Around the World

23 February 2013 | Similan Islands Thailand
21 February 2013 | Bay of Bengal
15 February 2013 | Cinque Islands
15 February 2013 | Henry Lawrence Island
12 February 2013 | North Button Island
10 February 2013 | Henry Lawrence Island
09 February 2013 | Havelock Island
06 February 2013 | Neil Island
04 February 2013 | Rutland Island
01 February 2013 | Andaman Sea
30 January 2013 | Port Blair
26 January 2013 | Andaman Sea
26 January 2013 | Andaman Sea
03 December 2012 | Burma
02 December 2012
08 November 2012
08 November 2012 | Thailand
08 November 2012
10 June 2012 | Rebak Marina Langkawi
06 February 2012 | Malaysia

Yanuca Island

24 May 2010 | Budd Reef
Michael and Jackie
The hurricane hit hardest the islands on the North East of Fiji. We left Rabi island and wended our way through the reefs to the North of Rabi, and then cut across to a narrow gap in Budd reef. Budd reef is a massive circular reef system to the North of Taveuni. In the centre of the reef there are three small islands, one of which is inhabited, Yanuca, (Yanutha) We spent our first night at another small island, Cobia, (Thombia). This is a glorious volcanic island with sandy beeches and basking turtles. Its centre is a lagoon. The island itself a perfect caldera, within a larger caldera.

At Yanuca we anchored off the village school, or what was left of it. Neat gardens stretch down to the sea, four white red cross tents sit on the lawn, each one precisely pitched at an equal distance from the next one. Behind the tents what remains of the school. Four walls, no roof, gutted classrooms and smashed posters. We met the headteacher's wife who confirmed that the tents were unused. They are far too hot to function as classrooms. Instead the 38 pupils of the school are using the community hall in the nearby village as a temporary school. The village is a 30 minute walk along a rocky shore and over a promontory. The school was built in the neighbouring bay because there is a much better water supply there than in the village. The community hall has had a rough partition put up to create three improvised classrooms. Apparently the EU has agreed to fund a new school, but in the meantime schooling continues in the hall and the four pristine red cross tents remain unused.

The village itself is remarkably attractive. It has a beautiful airy setting with modern houses set in grassland around a perfect semi circular bay. There are no traditional houses. People seem relatively prosperous with large boats with big outboards used for collecting beche de mer, sea slugs. These are sold to the Chinese, the locals refer to it as easy money. A brand new photocopier for the school was waiting to be installed. But by contrast there was little paper, or exercise books. People were obviously still shaken by the hurricane, although the village was relatively unscathed. A couple of roofs had been lost, but the main damage was to the school. The locals told us that the biggest tragedy was that a yachtie had anchored in Viani bay and had lost his boat and all his possessions and committed suicide as a result.

We only stayed at the anchorage off the school overnight because it was quite rolly and relatively exposed to the wind.
Comments
Vessel Name: Lady Kay
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 380
Hailing Port: Falmouth
Crew: Michael & Jackie Chapman
Lady Kay's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 1 March 2013
Ha'apai islands with Tamsin and Paul
7 Photos
Created 31 May 2009
No Photos
Created 23 November 2008
No Photos
Created 13 August 2008
Petra & Bob's birthday party
10 Photos
Created 2 August 2008
2 Photos
Created 24 July 2008