Now we are the M/V HOPE

New boat Grand Banks 42 as of March 25 2014

13 August 2015
15 July 2015 | Rouses Point USA
09 July 2015 | Ottawa, Canada
04 July 2015 | Burritt’s Rapids-Rideau River 30 Mi West of Ottawa
30 June 2015
28 June 2015 | Kingston CANADA
28 June 2015 | Kingston CANADA
24 June 2015 | Oswego New York Lake Ontario
23 June 2015
21 June 2015 | Brewerton NY
19 June 2015 | Oswego Canal
19 June 2015
15 June 2015
12 June 2015 | Canajo, NY
11 June 2015 | Amsterdam Town Dock

Journey Part 2; Jacksonville

15 April 2012 | St. Johns River, Jacksonville
Dede; weather beautiful!!
Well, we have now begun the 2nd leg of our journey...as our son-in-law Glenn so aptly calls it, "Life's A Journey; Destination Unknown!!" We arrived at Ortega Yacht Club Marina on Tuesday; had Lady Lady hauled on Wednesday, cleaned hull, installed 2nd ac in v-birth, painted her bottom, and, dropped her back into water and back to her dock on Thursday...a VERY busy 24hrs!! We stayed at the Marina until Sunday morning...allowing time to provision, fix a flat tire on Jim's bike and enjoy a barbeque on the dock Saturday night to say "so long" to our "marina mates."
Jacksonville is "big-time." In terms of population, the city ranks #1 in FL and 11th in the US. During the Civil War, the city found itself invaded and abandoned 4 times by the Union forces. The Confederate navy had purchased the famous racing yacht America, and ultimately it was sank up the St. Johns River. Union soldiers found, plugged and raised her...dispatching her to their Naval Blockade, and she became a training ship at the US Naval Academy!! She finished 4th in the 1870 race for the famous cup that still bears her name.
Jacksonville is amass with multiple military bases; among which is the JAX Naval Air Station, home of the impressive Blue Angels!!
Jacksonville Landing...in the center of Jacksonville, on the river...offers attractions and events all day long as well as nighttime hotspots...including the "Jacquars Stadium."
We spent 1-day exploring Jacksonville Beach...21 miles of sand dunes, surfing, treacherous currents and heavy winds...but I imagine a beautiful vacation spot on a more calm day!!
We cruised away on the St. Johns River, notorious (and correctly so) for its' currents on Sunday mid-morning. Winds came up in the afternoon, and we settled on anchor just north of the Dames Point Spansion Bridge. The river itself is outlined with cargo ports and carriers...getting ready to head out to the Atlantic. Tomorrow we arise early (??) and head down the coast (ICW) to visit St. Augustine, the oldest city in the country and the home to the "fountain of youth!!" Stay tuned...
Comments
Vessel Name: HOPE
Vessel Make/Model: Grand Banks 42
Hailing Port: East Greenwich, RI
Crew: Jim & Dede McGuire
About:
Jim is currently retired from Rhode Island College where he was a professor of Adult Vocational Education and Management. Dede is currently back into nursing after many years in upper level health care administration. [...]
Extra: This blog shifted "gears" April 4th 2014 from wind power to motor power and "GEARS"! We still adventuring and are setting off soon for a Down East Loop up the Hudson, NY canal system, St Lawrence Seaway down Lake Champlain and back to RI

Hope's Crew

Who: Jim & Dede McGuire
Port: East Greenwich, RI