Around the World

23 February 2013 | Similan Islands Thailand
21 February 2013 | Bay of Bengal
15 February 2013 | Cinque Islands
15 February 2013 | Henry Lawrence Island
12 February 2013 | North Button Island
10 February 2013 | Henry Lawrence Island
09 February 2013 | Havelock Island
06 February 2013 | Neil Island
04 February 2013 | Rutland Island
01 February 2013 | Andaman Sea
30 January 2013 | Port Blair
26 January 2013 | Andaman Sea
26 January 2013 | Andaman Sea
03 December 2012 | Burma
02 December 2012
08 November 2012
08 November 2012 | Thailand
08 November 2012
10 June 2012 | Rebak Marina Langkawi
06 February 2012 | Malaysia

Grey, grey grey

06 November 2011 | Pangkor Malaysia
michael and jackie
The long slog up the Malacca straits has got to be high on our list of least enjoyed journeys. Giant ships charge up and down the fairways. We sail inshore of them through lines of fishing boats, and seas strewn with plastic muck and debris. We decided that we would forgo the joys of dodging fishing nets etc at night so have been day hoping up the coast. Even so it has not been a pleasant motor. What wind there is tends to be on the nose and fickle so it is engines all the way. On the way to Pangkor we seem to have had constant rain and thunderstorms. Altogether not very pleasant. The debris in the water is incredible. In one area loads of fishing boats swarmed over the rubbish filled water to find fish hiding under the garbage. We keep a constant watch for fishing nets but a white buoy is very similar to a white fast food box. Our starboard engine suddenly juddered to a halt. A large sail or wrapped tarpaulin complete with string had attached itself to the propellor. Thank goodness we have two engines. So once clear of the filthiest section we stopped the boat and our intrepid diver, Jackie, headed overboard knife in hand. After about half an hour she had freed the prop and we continued on into the next thunder storm. Only a couple of hours later the port engine spluttered, as we approached an anchorage. We continued to the anchorage and this time Michael tried to look. The water was so murky he couldn't see the propeller at all. Luckily the plastic bag detached itself in the strong river current and we were able to proceed.

We are now anchored off Pangkor. This is an attractive set of islands. The first attractive piece of coastline we have seen in Malaysia. Up till this point it has been flat, drab and murky. Pangkor though has hills, greenery and pretty inlets. Albeit a few too many jet skiers but a pleasant change. You can see the propellers here. From Pangkor we are doing another long day hop to Penang where we plan to stay a few days and explore the town.
Comments
Vessel Name: Lady Kay
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 380
Hailing Port: Falmouth
Crew: Michael & Jackie Chapman
Lady Kay's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 1 March 2013
Ha'apai islands with Tamsin and Paul
7 Photos
Created 31 May 2009
No Photos
Created 23 November 2008
No Photos
Created 13 August 2008
Petra & Bob's birthday party
10 Photos
Created 2 August 2008
2 Photos
Created 24 July 2008