 1830's to the mid 1860's. Their tents grew into small 'gingerbread' cottages - with splendid ornamental facades and iconic Wesley Hotel in Oak Bluffs is testament to this history. We spent a few hours in the afternoon treating ourselves to the facilities of the local 5 star hotel spa at the Mansion House. Full length swimming pool, 107deg hot tub/Jacuzzi, sauna, steam room were almost exclusively ours for the afternoon - all for $18 each - a great treat. Sadly the evening weather forecast was for winds to change to north east, with rain. This anchorage is open to the North - so we needed to put the dingy away and prepare for an early morning departure. I would like to come back to Martha Vineyard again and have more time to wander the streets of the few little towns on the island.
FRI7 - MATHAS VINEYARD TO ONSET. As forecast the east winds picked up in the night and by 5am we just had enough light to pick our way through the lobster pots and out of the anchorage. We set sail across Vineyard Sound to Woody's Hole and the Victoria Islands to cut through this gap into Buzzards Bay and up into the Cape Cod Canal. The pilot book says Woodys Hole marks the difficult and sometimes dangerous passage between Buzzards Bay and Vineyard Sound - with tidal currents of 5 knots or more. It also says 'Woodys Hole passage is a strait to be entered with respect and to be made a slack tide just as the tide is turning in your favour'. Well at 7am we hit it a 3 hours after high water - and it was impossible to make any progress with both engines at 3000revs and the genoa with 15 knots to help us! Thankfully we could turn around and pop into Eel Pond and pick up a mooring for a few hours until the tide stopped ripping through. Our 2nd pass through was a piece of cake at slack tide. We had plenty of wind to push us up the next 12 miles along the eastern shore of Buzzards Bay and into the anchorage off the town of Onset. Rounding Hog Neck and into the narrow and difficult channel was also very tough going with the strong current against us. We anchored just outside the mooring field with the wind rising and drizzly by mid afternoon. There was heavy rain throughout the night.
SAT 8 - ONSET BAY at 1am all hell broke loose! The wind quickly picked up to gusting 27 knots and the wind came through from the south - completely opposite to the direction we had laid the anchor from - and we started to drag! In drizzly rain and constant 25 knot wind we managed to raise the anchor, narrowly miss the moored yachts and motor boats and re-anchor with 2 anchors down. This storm raged through for a few hours and by 8am we were back to laying north and all had settled down, with sunshine and patches of blue skies by the mid afternoon.
SUN 9 ONSET BAY- Lovely sunny day. We had a walk of this lovely little seaside holiday village.
MON 10 ONSET BAY - wet and windy day. Now making the most of the internet connection from the boatyard. Went into boatyard to go alongside a highwater to top up with diesel.
TUE 11 ONSET BAY - still waiting for the weather - thick fog today. Looking at the up-coming weather forecast we will now not be going out to Providence Town at Cape Cod - the weather systems just keep rolling though the Cape - instead we will now head straight to Boston. We had a walk into town to do so food shopping, and did some cleaning of the s/steel arch.
WED 12 ONSET BAY - wind North West today - and we want to go North West! So another day in Onset Bay.
THUR 13 ONSET BAY TO BOSTON. We finally left Onset Bay and motored to the Cape Cod Canal at 8.30am - which was the right timing for slack tide and then a little push with the tide through the Canal. I was very pleased that I had found the NOAA site with the tide and current information - so we now have some correct info to refer to! It was a lovely sunny day and many walkers and fisherman were out on the banks of the canal. Thankfully did not meet any commercial traffic in the canal. Good sailing day with a south wind - so goose winging with the genoa polled out. We knew that our arrival would be right at the end of the daylight at about 8pm - but we totally lost sight of Boston in a rain shower and mist so we had a tough arrival moving carefully from buoy to buoy on the plotter through the tricky harbour entry. Thankfully my research had been correct and we found a safe and protected anchorage off the South Boston Yacht Club. By the time we had anchored the wind was picking up and we laid 2 anchors. With this wind direction we were right under the arrival fly path for the Boston Logan airport - not very relaxing! We were both exhausted after the tough wet and cold arrival - the wind howled all night and the last plane overhead was about 12.30am and the 1st one was at 4.30am.
