life IS beautiful

10 May 2010 | Horse Shoe Bay, QLD, Australia
09 May 2010 | Magnetic Island, Far North QLD, Austraila
08 May 2010 | Townsville, Far North QLD, Australia
08 May 2010 | Townsville, Far North QLD, Australia
08 May 2010 | Townsville, Far North QLD, Australia
07 May 2010 | Between Bowlers Green and Townsville
07 May 2010 | Townsville, Far North QLD, Australia
05 May 2010 | Shark Bay - Upstart Bay, QLD, Australia
04 May 2010 | Shark Bay
02 May 2010 | Bowen, QLD, Australia
01 May 2010 | Bowen, QLD, Australia
30 April 2010 | Boner Bay, QLD, Australia
28 April 2010 | Nara Inlet
26 April 2010 | Thomas Island, Northside
25 April 2010 | Thomas Island
24 April 2010 | Mackay, QLD, Australia

Ferocious

25 April 2010 | Thomas Island
Lori / 15-20 Knots SE 1.7m Swells
It's about the journey...

Not the destination as EVERY self-help book, philosopher, know it all, self fulfilled individual and sailor/cruiser will tell you. Me personally I'm more of a 'are we there yet'? 'Not far now' person...3N 4D on a train dissecting India made me a little crazy, and trains are big you can move around on trains, you can get off and stretch, you can meet lots of strange and wonderful people, yet I still went a little crazy.
On a 36ft sailboat? I am still mastering the ability to learn to relax and appreciate the sail, that and try to not melt in sea sickness (an affliction developed since falling pregnant - I get travel sick DRIVING myself).
I love being on the water, I love cruising through islands, the fresh air, the water glistening, the QUIET - MY I love the quiet and seeing dolphins, turtles and fish - OH MY, but I have to admit around 6 hours into any given journey, I am ready to anchor up and explore. (Oh, night sails and straight weeklong sails are going to be a learning curve - I know, I know)
That and trying to be a decent crewmember whilst entertaining a 21-month-old Toddler, who at the drop of a hat will scream for Mumma and self-righteously demand boobie.
Try raising the main sail with balancing a temper tantrum.... difficult.

So you can imagine poor Miguel, and the amount of talking me off my ledge he has to do, and yet he LOVES sailing with me. (Bless that Captain), he manages to almost always raise the sails, and steer all by himself. I do reward him quite often with snacks and cups of tea from a galley I despair using whilst in rough seas---being in it in rough seas can make me want to drop to my knees.

Let me describe our JOURNEY: (thank god we made it to the destination.)
I knew when we awoke that it was going to be a bit of a rough sail. We had definitely sailed in worse, but everything about yesterday was not good.
We awoke to annoying drizzle, a cool damp wind, dark grey clouds, an un-impressed dreary Sunday.
Miguel found Ever's shoes on the table (Superstition number 1), then when leaving the harbor he saw and failed to Salute the dolphins and turtles (Always greet Neptune's creatures - superstition number 2) and then he killed and ANT (Superstition number 3).

We had a gentle mans sailing day. Which I found out means, the seas are rolling with us. Helping us along, despite the swells, and rain, it was a good omen.
Or so we thought.
These rolling with us seas DID nothing for the FEROCIOUS seasickness I developed.
I also knew the second Ever woke from her nap, that she too was ill.
There is a reason why I packed so many clothes for her on the boat, besides the fact she is such a DIVA and demands a fantastic wardrobe (Thank you Grandma and Grandpa in Canada) change at the drop of the hat, but Ever and I had to change our clothes 3 times from projectile vomit. Hers.
When I finally gave in, I managed to get the sink.
Poor Miguel, had to watch us both suffer, Ever pale, myself red.
Finally about 30 minutes out of Thomas Island after the 5.5 hour mark of sailing (ironic? I think not), (I did however managed to have glimpses of appreciation for the weather walls, the islands, the fog and the blending of it all together made for fantastic scenery!) the rain stopped, so I wrapped Ever in a clean dry blanket and we sat in the captains chairs - dry - vomit free - feeling remarkably better, getting fresh air.
Ever fell asleep in my arms, and it was a perfect anchoring spot Michel led us too, where we are fairly protected from the swells and wind, and the view...Well, it is divine. As well, the butterflies that surrounds us! There are at least 12 at any given time - just visiting!

After a nap, and a cup of tea, and feeling MUCH better...we decided to tender off to Thomas Island itself for a walk, and explore. We found amazing shells, that we washed in rock pools, Ever ripped big black slugs off the walls and gave then a clean too.

We had a delicious (everything smells, tastes and looks better on a boat - I swear to god) supper of BBQ chicken wings, fresh corn on the cob and a pasta with 4 cheese sauce sprinkled with blue cheese --- yummy --- delicate digestion be damned!
Ever went to sleep and Miguel and I literally collapsed in the saloon. Ide like to say with had a fantastic discussion about the day's events, but we were both so tired, that sharing bits of coconut chocolate and holding hands (fighting for said chocolate) was exertion enough for the day.
Comments
Vessel Name: La Dolce Vita
Vessel Make/Model: 2004 - 36ft - Schionning
Hailing Port: Mackay, QLD, Australia
Crew: Mike, Lori, Ever and Nemo
About:
LDV is our first sailing Cat. We are relatively new to the live-aboard-sailing prospect -- with a 21 month old baby and a japanese fighting fish. [...]
Extra: This is the beginning of a wonderful adventure.

Who: Mike, Lori, Ever and Nemo
Port: Mackay, QLD, Australia