Aboard Lagniappe

Port: Kemah, TX
17 June 2009
16 June 2009
13 June 2009 | Port Aransas to Rockport
11 June 2009
08 June 2009
07 June 2009 | Freeport, TX
06 June 2009 | Kemah - Galveston
05 June 2009
31 May 2009 | Kemah, TX
27 April 2009
15 March 2009

Matagorda to Port O'Conner

09 June 2009


Today was a short, but early day. We stayed in Matagorda. We determined that the Colorado River Locks just west of Matagorda would be open just one hour beginning at 7:00 am. We wanted to be sure that we were in line to get through, so it was decided that we'd be away by 6:00.

Getting away was more difficult than one would like. We were laying against a dock with pilings that faced to the south. The wind was blowing about 20 out of the south.

Sam and Pat helped us off, but they were left to fend for themselves and even with a bow thruster they had troubles. By 6:00 we were both in the ICW lined up in front of a tow with 2 barges. He asked if he could go ahead, and we said sure. (Actually Sam said sure. my radio was giving my trouble, so I didn't hear any of the rest of the communications). As he was moving ahead and we were slipping being, one of his barges broke free. We had to back out of his way, spin on a dime and get through the pontoon bridge and the Colorado river locks.

After that excitement, we settled down for a 6 hour motor that was very nice other than dodging the shrimp boats in Matagorda bay. The number of boats out was unbelievable. They seems either to not care that we were headed down the North Channel of the ICW or actually want to get in our way. We were happy to be done with them and into some beautiful water for the rest of the trips into Port O'Conner.

We're staying this afternoon and night in a new housing development/Marina called Costa Grande. It's simply beautiful. I sure hope they start selling some lots and having some homes built. It seems really strange to be here with all of this beautiful common area and marina and no homes. Just hundreds of vacant lots.

Tomorrow, off to our furthest destination, Port Aransas....


Comments
Vessel Name: Lagniappe
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 423
Hailing Port: Kemah, TX

Port: Kemah, TX