Around the World

23 February 2013 | Similan Islands Thailand
21 February 2013 | Bay of Bengal
15 February 2013 | Cinque Islands
15 February 2013 | Henry Lawrence Island
12 February 2013 | North Button Island
10 February 2013 | Henry Lawrence Island
09 February 2013 | Havelock Island
06 February 2013 | Neil Island
04 February 2013 | Rutland Island
01 February 2013 | Andaman Sea
30 January 2013 | Port Blair
26 January 2013 | Andaman Sea
26 January 2013 | Andaman Sea
03 December 2012 | Burma
02 December 2012
08 November 2012
08 November 2012 | Thailand
08 November 2012
10 June 2012 | Rebak Marina Langkawi
06 February 2012 | Malaysia

the town that got left behind - Malacca

06 November 2011 | Malaysia
michael and jackie
Malacca was deserted by Sir Thomas Raffles for Singapore back at the beginning of the 19th century. Malacca's eclipse by Singapore means that many of its older buildings have escaped demolition. The town follows the twisting river inland, at each step you can find the traces of the different communities that lived and still live here.

To the North the town hall area would not be out of place in any Dutch town with its adjacent Dutch reform church.



At the top of the hill overlooking the town the former Catholic church built by the Portugese still dominates the townscape. The spire was removed by the ardent Dutch protestants so as to deconsecrate it. Around the slopes below you find numerous museums and the magnificent, rebuilt sultan's palace, re built without the use of any nails.

We explored much of the town on foot as its centre remains compact You can if you wish though employ the services of a rickshaw driver. They are a rare site in Malaysia but remain here competing with the colourfulness of their decorations and their sound systems. This one seemed to be a Barbie fan.



As well as the Dutch style town centre there is a Portugese area and a thriving Indian area. The most interesting part of the town though is the Chinese area. The wealthy Chinese straits community built town houses which combine Portugese and Chinese styles of architecture. They often have interesting windows.

Rather as in London the often modest frontages disguise the extensive interiors of these homes built around two inner courtyards. Many have remained in the same family for over two centuries. The Peranakan who live here are descendants of Chinese traders who married Malay women. The men are referred to as Babas and the women Nyonya. Nyonya cuisine is a tasty combination of Chinese and Malay food which tends to use a lot of coconut milk.


The main part of the town has the numerous small shops selling everything from fashionable dresses, plastic flowers and caged birds.







We had sailed up to a marina North of Melaka (the modern spelling)- a town called Port Dickson. The marina had the particularly attractive benefit of a rather nice swimming pool where we could cool off. The journey by road back to Melaka takes in miles of palm oil plantations, providing the ubiquitous "vegetable oil" in processed food as well as being a key component in bio-fuels. Naval and army depots are succeeded by long lines of empty beach resorts. The chalets are a bit reminiscent of the British south coast, neglected and empty. Perhaps not surprising since the heavily polluted sea is not very inviting. The roads are busy with cars. Having got used to the great swarms of motorcycles and scooters of Indonesia we still find the return to a car based economy strange. As you approach the town, massive malls present themselves, some with the familiar Tesco sign. Malaysian Tesco's have all the charmlessness of their British equivalents.

We elected to stay at the Majestic Hotel (rave reviews and special offer)for a couple of nights. The place is an absolute peach. The entrance is through an old manor house. The high elegant ceilings and wooden shuttered windows now house the restaurant and bar. The manor house conceals behind it a large modern accommodation block with all the facilities of a modern hotel. The charming, friendly staff go out of their way to help you. The rooms are beautiful complete with claw foot baths and best of all a relaxing massage in the spa centre. Malacca was definitely a plus place to visit.

---------- radio email processed by SailMail for information see: http://www.sailmail.com
Comments
Vessel Name: Lady Kay
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 380
Hailing Port: Falmouth
Crew: Michael & Jackie Chapman
Lady Kay's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 1 March 2013
Ha'apai islands with Tamsin and Paul
7 Photos
Created 31 May 2009
No Photos
Created 23 November 2008
No Photos
Created 13 August 2008
Petra & Bob's birthday party
10 Photos
Created 2 August 2008
2 Photos
Created 24 July 2008