Now we are the M/V HOPE

New boat Grand Banks 42 as of March 25 2014

13 August 2015
15 July 2015 | Rouses Point USA
09 July 2015 | Ottawa, Canada
04 July 2015 | Burritt’s Rapids-Rideau River 30 Mi West of Ottawa
30 June 2015
28 June 2015 | Kingston CANADA
28 June 2015 | Kingston CANADA
24 June 2015 | Oswego New York Lake Ontario
23 June 2015
21 June 2015 | Brewerton NY
19 June 2015 | Oswego Canal
19 June 2015
15 June 2015
12 June 2015 | Canajo, NY
11 June 2015 | Amsterdam Town Dock

Twin Dolphin Marina

24 April 2013 | Bradenton FL
Capt Jim
Well we got underway April 23rd and worked our way down the western Florida ICW. This is an easy ride follow the day markers , stay in the channel and be nice to every bridge tender. Do this gets you an opening as you approach and advice concerning any hazards or traffic concerns. We only had one restricted bridge to contend with and that fortunately was the very last of the series. It was the Pirellis Bay way Structure E bridge that opens on the hour and half hour. WE managed with my expert navigation to arrive up stream of Structure E at 13:10 with 20 minutes to enjoy the views around Terra Verde. I actually though of taking a side trip into Passa-Grill but opted to kill time in front of the bridge. At EXACTLY 13:30 the horn sounded at at 13:33 we went through and into the approach channels to the Tampa SkyWay bridge. WE had a nice 10-13 kt East wind to sail across the bay and there was no shipping traffic to contend with. Based on the time we opted to go up the Manatee River to the city of Bradenton and drop the hook at 17:00.. We were both hungry and tired --so supper --a little light reading and bed time. The wind was a littl up and we set about 30-35' of chain in 7' of water with a 45# Delta! I felt comfortable with that --I would like to have put out more-(chain in the locker does no good) but the shoal up wind was only 30 -50 yards to the lea. We were ok with the set up and slept well. Wind died by morning and the temperature got down to 68 degrees. On Wednesday (today) we called the Marina and came in for a slip. It's easier to bring the bikes ashore when you are at a dock. Besids we could not find a place to land the dingy in this area --so a dock was almost a necessity if we wanted to go ashore. The twin Dolphin Marina is a class act. We took the mini vacation package and stayed two nights --that comes with a discount ticket to the Aquarium and a gift certificate for dinner at a fine restaurant Pier 22. WE biked around the city, did coffee shop and Dede spent afternoon at the pool and Jim went to the Planetarium, Museum and Aquarium. Used our gift certificate and had a fine dinner on the pier with a cool breeze and a lovely sunset.

On Thursday Bob and Gail -friends from RI will be driving up from North Port for a visit to the cruising couple. Will fill you in on that --then

Stay Tuned
Comments
Vessel Name: HOPE
Vessel Make/Model: Grand Banks 42
Hailing Port: East Greenwich, RI
Crew: Jim & Dede McGuire
About:
Jim is currently retired from Rhode Island College where he was a professor of Adult Vocational Education and Management. Dede is currently back into nursing after many years in upper level health care administration. [...]
Extra: This blog shifted "gears" April 4th 2014 from wind power to motor power and "GEARS"! We still adventuring and are setting off soon for a Down East Loop up the Hudson, NY canal system, St Lawrence Seaway down Lake Champlain and back to RI

Hope's Crew

Who: Jim & Dede McGuire
Port: East Greenwich, RI