Around the World

23 February 2013 | Similan Islands Thailand
21 February 2013 | Bay of Bengal
15 February 2013 | Cinque Islands
15 February 2013 | Henry Lawrence Island
12 February 2013 | North Button Island
10 February 2013 | Henry Lawrence Island
09 February 2013 | Havelock Island
06 February 2013 | Neil Island
04 February 2013 | Rutland Island
01 February 2013 | Andaman Sea
30 January 2013 | Port Blair
26 January 2013 | Andaman Sea
26 January 2013 | Andaman Sea
03 December 2012 | Burma
02 December 2012
08 November 2012
08 November 2012 | Thailand
08 November 2012
10 June 2012 | Rebak Marina Langkawi
06 February 2012 | Malaysia

Dodging bridges and dodgy alternators

08 November 2011 | Penang Malaysia
michael and jackie
Phew we finally made it to Penang. We seem to have fallen on our feet here. A delightful marina surrounded by restaurants and shops.

It was with some regrets that we left Pangkor - at last pretty bays and islands. we headed North again with a careful eye out for fishing boats and other debris. The journey to Penang was a long one 72 miles so we had to keep the pace up. A long day passed motoring Northwards. At last we saw the island - and wow wind. The mainsail filled and we pulled out the genoa. For an hour and a half we were doing 7.7 to 8 knots actually sailing. But what was that on the horizon. A wall across the sea. We had got quite used to a wall of fishing boats but this was the new Penang bridge under construction, possibly the longest road bridge in Asia. Mile after mile of piles, pontoons and barges stretched out to the horizon. Nothing on our charts to guide us we approached at full speed. Then it started to rain, and then it started to pour. As the bridge in front of us disappeared from view we dropped the sails. So we didn't arrive in Penang under sail but under motor. We approached the piles as the rain subsided, chose the biggest gap and sneaked through turned left and dropped the anchor just off some hawker food stalls at about 6pm. All a bit scary.

The next morning it was only 12 miles to the Straits marina on the North side of the island so we slept in. Bad idea. Neither engine would start - not even our super sophisticated battery link switch would persuade them. In the end we got them going by heaving a massive house battery across to the other hull and connecting it up. We motored out by the new bridge this time heading for the old bridge(1986). Would we get under it? No sign on the bridge and a fearsome warning on the chart about boats over 5m tall reporting to the harbour master. We knew bigger boats than ours had gone under so we were reasonably confident but it is still a bit nerve wracking as you approach the arches. Then through the busy harbour, dodge the ferries and the fishing boats and a quick photo of the 1909 city hall as we passed by. Tomorrow we will explore the old town and get Thai visas. Plus sort out our electrics - maybe.

We are now relaxing with a g and t with the air con on.

More on Penang up coming.
Comments
Vessel Name: Lady Kay
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 380
Hailing Port: Falmouth
Crew: Michael & Jackie Chapman
Lady Kay's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 1 March 2013
Ha'apai islands with Tamsin and Paul
7 Photos
Created 31 May 2009
No Photos
Created 23 November 2008
No Photos
Created 13 August 2008
Petra & Bob's birthday party
10 Photos
Created 2 August 2008
2 Photos
Created 24 July 2008