Now we are the M/V HOPE

New boat Grand Banks 42 as of March 25 2014

13 August 2015
15 July 2015 | Rouses Point USA
09 July 2015 | Ottawa, Canada
04 July 2015 | Burritt’s Rapids-Rideau River 30 Mi West of Ottawa
30 June 2015
28 June 2015 | Kingston CANADA
28 June 2015 | Kingston CANADA
24 June 2015 | Oswego New York Lake Ontario
23 June 2015
21 June 2015 | Brewerton NY
19 June 2015 | Oswego Canal
19 June 2015
15 June 2015
12 June 2015 | Canajo, NY
11 June 2015 | Amsterdam Town Dock

Coconut Grove May 27th & June 2nd

02 June 2012
Moon Rise tonight June 2nd
Well here we are in Coconut Grove Florida. We left the confines of Maul Lake north of Miami and worked our way through the city of Miami's busy port. There was nothing happening when we came through on a Tuesday afternoon. No Cruise ships in port and no heavy duty port security-at least we did not get stopped and boarded by Customs or USCG. There are several bridges in the city of Miami that we needed to pass under and through. One bridge, the Julia Tuttle, gives many sailors big problems--it's a 56 foot clearance bridge -the only bridge on the AICW that does not conform to the required 65'! Don't ask me how or why but it has prevented sailboats from entering the port of Miami and heading north in the AICW or for boats going south to get out to sea. The port of Ft. Lauderdale has therefore become the port of coming and going into and out of the AICW for many sailors. Fortunately we know (OH DO WE KNOW) that our mast is 54'6" and a 56 foot bridge is a piece of cake!. Of course I still said my prayers before going through!! The other bridge sits almost under two 65 foot causeway bridges going out to Miami Beach from downtown. It is the Venetian Causeway Bridge. It does look strangely like the Michel Angelo Bridge over the Grand Canal in Venice! Maybe because it's so cool looking they still keep it blocking the traffic in the AICW except on the hour and half hour. Not a problem...we have gotten good at timing our arrival at bridges so as to not have to sit in traffic and wait for the tender to open the thing. We had choices of where to go in the Miami area and opted to head a little south to Coconut Grove and pick a mooring at the Coconut Grove Sailing Club for $20 a night. The other marinas here have moorings way out from shore right out in the open bay. Very rough and windy out there and a long dingy ride in ½ mile or so. . This club has them in side of a small barrier island in the harbor and provides free 24 hour launch service!! Weather has been good -feels very hot with the humidity even though it's only 85-87 degrees. I'm soaking wet after any work on deck or walking around town. So I'm trying not to do any work!! Well after all I am retired!
Dede will tell you about the shore side stuff ----Coconut Grove is technically part of the city of Miami. Its' roots run to the 1830s-era nautically minded people who worked the Cape Florida Light...homesteaders, farmers, fishermen, salvagers and Bahamian builders followed. The area attracts artists in early 1960s and hosts one of the best-known arts festivals in the country. We moored at the Coconut Grove Sailing Club...behind a tiny island appropriately called Tidal Flats...it is a chartered US Sailing Center, one of the training sites for the US Olympic Sailing Team. The Club mooring field and club are situated close to shore...making it convenient to go ashore. They have a 24/7 launch service...a nice feature! Showers are adequate at best although Jim thinks I am a clean freak so...the friendliness of the staff and members far makes up for the lack of laundry (go to the end of Grand St...wonderful laundry mat that does your laundry for $1.50/lb) and "adequate" shower rooms. What surprised us the most were all the fenced in homes, businesses, etc...we made an assumption that they did not want cruisers to bring dinghies in, etc, etc...until Jim's bike was stolen (he had left it unlocked for no more than 7-minutes)! The local police were wonderful during our report...but explained that this area has the highest crime rate in the US (Forbes Magazine just confirmed same)...and lock EVERYTHING that doesn't walk!! Once we outfitted Jim w/a new bike (which I ultimately inherited), we did a lot of biking, walking and exploring w/ the buses/monorails/metromovers. I would suggest if anyone is visiting here, get a good handle on the "Miami-Dade Transit System," and you can get anywhere w/out a car!
We explored some of the residential areas...beautiful homes, private specialized schools (the Hansom School is for "outdoor living," and spends 2 semesters in the Adirondacks). We visited a beautiful Presbyterian Church built entirely (inside and out) from coral. We spent a day at the Vizcaya Home and Garden...the winter residence of industrialist James Deering -International Harvester Inc. . It is designed to look as if built during the Italian Renaissance w/34 decorated rooms and impressive gardens. Coco-Walk is a mecca for shoppers and restaurants! We tried a different restaurant... including a great Latin placed called "Jaguar"... for every meal! Hate to see that Master Charge next month!! The Peacock Garden Café was unique...the Peacock family came here in the 1800s and settled on this property. There are also "wild peacocks" (no relationship to the Peacock family!!) rooming around on lawns!
We spent 5-days in Coconut Grove...mostly because a front came in w/heavy rains and Tstorms. It is not unlike Newport...the VERY, VERY rich and the poverty stricken. The culture is VERY diverse. Today we watched what I thought was a photo shoot of young women in VERY exquisite gowns adorned w/tiaras. When we asked the photographer what magazine he was shooting for, he explained to us that this was private photographs of Latin-originated 15yr olds (similar to a BarMitzva). Their culture includes elaborate photography w/very elaborate gowns when they turn 15!!
People at the Club were very accommodating. The "information booths" around town and the local police were also very helpful. The Chamber of Commerce should close their doors, however...WHEN they were open, they were useless!!
A beautiful full moon tonight, and U/W tomorrow am for Key Biscayne. Weather hot, humid and sticky!! Thank goodness Jim put ac on the boat!! Stay tuned...

Comments
Vessel Name: HOPE
Vessel Make/Model: Grand Banks 42
Hailing Port: East Greenwich, RI
Crew: Jim & Dede McGuire
About:
Jim is currently retired from Rhode Island College where he was a professor of Adult Vocational Education and Management. Dede is currently back into nursing after many years in upper level health care administration. [...]
Extra: This blog shifted "gears" April 4th 2014 from wind power to motor power and "GEARS"! We still adventuring and are setting off soon for a Down East Loop up the Hudson, NY canal system, St Lawrence Seaway down Lake Champlain and back to RI

Hope's Crew

Who: Jim & Dede McGuire
Port: East Greenwich, RI