Now we are the M/V HOPE

New boat Grand Banks 42 as of March 25 2014

13 August 2015
15 July 2015 | Rouses Point USA
09 July 2015 | Ottawa, Canada
04 July 2015 | Burritt’s Rapids-Rideau River 30 Mi West of Ottawa
30 June 2015
28 June 2015 | Kingston CANADA
28 June 2015 | Kingston CANADA
24 June 2015 | Oswego New York Lake Ontario
23 June 2015
21 June 2015 | Brewerton NY
19 June 2015 | Oswego Canal
19 June 2015
15 June 2015
12 June 2015 | Canajo, NY
11 June 2015 | Amsterdam Town Dock

Ottawa

09 July 2015 | Ottawa, Canada
Dede Beautiful
From Dede's Perspective:

Am I really sitting on our boat in the middle of Canada's capital?

A beautiful ride down the rest of the Rideau Canal...through Long Island Locks, Black Rapids Locks, Hogs Back Lock and Hartwell Locks. As the canal rounded Dows Lake, we were presented with the most spectacular view of the Parliament House, sitting majestically up on Parliament Hill...the seat of government for all of Canada!! What a thrill. Maybe it is analogous to anchoring in the Potomac, viewing all of history!

Nestled at the junction of three picturesque rivers, Ottawa is considered one of the world's most beautiful capitals. The city borders the province of Quebec, creating a dynamic cultural milieu in which both French and English cultures are deeply rooted. The result is a truly cosmopolitan experience-a North American city with a distinctly European charm and flair!

The seat of Canada's federal government, Ottawa is a major center for the visual and performing arts. Yet the city retains the accessibility, atmosphere and charm of a smaller center...rich in open green spaces with a myriad of flower gardens and parks. Walking and bike trails are abundant!

Jim and I spent one evening walking around the outside of the government buildings and encircling the city, absorbing its' splendor and architecture. We were fortunate to speak with one of the finest...one of the local RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police).... who was a wealth of knowledge as to how to prioritize our visit!

The Changing of the Guard at the Parliament House was first on our list...rich in all its' regalia and splendor...an experience NOT to be missed. We had a wonderful viewing spot...thanks again to the informative RCMP! The ceremony is really one of tradition with the band, bagpipes and uniformed soldiers with their 10lb fur hats!!

The library in the Parliament House is, again NOT to be missed. Even the Canal and Lock Attendants encouraged us to take the tour. It was MAGNIFICENT!! Such history, beauty and tradition, with the Queen's influence all around!! (A tidbit: the Commons Chamber is the color green...it is believed the green represents original meetings in England being held on the lawns!) The library was the only part of the original Parliament House that did not burn down during the fire of 1926...the reason being the doors were closed!!

Changing of the Guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier was somber...complete with bagpipes!

Jim spent a day taking his bike to and touring the Canadian War Museum...he was impressed but surprised at the graphic displays! I, however, chose to go to the Open Air Market, known to be the largest in North America!! Wonderful experience, although I did not help the economy with many purchases! I then took a 2-hour tour of the city...remarkable history and sites! (A tidbit: the world renown tulip festival originated when the Princess of the Netherlands was visiting Ottawa, and went into labor with her 3rd child. Birth of royalty, to remain royalty, must occur on soil of the Netherlands. Since the princess delivered a little girl...to follow in the princess's footsteps...Canada designated her suite of birth as a sovereign nation under the Netherlands! 100,000 tulip bulbs were given to Ottawa as a thank you!)

The restaurants were abundant. (A tidbit: you can eat breakfast, lunch and dinner in a different restaurant every day for 3-months...and those were the ones within walking distance!!) We tried as many restaurants as time would allow...ate all our meals out while in Ottawa...yum!!

I would have loved to spend many more days in Ottawa, but that seems to be my mantra throughout this most incredible cruising journey! Hence, we needed to continue on...

We left Ottawa by locking down the infamous "Ottawa Staircase Locks"...a flight of 8-locks (79-foot total vertical drop)...sometimes called the Giant's Staircase. It cuts through the city and lowers boats to the Ottawa River (good-by Rideau Canal!). The descent took 1 1/2hours. There is NO stopping once you start these locks!! A little wind tunnel caught us on the 1st lock...we ended up being blown over and tying up on the port side rather than my well-planned starboard tie up (I am the deck hand during the locking!!)...Thank goodness for the prompt response of my captain and 6-lock attendants who assisted us to have a soft landing on the port side!!

We exited the locks, into the wide Ottawa River and headed for Quebec...

Stay tuned...

Comments
Vessel Name: HOPE
Vessel Make/Model: Grand Banks 42
Hailing Port: East Greenwich, RI
Crew: Jim & Dede McGuire
About:
Jim is currently retired from Rhode Island College where he was a professor of Adult Vocational Education and Management. Dede is currently back into nursing after many years in upper level health care administration. [...]
Extra: This blog shifted "gears" April 4th 2014 from wind power to motor power and "GEARS"! We still adventuring and are setting off soon for a Down East Loop up the Hudson, NY canal system, St Lawrence Seaway down Lake Champlain and back to RI

Hope's Crew

Who: Jim & Dede McGuire
Port: East Greenwich, RI