FRI 14 BOSTON - The weather in the morning was still wet and cold, but the wind had dropped off - and the weather improved enough to set off on a Tourist Day in Boston by mid morning. The staff at the SBYC were very helpful and friendly and it was no problem to safely leave the dingy there for the day The no. 11 bustop was right outside the door of the yacht club and this took us right into downtown Boston - all too easy. We went to the main transport office to purchase our weekly travel cards - excellent value at $18 for 7 days or unlimited bus and metro travel. Next stop was the Tourist Info office to get maps, guide etc and then it was off on foot to explore Boston. We decided to follow the historical Freedom Trail - which began at the Boston Common Tourist Info Kiosk. The Freedom Trail has 16 main colonial and revolutionary era stopping points and sights and whilst roughly following the 'red line walk' we wandered though the various central districts of Beacon Hill, North End and Charlestown. We had an excellent lunch at the historical Quincy's Market - the market had several different outlets selling every type of food imaginable - spoilt for choice I had real US food - a Philadelphia steak and fries and James enjoyed some fresh seafood. The afternoon gradually got warmer and the sun came out -so our clothing layers started to come off as we walked through the city. My school days American History all coming back - i.e. Boston Tea Party, Civil War, and The Boston Massacre. When passing through 'Little Italy' in the North End district where we had an excellent Italian espresso to perk us up and give us a moment to rest our now tired feet. Our tourist day ended with an excellent tour of the USS Constitution in the Charlestown Navy Yard. This brought back great memories of our tour of the Constitutions sister-ship and British 'Old Ironside' The Victory in Portsmouth Dry Dock in southern England. Foot sore and weary we caught the bus home to La Aventura still safely at anchor in South Boston harbour - a great day.
SAT 15 BOSTON - Tourist day again today. We visited the Back Bay district to wandering along and do some people watching in the very posh and expensive Newbury Street. We walked the popular shopping street - Boylston Street and visited the very recent Boston Bomb memorial site. This terrorist incident happened on Memorial Day - 27th April when the 2013 Boston Marathon was being held. Many of the runners had left their running shoes tired to the railings, a sad and poignant sight. We had lunch at the Prudential Centre, visited Downtown Crossing and Chinatown before spending the afternoon wandering around the streets of Cambridge - and especially through Harvard Yard and through the superior grounds of the Harvard University. The great summer weather today had bought everyone out and the parks and public gardens around the city were full. All the little boats out on the Charles River, with the city skyscrapers as a backdrop was a memorable photo stop. The Boston Pops (Boston Symphony Orchestra) outdoor auditorium called the Hatch Shell was great to see and then remember all those 4th of July TV performances watched over the years. Our final stop of the day was at the famous Cheers Bar for James to enjoy. We had visited Cheers in Beacon Hill back in 1985 on our last visit to Boston - and it was still the same name plaque and basement bar. Again footsore and tourist tied we headed back to the boat for dinner before coming back in to the Yacht Club bar for the evening to watch the local Bruins Ice Hockey team in an important Stanley Cup final game. We met a few of the club officials and everyone was very helpful and friendly.
SUN 16 BOSTON - James didn't get to cook our traditional Sunday breakfast today - instead we were invited to join the Yacht Club Commodore -Richie for breakfast at the Clubhouse. He is an interesting guy - a now part-time US marine and local Boston Police Man - but not a sailor or boater! -although he does have a kayak. Our final tourist thing was a visit to the JFK Museum. This museum is located on the waterfront at Dorchester Bay, a great East Boston waterfront spot- how cool to see our yacht across the Bay from this museum! We enjoyed several hours at this excellent museum and tribute to the life of John F Kennedy the 35th President of the United States. - the special exhibition on the Cuban Missile Crisis was very interesting indeed. Finally we stopped off at the local Stop and Shop to do our weekly food shopping and then back to the boat. James went into the Yacht Club to get some internet downloads and I prepared for of departure early tomorrow.
MON 17 BOSTON - We headed out of Boston harbour with the help of the current and headed along the Massachusetts coast for the ISLE OF SHOLES and into our next state New Hampshire . We knew we were in for a long day - but had some great spinnaker sailing to help push us along.... until the afternoon thunderstorms! We had 35 knots squall and 180 deg wind shift and overcast and squally conditions for most of the afternoon. We were in Whale watching waters - and 'think' we may have seen a whale just off the starboard bow - but we did see a lovely friendly seal in the late afternoon. We finally arrived into the tiny safe Gosport harbour at 9pm - thankfully in the half moon light to pick up a mooring buoy for the night. Coming into the Isle of Sholes was very erry; The little group of 9 islands have fantastic names - Sumittnose, Appledore, and Star - but it is a very remote and desolate.
