Now we are the M/V HOPE

New boat Grand Banks 42 as of March 25 2014

13 August 2015
15 July 2015 | Rouses Point USA
09 July 2015 | Ottawa, Canada
04 July 2015 | Burritt’s Rapids-Rideau River 30 Mi West of Ottawa
30 June 2015
28 June 2015 | Kingston CANADA
28 June 2015 | Kingston CANADA
24 June 2015 | Oswego New York Lake Ontario
23 June 2015
21 June 2015 | Brewerton NY
19 June 2015 | Oswego Canal
19 June 2015
15 June 2015
12 June 2015 | Canajo, NY
11 June 2015 | Amsterdam Town Dock

Titusville NASA Kennedy Center

04 May 2012 | Titusville Village arina
Jim & Dede Hot and Sunny Brezzy
Jim Here:
I'm not sure why but this log has not been getting as much attention as our first leg of the journey. I think perhaps because the coast of Florida has been explored by all of us so often before. Many of us have driven the cars down or visited the bigger cities along the east coast. It seems that in cruising south the big cities are the major stops along the way and are just overwhelming with tourist stuff to report on. However having said that Titusville is something else--KENNEDY SPACE CENTER is over the top (excuse the pun). I have been there several times -seen the stuff -watched the movies but they seem to change it and more and make it new and exciting every time. Unfortunately we are all well aware that the shuttle program ha=s ended and the center is in close down mode--as much as any government facility ever really closes down. There are still hundreds if not thousands employed with maintaining the facilities that may be used in the next manned space adventures in 2020 as well as the separate Cape Canaveral Military Launch Facility adjacent to it. Kennedy is NASA and Cape Canaveral is military. Surprising however the city of Titusville looks like a blighted town many shops and motels etc closed their doors when the tourist travel for launches stopped in the beginning of this year. One very unique location I fond still open on a side street in town was the "U.S. SPACE WALK of FAME FOUNDATION/Museum" www.spacewalkeoffame.com this is a building about the size of a four car garage--but filled with actual memorabilia from the beginning of the space program. I think some of it was donated as scrap-some snuck out the back door by local workers. Regardless of the source it is up close and personal to hold a space suite in your hands -I was not quite ready to ask to put it on -but I came close. One of the most surprising items I found a complete set of mission summary logs for every Space Shuttle Launch. I picked up one from 2009 and read the log of Columbia - summarized with word for word quotes of the entire mission. The last report--and at 09:21 communications were lost with the STS over Huston shuttle contingency plan has been activated---very sombering reading!! Then a blank page--It did go on a page later to describe rescue and recovery efforts ==actually detail of parts and locations of 25,000 of material -including the flight recorder black box.

Titusville Municipal marina was a good place to dock for a few days to celebrate Dede's 65th birthday on Friday with a small a party with brother Phil and niece and nephew.

.Navigating here is relative straight forward -follow the channel avoid the shoals and stop in marinas at a $1.00 -$2.00 a foot this allows us to plug-in and keep the new air conditioners running --did I say it's HOT HERE!!! Very glad I installed the two units. I hope when the times comes to run them on the generator when were in the keys they work as well as at the dock. I do need to build a sun shade however to reduce the solar uptake.


Dede's Take: Left Mosquito Lagoon on Monday am...came thru Haulover Canal, which in historical times was the obvious place to cross from the Lagoon to the Indian River. Native Americans and early settlers "Hauled over" their canoes and boats between 2 large river basins using log rollers over the narrow island area. In time as boats got bigger the 1st canal was dug by slaves of a local citrus grower... Exiting the canal was a site...off to port was the NASA Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB) and the launch pads at the Space Center. It was like opening a window into history. Unfortunately, as we subsequently visited the Space Center, it was depressing...the launch pads are being disassembled, and the bus tour into the "restricted gate"was leftr with only being able to focus on the bald eagle nest (700lbs...impressive) and the local alligators!! I found Titusville equally depressing as did Jim. For years it had been an enviable position at the junction of a railroad and steamship line. Citrus, pineapples, and seafood arr'd by steamboatwere processed including as well as a crabmeat picking and packing plant and transferred and packed to their railroad. Flaggers East Coast Railroad company put them out of business. Indian River citrus is still grown in the area but Titusville no longer holds the railway monopoly. With the changes at the space station, Titusville seems to be trying to re-invent itself as a tourism town. The large municipal marina is the center of new era of waterside commerce. Unfortunately the major tourist attraction NASA Space Shuttle Launches is done. The Kennedy Space Center is in Hold mode!
If you choose to go to the marina be clear that the offer of 1-night free if you stay 2-nites, and your Boar US discount cannot be combined (written in small print!!). Manatees are abundant in the basin...they feed in the early morning or late evening on grass...and surprisingly they will feed 5-8 hrs/day to make its' 30lbs recommended daily allowance!!
The old M. Brewer swing bridge has been replaced w/a 65 ft fixed bridge...if you have a car or bike, the trip over brings you to acres of the Cape Canaveral Nat'l Seashore...close up views of the launch pads as well as hiking/biking/beaching experiences. The mud flats...very visible!! Are mosquito laden and hence NASA was able to acquire the land easily!!
After 3-days in Titusville, I am ready to leave. NOTHING is open on Mondays; and those places open on other days in the "Historic district" close by 4pm!! Dixie Crossroads, w/their sweet red shrimp was worth the bike ride...but otherwise, look forward to being underway to Merritt Island/Cocoa. Stay tuned...
Jim -again you can tell Dede was less than impressed ;-) !!
Comments
Vessel Name: HOPE
Vessel Make/Model: Grand Banks 42
Hailing Port: East Greenwich, RI
Crew: Jim & Dede McGuire
About:
Jim is currently retired from Rhode Island College where he was a professor of Adult Vocational Education and Management. Dede is currently back into nursing after many years in upper level health care administration. [...]
Extra: This blog shifted "gears" April 4th 2014 from wind power to motor power and "GEARS"! We still adventuring and are setting off soon for a Down East Loop up the Hudson, NY canal system, St Lawrence Seaway down Lake Champlain and back to RI

Hope's Crew

Who: Jim & Dede McGuire
Port: East Greenwich, RI