Aboard Lagniappe

Port: Kemah, TX
17 June 2009
16 June 2009
13 June 2009 | Port Aransas to Rockport
11 June 2009
08 June 2009
07 June 2009 | Freeport, TX
06 June 2009 | Kemah - Galveston
05 June 2009
31 May 2009 | Kemah, TX
27 April 2009
15 March 2009

Waterford Harbor to Laguna Harbor

13 March 2009
We set out this morning at about 10:30 amidst fog, and a Coast Guard advisory about limited visibilty on the bay. We were thankful to simply have enough water to get out of the slip. This winter has been loaded with days where we were aground in the slip due to North winds blowing water out of Galveston bay.

We met up with 3 other boats at the #2 marker of the clear lake channel and headed out to the Houston ship channel. We elected to motor. It was just too miserable to pull out the sails and wanted to head directly down the HSC without worrying about what direction the wind would steer us. With it being our first trip down the HSC, we wanted our full attention on the ships.

In fact, the traffic was not a big deal. Much easier to deal with than I'd worried about.

The weather was pretty miserable. Cold, Fog limiting visibility to less than a mile, punctuated with a few downpours that left us motoring in the blind. I was very happy to have aboard the radar that I'd installed a few months back.

But we made it here fine, and even managed to dock the boat without help with no damage. A nice accomplishment with the way the winds were blowing and the fact the the bulkhead was concrete. Annie did a great job of getting off the boat and securing a couple of lines quickly.

One last bit of luck is that we pulled up next to the one shorepower pylon that was actually on. All of others were dead.

Most of the 10 boats that arrived after us are running on battery power, but we have A/C so the battery charger's running, the heat is on, and I'm watching TV. The same HiDef Channels from Houston that we get in Kemah.
Comments
Vessel Name: Lagniappe
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 423
Hailing Port: Kemah, TX

Port: Kemah, TX