L'Eau Commotion Westabout

An (other) attempt to sail non stop Westabout around the world

Vessel Name: L'Eau Commotion
Vessel Make/Model: Northshore 38
Hailing Port: Brisbane Australia
Crew: Bill Hatfield
19 January 2018 | 23 Miles to Cape Horn 255T ( Cape Groundhog? )
18 January 2018 | 25 Miles Cape Horn Bearing 034T
18 January 2018 | 30 Miles SW Cape Horn
18 January 2018 | 25 Miles South West of Cape Horn
17 January 2018 | 38 Miles to Cape Horn
16 January 2018 | 62 Miles from Cape Horn
15 January 2018 | 99 Miles to Cape Horn
14 January 2018 | 150 Miles to Cape Horn
13 January 2018 | Staten Island, near Isla Observatorio
13 January 2018 | 120 Miles to ( or from ) Cape Horn
12 January 2018 | 180 Miles to Cape Horn
11 January 2018 | 270 Miles to Cape Horn
11 January 2018 | 275 Miles to Cape Horn
10 January 2018 | 360 Miles to Cape Horn
09 January 2018 | No Closer to Cape Horn
09 January 2018 | 420 Miles to Cape Horn
09 January 2018 | 425 Miles to Cape Horn
08 January 2018 | 485 Miles to Cape Horn
07 January 2018 | 610 Miles to Cape Horn
07 January 2018 | 625 Miles to Cape Horn
Recent Blog Posts
19 January 2018 | 23 Miles to Cape Horn 255T ( Cape Groundhog? )

Down But Not Out

3:45am Friday 19th January 2018 ( UTC-4 ) With another sleepless night coming to an end with a showery dawn I am thinking of ways I may be able to continue. I have three days of awful weather round the corner so I may be able to get things straitened out. Goodnight or should I say Good Dawning.

18 January 2018 | 25 Miles Cape Horn Bearing 034T

That's It Folks

8:00pm Thursday 18th January 2018 ( UTC-4 ) On checking the rigging I found that the inner or lower shroud on the Starboard side had started to fail at the spreader and as such I can no longer continue on this trip. As this has just happened I have not formulated a plan of action but will let you know once the weather gods have been consulted.

18 January 2018 | 30 Miles SW Cape Horn

Shelter

6:45pm Thursday 18th January 2018 ( UTC-4 ) All systems are good but I may temporarily turn back behind the Horn islands as full gale forecast for next four days. The rising seas could threaten a knockdown and progress into that wind is marginal at best.

18 January 2018 | 25 Miles South West of Cape Horn

Cape Horn

4:00pm Thursday 18th January 2018 ( UTC-4 ) Finally passed the Longitude of Cape Horn at 7:17am ( UTC 1117 ) after a sleepless night. The wind was light and favourable requiring a fair amount of sail so the tendency was always to round up and head towards the many islands ( and rocks ) to the North West of the South East track. I actually saw Cape Horn last night at around 8:00pm distant 32 Miles and again in the early dawn around 3:00am but then heavy cloud and solid drizzle becoming rain set in and this photo was taken at the first time it reappeared briefly through the murk. It was taken from about six miles away. Very soon the wind started to back from the general North to the West and increased to 30 odd knots. As I was putting the last furl in the jib and a double reefed main the AIS sounded and a 199 m cargo ship ( Name and address supplied! ) announced a converging course from 6 miles to the West . I spoke to the Officer of the watch and he nicely agreed to alter course to Starboard , and by a fair amount by no w, so that he passed ahead comfortably by about 1/3 mile. Of course in these conditions he did not become visible until about 3 miles away. The conditions are now uncomfortable with a rising swell and we are virtually hove to making less than 2 knots heading 200T. All OK but must go now. --------------050308050304030901020800--

17 January 2018 | 38 Miles to Cape Horn

Land Ahoy!

4:30pm Wednesday 17th January 2018 ( UTC-4 ) An hour or so ago it seemed about the right time to go over to a Port tack so all rugged up ( including jeans and socks ) we switched course. Not expecting to see much what with the cloud and a few showers about I scanned the Western horizon, checked, yes land and behind and to the left the definite shape of Isla Hornos. The breeze is expected to veer more to the North and weaken a little so we are now powering on almost on course into a still strong current. The sky is now almost 100% blue and the sun is doing what it does best.Last night was a different story. Reefed right down and with a stronger current round the 1000 metre depth and an uncomfortable chop we were going nowhere but at least here was no jarring or banging. Albatross and Mother Carys Chickens to spare, the latter thankfully off to find more exciting weather than the solid but comfortable breeze that should get us abeam the Horn in time for a photo early tomorrow.

16 January 2018 | 62 Miles from Cape Horn

Route Planning

4:30pm Tuesday 16th January 2018 ( UTC-4 ) I had planned to be at Cape Horn in the middle of January but that came and went 4 1/2 hours ago and none of the usual signs of getting any closer are apparent. No day trippers out of Puerto Williams, no joy flighters out of Punta Arenas and no Frank. Mind you it is his day to look after the kids and the missus, whom he affectionately calls Lady Frankie, prefers to providder locally from organic outlets. She is not one of the wandering kind especially on a day like today with poor vis a slight drizzle an almost flat sea and little wind. Just ask the guys and gels out of Narromine or Temora and they'll tell you that's not the sort of weather to be caught in kilometres from a cosy bunk. I could have left Southport on the Sunday which would have got me there on schedule but Border Force don't do Sundays, or Saturdays for that matter ( they have families too ), of course Fridays are out and I was still shopping on Thursday. However I feel I can make up this day once I get out of this head current and into the North going Humboldt. As I was about to post this the breeze finally arrived and just to be on the cautious side I chucked in a couple of extra rolls on the jib with the expectation of 25 knots hard on the nose tonight. So far so good.

Another Brisk Day

30 December 2017 | 1255 Miles to Cape Horn
6:00pm Saturday 30th December 2017 ( UTC-3 ) The North Westerly winds increased overnight to near gale force but by furling in the jib so just a small area was presented and with a double reefed main a pretty fair course was maintained. The speeds while not spectacular still whittled away the miles and the planned arrival at Cape Horn in mid January appears likely. The slight but noticeable steady decrease in temperature to this mornings low of 18C has me thinking of getting out a jumper and even putting on a raincoat next time I venture out on deck. Fortunately I still have a suitcase full of still dry cool weather gear. Even in mid summer the temperatures in Drake Strait can get down to 5C so the past months in the tropics won't help me acclimatise.
Comments
L'Eau Commotion's Photos - Main
1 Photo
Created 23 July 2017
1 Photo
Created 23 July 2017
1 Photo
Created 22 July 2017
Northshore 38
1 Photo
Created 14 September 2016
No Photos
Created 14 September 2016