Around the World

23 February 2013 | Similan Islands Thailand
21 February 2013 | Bay of Bengal
15 February 2013 | Cinque Islands
15 February 2013 | Henry Lawrence Island
12 February 2013 | North Button Island
10 February 2013 | Henry Lawrence Island
09 February 2013 | Havelock Island
06 February 2013 | Neil Island
04 February 2013 | Rutland Island
01 February 2013 | Andaman Sea
30 January 2013 | Port Blair
26 January 2013 | Andaman Sea
26 January 2013 | Andaman Sea
03 December 2012 | Burma
02 December 2012
08 November 2012
08 November 2012 | Thailand
08 November 2012
10 June 2012 | Rebak Marina Langkawi
06 February 2012 | Malaysia

Flight to Tanna

04 August 2010 | Tanna
Michael and Jackie
We sailed to Tanna two years ago. It was a fast and extremely bumpy trip to Port Resolution on the windward side of the island. The volcano is so spectacular that we though Kerry should not miss it. So this year we re-visited Tanna but by an easier method, aeroplane. We took the short flight from Port Vila to Tanna, and then went by truck to a delightful resort, White Grass Resort. Having experienced the basic village life at Port Resolution we were pleasantly surprised at the standard of accommodation and food. The resort is pleasantly landscaped on a small bluff looking out over a coral reef on the leeward side (East) of the island.

It's a long 4wd drive to the volcano, about 3 hours in all. The reason is the state of the roads or tracks. There is one piece of concrete road between the resort and the volcano, about a 100 metres in all where the road hairpins steeply at its highest point. For most of the time we slide and snake through muddy roads and tracks where vehicles have dug axle deep trenches. Along the route children rush out to touch the truck or the hands of the visitors. At one point we stop and a family sing a welcome song. Eventually we approach the volcano, our driver fords a river then powers along a massive desert of lava and ash to the final ascent. The recent major eruption last month has left several feet of new ash over the steaming slopes.

The truck parked, we climb to the crater, after taking advantage of some very basic facilities, namely a hut with two openings and no doors and two holes. The volcano didn't disappoint. Great roars of sound followed by huge explosions of fiery rocks. Most attempts to get Jackie in a photograph were foiled by her jumping back in terror at the crucial moment. An awesome experience of the earth at its most powerful. The return journey left us stiff, from holding on, and ready for an excellent late meal at the resort.

The following morning we visited a Kastom site. This was a bit disappointing since we had expected to find a village but it was in fact a demonstration site, more like a living museum than an actual village. The people there came from villages further in the bush to demonstrate their traditions and dances. Nonetheless it was an enjoyable and interesting experience in deep rain forest next to a giant banyan tree.

Then it was back on the plane to Vila and a visit to the market before setting off on our cruise up to Santo next morning.
Comments
Vessel Name: Lady Kay
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 380
Hailing Port: Falmouth
Crew: Michael & Jackie Chapman
Lady Kay's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 1 March 2013
Ha'apai islands with Tamsin and Paul
7 Photos
Created 31 May 2009
No Photos
Created 23 November 2008
No Photos
Created 13 August 2008
Petra & Bob's birthday party
10 Photos
Created 2 August 2008
2 Photos
Created 24 July 2008