Around the World

23 February 2013 | Similan Islands Thailand
21 February 2013 | Bay of Bengal
15 February 2013 | Cinque Islands
15 February 2013 | Henry Lawrence Island
12 February 2013 | North Button Island
10 February 2013 | Henry Lawrence Island
09 February 2013 | Havelock Island
06 February 2013 | Neil Island
04 February 2013 | Rutland Island
01 February 2013 | Andaman Sea
30 January 2013 | Port Blair
26 January 2013 | Andaman Sea
26 January 2013 | Andaman Sea
03 December 2012 | Burma
02 December 2012
08 November 2012
08 November 2012 | Thailand
08 November 2012
10 June 2012 | Rebak Marina Langkawi
06 February 2012 | Malaysia

Mediterranean ambience and stone forests

22 January 2010 | Kunming
Michael and Jackie
Kunming in Yunnan Province has a completely different feeling from Yunnan. Instead of the chill smog of the Northern Cities. We arrived to a city with flowers, blue skies, pleasant streets to walk in, and even more surprisingly cars seem to obey mostly pedestrian lights so you can cross the road without being mowed down by cars turning left. Admittedly there are still scooters, bicycles and the odd bus to avoid but a really pleasant city. People walk slowly here, girls sit on scooters as if it was Italy. People chat in the squares - what a difference to the determined thrust of the Shanghai or Beijing crowds.

We headed into town from the airport by taxi without hassle and found the New Era Hotel, basically a Chinese business hotel right in the centre of town. The welcome was really friendly with an English speaking Sarah sorting everything possible.

The following day we took a car to the Stone Forest, a journey of about 60km. Our driver headed out through the flyovers, past the broken down trucks and dented cars on the flyovers to the expressway East. The motorway system in China is an amazing exercise in infrastructure. Perhaps not a surprise when you consider all the Central Committee are engineers. Still this massive country is criss crossed with motorways of a higher standard than you would find in the UK or the US. In most cases a private company leases them and charges tolls. However, the sight of people wearing Vietnamese style straw hats walking across the motorway with a broom and dustpan to clean the road still comes as a surprise. The odd bicyclist will cycle down the hard shoulder the wrong way and occasionally a horse and cart appear from the opposite direction. Huge trucks charge along the roads but curiously they are not covered as in the UK with a hard roof, but simply have loads tied with tarpaulin and rope.

The motorway cuts through river valleys which have been tamed by a series of dams. All the agriculture seems to be small scale horticulture. The plots are small and there is no sign of tractors. The small plots, invariably terraced and irrigated are ploughed either by water buffalo or small cultivators. A striking contrast to the cities where every shop is selling the latest phone or electronic device.

As we rise higher the scenery changes to limestone karst. At our destination even the roundabout circles limstone pillars. Whichever way you look you can see limestone pillars.

The stone forest is a national park and has been highly developed as a tourist destination. Young women in local costume are everywhere, encouraging you to buy a guide or take a tour. There is a perimeter road around which electric carts drive Chinese tour groups to the main beauty spots. These can be quite crowded. However, simply stepping off onto the numerous paths in the forest of limestone pillars brings solitude. Once we had stepped off the main track we only saw three or four people. The tourist route concentrates on specific named stones with a resemblance to living things or people. Some of the most spectacular scenery is to be found on the narrow maze of paths in the interior. Deep gorges and caves, high pillars, spectacular formations all can be enjoyed in peace and calm.

We returned via the small village to the north of the park. Small scale cultivation is cheek to jowl with the park, and villagers struggle to make a living, growing corn and vegetables using hand ploughs side by side with all the paraphernalia of modern tourism.

We returned to Kunming to continue our exploration of the town. Near to the university we found streets of small boutique shops selling trendy young people's clothes interspersed with numerous friendly cafes, and close by towards the lake more classy restaurants. Truly a pleasant city.

---------- radio email processed by SailMail for information see: http://www.sailmail.com
Comments
Vessel Name: Lady Kay
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 380
Hailing Port: Falmouth
Crew: Michael & Jackie Chapman
Lady Kay's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 1 March 2013
Ha'apai islands with Tamsin and Paul
7 Photos
Created 31 May 2009
No Photos
Created 23 November 2008
No Photos
Created 13 August 2008
Petra & Bob's birthday party
10 Photos
Created 2 August 2008
2 Photos
Created 24 July 2008