Now we are the M/V HOPE

New boat Grand Banks 42 as of March 25 2014

13 August 2015
15 July 2015 | Rouses Point USA
09 July 2015 | Ottawa, Canada
04 July 2015 | Burritt’s Rapids-Rideau River 30 Mi West of Ottawa
30 June 2015
28 June 2015 | Kingston CANADA
28 June 2015 | Kingston CANADA
24 June 2015 | Oswego New York Lake Ontario
23 June 2015
21 June 2015 | Brewerton NY
19 June 2015 | Oswego Canal
19 June 2015
15 June 2015
12 June 2015 | Canajo, NY
11 June 2015 | Amsterdam Town Dock

Will I have a sighting of “Champ”?

15 July 2015 | Rouses Point USA
Dede -Cold Front Came Through Last Night
From Dede's Perspective:

Will I have a sighting of "Champ"?

It feels good to be back in US waters...using my cell phone, US dollars and speaking English!!

We spent another day tucked into Gaines Marina, Rouses Point. Upon awaking this morning, the wind was blowing 20-30 knots, boats were "rocking and rolling" in the marina, white caps visible on the lake...and projections for the day didn't improve! Also, I had been having a medical issue for a week, and it finally needed some attention. This marina...Gaines Marina...promotes itself as a "full service marina," and they certainly are!! The owner made arrangements for me to go to the local medical center, and his wife loaned us her car!! I got seen, appropriate medicines ordered, and already feel better so...

Underway tomorrow to start our tour of Lake Champlain! Lake Champlain is a unique and fascinating body of water. Bounded by the Green Mountains to the east and the Adirondack Mountains to the west, it has both the intimate character of an alpine lake and the vigor of a great body of water. The waters are clear and deep; there are secluded anchorages and magnificent mountain views! Over the last 11,000 years the lake has been the passing of Native Americans, explorers, settlers, swift raiding parties and slow moving armies, industrious shipwrights, man o'war sailors, diplomats, merchants, philosophers, canal boat captains, presidents, and many others who in some way or another made their mark on our present day world. To the region's original inhabitants, the lake was an essential means of transportation. The first Europeans used the lake as a route into the new continent, and the lake was named for Samuel de Champlain, who discovered it in 1609. Naval battles with worldwide consequences were fought here in the colonial period. The 1800s saw the emergence of the lake as a major factor in the region's economic growth.

Lake Champlain is 109 miles long; in some portions over 9 miles wide. Most of the places are deep to the shoreline, and there are places where the lake is over 200 feet deep. There are many islands and bays to anchor in peace and quiet, and many cities, towns and villages to explore! As Jim and I began to chart our course over the next few weeks, we became overwhelmed with the "what to do" and "where to go"! It is analogous to our cruise in the Chesapeake 2-years ago...we could have spent a year just exploring, and we have the same feeling about Lake Champlain. Even if we had the time to stay and explore all, the cold weather would not allow it. So, our cruising the Lake will be destination-oriented...and maybe...just maybe...we'll plan to come back next summer to cruise slowly, the whole lake!

So...tomorrow we turn on our engines and head for Valcour Island, where Benedict Arnold took his American fleet to intercept the British fleet, which was intending to attack Ticonderoga!
And on the way, I will look for "Champ," Lake Champlain's resident "monster" (by all accounts, a friendly monster), and is said to frolic in the lake. Here-to-for reliable witnesses report occasional sightings every year! Who knows...maybe I will be one!!

Stay tuned...
Comments
Vessel Name: HOPE
Vessel Make/Model: Grand Banks 42
Hailing Port: East Greenwich, RI
Crew: Jim & Dede McGuire
About:
Jim is currently retired from Rhode Island College where he was a professor of Adult Vocational Education and Management. Dede is currently back into nursing after many years in upper level health care administration. [...]
Extra: This blog shifted "gears" April 4th 2014 from wind power to motor power and "GEARS"! We still adventuring and are setting off soon for a Down East Loop up the Hudson, NY canal system, St Lawrence Seaway down Lake Champlain and back to RI

Hope's Crew

Who: Jim & Dede McGuire
Port: East Greenwich, RI