La Aventura with Patti & James

06 July 2018 | Faial Island –Atlantic Portugal
24 June 2018 | National Holiday day in Faial
22 June 2018 | afternoon whale watching boat trip
20 June 2018 | an enjoyable day trip to another island.
19 June 2018 | Fabulous Faial. – Azorean Island
18 June 2018 | Faial Island – Horta Harbour - Mid Atlantic
29 May 2018 | Mid Atlantic - in the middle of nowhere
26 May 2018 | the cruising yachtsman’s haven
25 May 2018 | party day in Hamilton
10 May 2018 | Vero Beach/Ft Pierce –road trip to Jacksonville.
12 April 2018 | Vibeke onboard
17 March 2018 | lovely to return to Belize and Mexico and meet up with sailing friends along the way
24 January 2018 | I have become so interested in Guatemala textiles
17 January 2018 | So great to catchup with so many friends and our families
01 November 2017 | what a wonderful Guatemalan fiesta to experience
29 October 2017 | Volcanic crater
28 October 2017 | Antiqua - Guatemala

Passage to Ft Lauderdale

30 November 2015 | some good sailing and then a few days motoring south on the ICW
the southern Florida weather is so much warmer – great.

IMAGE welcome to Ft Lauderdale sign on our final bridge.

SUNDAY 22 The wind kicked in well enough to sail from early morning. All going OK until the autopilot decided it had had enough – so now 2 hours on and 2 hours off handsteering – thankfully we have a backup of the Hydrovane wind steering. As we were off Jacksonville just on dark, James checked the tide info and we had a favourable tide to get into Jacksonville - so decided to take a break and have an overnight stop. We had entered this port back in July so were OK with the night entry, and knew exactly where to head to the transit dock for the night. We arrived onto the dock just inside the channel about 8.30pm. Dinner and off to bed – it was a very cold night – but we were warm and both got a good nights sleep – ready for another passage tomorrow.

MONDAY 23 The small craft launching dock proved a great overnight stop. We listened in to the 6.30am Chris Parker forecast, had a lovely hot shower and set off again – all refreshed and ready to go. Good passage, and the wind and autopilot were working well together.

TUESDAY 24 -As forecast a stormy sail, 25 knots – thankfully the wind was behind us, and a good direction to achieve good speed of 6 knots for this passage. We arrived off Ft Pierce entrance 1 hour after dark at 6.30pm. Thankfully it is a safe, well-lit, short entrance – and we made it with the current taking us in – otherwise it could have been a disaster!! We made our way into our chosen shallow anchorage with the keel up – 2 other yachts at anchor there already. Dinner and an early night for a good nights sleep – the winds really blew-up all night.

WEDNESDAY 25 - After listening to Chris Parker at 7.30am, he confirmed that we have just made it into the protected ICW waters before the east winds really picked-up outside. I had wanted to go to the Cruisers Thanksgiving get-together at Vero Beach – but after contacting them on the phone at 8am all their moorings were full to overflowing. As the ‘outside’ weather was terrible we now had no option but to move on south via the ICW. I made contact with the OCC Port Officer in Ft Lauderdale to arrange for our post to be sent to her. Also Chris, David & Harry Hart will be in the Ft Lauderdale from next weekend to attend the Miami Art Fair– so it will be great to meet up with them.
23 miles ICW motoring today from Ft Pierce to Manatee Pocket. Still very windy, and some short, sharp showers – and at times a little chopping on the ICW. All OK. We arrived mid afternoon into the very protected anchorage and launched the dingy for a look around. The Pirate Cove resort proved a perfect spot for some internet time to do the now important ICW research.

THURSDAY 26 - Thanksgiving Day. A day off day for us – less windy, but still not great weather – this anchorage has good protection. In warm sunshine we had a leg-stretching walk to and from the supermarket. Spent a few hours on the great internet at Pirates Cove Resort.

FRIDAY 27 - 27 miles ICW motoring today from Manatee Pocket to North Lake Worth anchorage. A real ‘drive’ past the waterfront homes of the rich and famous. We managed to pass through the 7 bridges all OK – but a bit stressful at times. We had the 2 Canadian yachts from Manatee Pocket with us – one especially had no idea and raced away and then had to go round and round in circles waiting for the bridge. Great anchorage in North Lake Worth – lots of yachts – mainly Canadian & American, all waiting for a crossing opportunity to the Bahamas. 2 great and totally unexpected sights today were a lone jetpak air aerobics display in mid channel!! AND 3 guys using their front lawn as a golf driving range!! Many of the front lawns of the palatial homes were so well manicured they could easily have been bowls greens or golf courses. The evening lights around the goldfish bowl anchorage were lovely – especially as some of the apartments and homes have their Christmas decorations up.

SATURDAY 29 - 29 miles on ICW – 12 bridges – at times very frustrating indeed – motoring and motor- sailing. Fast – slow- stop – speed up, slow down, one engine – two engines etc, etc.
More waterside homes to look at- more boat and water craft traffic today. Long day – up and 6.30am and dropped anchor in the Lake Boca Raton anchorage by 4.30pm. The anchorage was much better than the Active Captain reports – not crowded or noisy.

SUNDAY 30 - 16 miles on ICW into Ft Lauderdale – 7 bridges. All went OK – but we didn’t race along as we were not in a hurry to push the engines again. The waterside homes were again WOW – good and very bad too! We made our way off the ICW and into the Middle River anchorage in the suburb of Sunrise about 1pm. About 10 other yachts in this anchorage– all Canadians – one was a yacht from last nights anchorage. Just after anchoring our nearest neighbour came over to give us the local info – dingy dock, supermarket, buses, laundry are apparently all nearby. They and most of the others have been stuck here for over a week waiting to get to the Bahamas. This should be a good ‘homebase’ here in Ft Lauderdale for the next week.
Comments
Vessel Name: La Aventura
Crew: James & Patti

Who: James & Patti