La Aventura with Patti & James

06 July 2018 | Faial Island –Atlantic Portugal
24 June 2018 | National Holiday day in Faial
22 June 2018 | afternoon whale watching boat trip
20 June 2018 | an enjoyable day trip to another island.
19 June 2018 | Fabulous Faial. – Azorean Island
18 June 2018 | Faial Island – Horta Harbour - Mid Atlantic
29 May 2018 | Mid Atlantic - in the middle of nowhere
26 May 2018 | the cruising yachtsman’s haven
25 May 2018 | party day in Hamilton
10 May 2018 | Vero Beach/Ft Pierce –road trip to Jacksonville.
12 April 2018 | Vibeke onboard
17 March 2018 | lovely to return to Belize and Mexico and meet up with sailing friends along the way
24 January 2018 | I have become so interested in Guatemala textiles
17 January 2018 | So great to catchup with so many friends and our families
01 November 2017 | what a wonderful Guatemalan fiesta to experience
29 October 2017 | Volcanic crater
28 October 2017 | Antiqua - Guatemala

Southport - North Carolina

17 July 2015 | an exchange of friendship between Australian and US Southport sailors
safe on the free town dock

Image James with Robert & Kay – an afternoon on their front porch.

11th & 12 July - We had 2 nights on passage north – all good sailing from Florida, passing the Georgia and South Carolina coasts.
Chris Parker was forecasting thunderstorms – and yes we had squally weather and several wind changes – but we were all OK at sea.

13th July - With thunderstorms again forecast we had a timely early afternoon arrival into Southport – North Carolina.
We knew where we were heading – into the free dock right in the old harbour. We arrived and a motor boat was on our dock...but thankfully not for long – so we could up the anchor and move alongside.

The locals all came for a look and a chat – not intrusive, just interested and friendly. Robert had a boat in the dock and a house across the road and he befriended us.

14,15, &16th - Three very pleasant and enjoyable days in glorious little Southport.
Being able to walk-on and walk off the boat made it all very easy indeed to explore the town and enjoy the waterfront.

We did have evening thunderstorms – those further out at sea were very violent – and even a named tropical storm quickly popped up and passed through.

There was a weekly town market on Wednesday on the town green with lots of interesting craft and produce stands. The local Maritime Museum was excellent to wander through.

Our afternoons were spend at the local library on the internet, and sunset drinks were thoroughly enjoyed with Robert and Kay on their front porch looking out over both our boats in the docks below and out over the Cape Fear entrance.

On Thursday morning Kay drove us to the local supermarket to do our weekly shopping whilst she was also doing hers – and Robert kept an eye on our 2 loads of laundry up at their home – just such lovely, friendly and welcoming people.

Used up the Sat Phone credit to have a chat with Mum – Toms wedding will be in Byron Bay on 6th Feb... and I am expected to be there.

Late on Thursday evening we had a visit from a few members of the local Southport Yacht Club – there had been told by Robert that Southport was our homeport in Australia and they came to present us with their Southport Yacht Club burgee – what a wonderful surprise.
I was so lovely to meet them all and have a chat. The burgee is now proudly hung in La Aventura and a wonderful memento of our visit to Southport NC. - 3 days and a wonderful stop.

17th July - departed Southport on morning hightide about 8am.
What a great stopover. A quick wave goodbye to Robert watching us from his home front porch and we were off down the Cape Fear River to Wrightsville Beach.
Comments
Vessel Name: La Aventura
Crew: James & Patti

Who: James & Patti