|Vessel Name:||L'Eau Commotion|
|Vessel Make/Model:||Northshore 38|
|Hailing Port:||Brisbane Australia|
3:30pm Friday 19th January 2018 ( UTC-4 ) Despite my earlier pessimistic reports I feel the record attempt is still very much alive. Lots of ideas have been formulated but nothing decided till a good overall picture of the defects and the extent of the assets on board are realised. Because this area is renowned for sudden and totally unexpected changes in the wind I decided to lodge in the best harbour I could find and one which I still be able to enter and leave under sail alone regardless of the weather. The charts I have of the spot chosen are a little questionable but if accurate the North West end of Bahia Agurre appears to fill the bill. This port is about 25 miles West of the Straits of Lemaire on the big island of Tierra del Fuego. It's only five miles away but as I am still under Starters Orders I have no idea when I will arrive in this dying breeze. It's been a lovely sail with the breeze swinging from NNE to West and fresh to pleasant. It's hard to believe it's blowing a full gale 70 miles away which is expected for the next couple of days so I will have time to do all the jobs and still have a complete rest at anchor.
3:45am Friday 19th January 2018 ( UTC-4 ) With another sleepless night coming to an end with a showery dawn I am thinking of ways I may be able to continue. I have three days of awful weather round the corner so I may be able to get things straitened out. Goodnight or should I say Good Dawning.
8:00pm Thursday 18th January 2018 ( UTC-4 ) On checking the rigging I found that the inner or lower shroud on the Starboard side had started to fail at the spreader and as such I can no longer continue on this trip. As this has just happened I have not formulated a plan of action but will let you know once the weather gods have been consulted.
6:45pm Thursday 18th January 2018 ( UTC-4 ) All systems are good but I may temporarily turn back behind the Horn islands as full gale forecast for next four days. The rising seas could threaten a knockdown and progress into that wind is marginal at best.
4:00pm Thursday 18th January 2018 ( UTC-4 ) Finally passed the Longitude of Cape Horn at 7:17am ( UTC 1117 ) after a sleepless night. The wind was light and favourable requiring a fair amount of sail so the tendency was always to round up and head towards the many islands ( and rocks ) to the North West of the South East track. I actually saw Cape Horn last night at around 8:00pm distant 32 Miles and again in the early dawn around 3:00am but then heavy cloud and solid drizzle becoming rain set in and this photo was taken at the first time it reappeared briefly through the murk. It was taken from about six miles away. Very soon the wind started to back from the general North to the West and increased to 30 odd knots. As I was putting the last furl in the jib and a double reefed main the AIS sounded and a 199 m cargo ship ( Name and address supplied! ) announced a converging course from 6 miles to the West . I spoke to the Officer of the watch and he nicely agreed to alter course to Starboard , and by a fair amount by no w, so that he passed ahead comfortably by about 1/3 mile. Of course in these conditions he did not become visible until about 3 miles away. The conditions are now uncomfortable with a rising swell and we are virtually hove to making less than 2 knots heading 200T. All OK but must go now. --------------050308050304030901020800--
4:30pm Wednesday 17th January 2018 ( UTC-4 ) An hour or so ago it seemed about the right time to go over to a Port tack so all rugged up ( including jeans and socks ) we switched course. Not expecting to see much what with the cloud and a few showers about I scanned the Western horizon, checked, yes land and behind and to the left the definite shape of Isla Hornos. The breeze is expected to veer more to the North and weaken a little so we are now powering on almost on course into a still strong current. The sky is now almost 100% blue and the sun is doing what it does best.Last night was a different story. Reefed right down and with a stronger current round the 1000 metre depth and an uncomfortable chop we were going nowhere but at least here was no jarring or banging. Albatross and Mother Carys Chickens to spare, the latter thankfully off to find more exciting weather than the solid but comfortable breeze that should get us abeam the Horn in time for a photo early tomorrow.