Around the World

23 February 2013 | Similan Islands Thailand
21 February 2013 | Bay of Bengal
15 February 2013 | Cinque Islands
15 February 2013 | Henry Lawrence Island
12 February 2013 | North Button Island
10 February 2013 | Henry Lawrence Island
09 February 2013 | Havelock Island
06 February 2013 | Neil Island
04 February 2013 | Rutland Island
01 February 2013 | Andaman Sea
30 January 2013 | Port Blair
26 January 2013 | Andaman Sea
26 January 2013 | Andaman Sea
03 December 2012 | Burma
02 December 2012
08 November 2012
08 November 2012 | Thailand
08 November 2012
10 June 2012 | Rebak Marina Langkawi
06 February 2012 | Malaysia

Trip to Brisbane

15 April 2010 | Australia
We had a great trip to Brisbane and it was so good to meet up with Don, Anne, John & Sue again.

We spent the first five nights on Harmonie - a big treat - we have never stayed on her before. The marina where they are berthed is on Moreton Bay and the fishing boats bring in Moreton Bay Bugs (like crayfish except flatter) plus prawns, fish and lobster. Oysters also abound. So no shortage of seafood - yum!

Don has made tremendous progress and is now able to walk without even a stick, but long walks are still out for the moment. We therefore went with Anne into Brisbane City to stroll around and see the sights. We visited South Bank, which is similar to London's South Bank and even has a smaller version of the London Eye. The art galleries there are very good and we enjoyed the exhibition of hats, on loan from the V & A. A walk around buildings of note and through the Botanic Gardens up to the main shopping street completed our tour.

Following day we visited Australia Zoo, founded by the late Steve Irwin. It was highly recommended by Lonely Planet, but we thought it very expensive and somewhat disappointing, although we enjoyed seeing all the animals. The worst part was being forced to sit through over half an hour of Steve Irwin's daughter, Bindi, (aged about ten) singing, dancing and promoting her latest film, before we could see the crocs being fed.

Next day we visited Mooloolaba and had a great lunch overlooking the surf beach. We also went to have a look at the marina as Harmonie may stop there and we were thinking of possibly hauling Lady Kay out there next hurricane season.

On Monday we (or I should say Anne) drove up to Binna Burra Mountain lodge high in the Lamington National Park which is situated on the rim of an ancient caldera. We appreciated the cooler air up there after the heat of the coast. We met up with Sue and John there and we all stayed the night. It was a great spot with lovely views and interesting rain forest walks, but our first walk had the added bonus of acquiring leeches. Ugh! Don had feet covered with leeches and streaming with blood, Anne had them between her toes, despite wearing socks and shoes, and I found one on my feet after my shower and kept waking in the night to imagined leech attacks. However, despite this added frisson we had a great time and managed to see the rare blue crayfish which lives high up in mountain streams, as well as lots of bush turkeys and interesting birds and plants.

We all went back to Storyteller where we spent our last night in Australia. Anne and Don let us have the 'honeymoon suite', while they slept in bunks - very noble of them. Storyteller is in a very smart marina in Southport with lots of restaurants and designer shops in the complex, and a lovely surfing beech just a short walk across from the marina. Sue showed us the sights and we finished the day with a rather boozy Indian meal.

All in all we had a great time in Aus and really appreciated the generous hospitality we had from Don, Anne, John and Sue. They are now making their way up the Australian coast to arrive in Darwin by July.



Comments
Vessel Name: Lady Kay
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 380
Hailing Port: Falmouth
Crew: Michael & Jackie Chapman
Lady Kay's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 1 March 2013
Ha'apai islands with Tamsin and Paul
7 Photos
Created 31 May 2009
No Photos
Created 23 November 2008
No Photos
Created 13 August 2008
Petra & Bob's birthday party
10 Photos
Created 2 August 2008
2 Photos
Created 24 July 2008