Around the World

23 February 2013 | Similan Islands Thailand
21 February 2013 | Bay of Bengal
15 February 2013 | Cinque Islands
15 February 2013 | Henry Lawrence Island
12 February 2013 | North Button Island
10 February 2013 | Henry Lawrence Island
09 February 2013 | Havelock Island
06 February 2013 | Neil Island
04 February 2013 | Rutland Island
01 February 2013 | Andaman Sea
30 January 2013 | Port Blair
26 January 2013 | Andaman Sea
26 January 2013 | Andaman Sea
03 December 2012 | Burma
02 December 2012
08 November 2012
08 November 2012 | Thailand
08 November 2012
10 June 2012 | Rebak Marina Langkawi
06 February 2012 | Malaysia

We're Off

15 October 2011 | Andaman Sea
Michael and Jackie
Our first overnight passage for over a year. Very scary. After lots of preparations we left the Similan Islands, part of Thailand bound for the Andamans which are Indian territory.

We left at 5pm, anticipating a slow passage as the forecast was for light and variable winds. We want to arrive in good daylight. Storyteller and Kalypso were leaving the next morning, planning a faster passage. The wind was on our nose when we left, and remained that way until half-way through the night, but never produced enough to sail by.

We had some 'events', starting with the GPS going off on my first watch. The GPS is pretty crucial on a boat as it shows you where you are. Luckily the time-honoured cure of turning everything off and then on again had the desired effect. The next thing was an almighty crash as we obviously hit something in the water. We had a full moon, so visibility was quite good, but we never saw anything. A check on the bilges reassured us that we weren't obviously taking in water. During daylight the following morning we narrowly missed hitting a full-sized tree trunk, and also saw a very large log, so perhaps we hit something similar.

A slight increase in wind led us to put up the sails first thing in the morning. A mistake! The wind dropped and the mainsail flapped around due to the surprisingly choppy water before shedding a key bolt on the gooseneck (the bit that joins the boom to the mast). Luckily we retrieved the pieces, but getting the bolt through the hole again required over an hour of working out pulleys that moved one bit into line with the other. Eventually, success, and this was marked by a pod of dolphins swimming alongside us. We continued the day with the asymnetrical spinnaker up looking very spectacular but even that having to be assisted by engines.

Life is good again, if somewhat tiring.
Comments
Vessel Name: Lady Kay
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 380
Hailing Port: Falmouth
Crew: Michael & Jackie Chapman
Lady Kay's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 1 March 2013
Ha'apai islands with Tamsin and Paul
7 Photos
Created 31 May 2009
No Photos
Created 23 November 2008
No Photos
Created 13 August 2008
Petra & Bob's birthday party
10 Photos
Created 2 August 2008
2 Photos
Created 24 July 2008