TUE 18 - ISLE OF SHOLES TO PORTLAND. On to our next state - the state of Maine, which boarders Canada. Another good days sail. We knew we were in Maine waters good and proper when all 100's of lobster pots were around us - just how many lobsters can there be in these waters! Entering Portland through the many small islands of Casco Bay was lovely. We anchored in a great spot off the Portland Yacht Services boatyard. The people and passing boat watching was very enjoyable during the late afternoon. We are enjoying the long daylight hours. The light early mornings help us with our early starts and the late afternoons to sit back in the cockpit with sundowners to chill-out.
WED 19 PORTLAND. We explored most of downtown Portland on foot today. Up and down the streets of the town and out to the various viewpoints over the harbour. Portland has many arts and crafts shops, a good public market and the feel of a big commercial town. We also found the excellent chandlery close by for some odds and ends, and to purchase a new handheld VHF.
THUR 20 PORTLAND TO BOOTHBAY HARBOUR. Lovely, lovely sailing - the shoreline reminding us very much of Norway and Sweden. We sailed right into the beautiful little harbour - side-by-side the classic New England Windjammer Schooner 'Eastwind'. We anchored just outside the main harbour, near the Yacht Club - it's great to be here!
FRI 21 BOOTHBAY HARBOUR. Clothes washing, shopping and cleaning day today. Thankfully the day was not too hot as we had a long walk out of town to the self-service laundry - thankfully a lovely local lady stopped and gave us a lift, and the laundry owner dropped us back in town after we were finished. The local supermarket Hannafords was excellent. In the afternoon the Harbourmaster called by to say welcome and give us a welcome pack - how lovely - Everyone we have come across so far has been happy, friendly and helpful.
SAT 22 - BOOTHBAY HARBOUR. boat jobs day - Whilst cleaning out the vacuum cleaner sadly died today - poor little thing it had done many years of hard work.
SUN 23 -SOUTHPORT ISLAND. cloud and rain to start the day - then an afternoon of sunshine. After Sunday cooked breakfast we made telephone contact with Maureen and Bruce. They arrived by dingy to guide us back to their mooring. After lots of chatting we went via the lifting bridge to their mooring up in Southport off the Boothbay Region Boatyard. We all enjoyed a drive around the little island - to the Southport Yacht Club and then back to their lovely home set amongst the trees for a cold beer and more chat.
MON 24 SOUTHPORT ISLAND .Maureen and Bruce lent us their truck for the day - so we drove over to East Boothbay to get our mainsail to the sailmaker. The boatyard facilities are just what we need - great showers, laundry, a rigger to get a quote for the replacement of our rigging and a diesel mechanic booked to take a look at engine 1 when we return.
TUE 25 SOUTHPORT ISLAND. Windjammer Festival Day - we all went together in Bruce & Maureen's dingy into town for an on the water view of the festivities. It was lovely to see the Historical Boat Parade, listen to the local musical concert and watch the various festival activities.
WED 26 SOUTHPORT ISLAND. With La Aventura safe on the mooring, it was a final clean-up, packing and locking up. James had to make a quick climb to the top of the mast to take down our wind instruments and put up some large and strong cable ties to keep the birds away and stop them making a nest at the top of the mast whilst we are away. Maureen & Bruce took us into the town of Wiscasset, where we were to start our long journey - bus to Portland, bus to the airport and then to the Hotel airport for the night, before flying on to New York and then to Cape Town.
THUR 27 - AFRICA here we come!! We are now away travelling in Cape Town SA and Namibia for 3 weeks. We will meet up with Penny for our week in Cape Town and then with Sue, Abrie and all the Virgin Islands gang in Windhoek, Namibia on 5th July for our weeks desert dune 4 wheel drive trip and then time in the Etosha National Game Park, with all the beautiful animals.
Comments
Vessel Name: La Aventura
Crew: James & Patti

Who: James & Patti