|Vessel Name:||L'Eau Commotion|
|Vessel Make/Model:||Northshore 38|
|Hailing Port:||Brisbane Australia|
3:45am Friday 19th January 2018 ( UTC-4 ) With another sleepless night coming to an end with a showery dawn I am thinking of ways I may be able to continue. I have three days of awful weather round the corner so I may be able to get things straitened out. Goodnight or should I say Good Dawning.
8:00pm Thursday 18th January 2018 ( UTC-4 ) On checking the rigging I found that the inner or lower shroud on the Starboard side had started to fail at the spreader and as such I can no longer continue on this trip. As this has just happened I have not formulated a plan of action but will let you know once the weather gods have been consulted.
6:45pm Thursday 18th January 2018 ( UTC-4 ) All systems are good but I may temporarily turn back behind the Horn islands as full gale forecast for next four days. The rising seas could threaten a knockdown and progress into that wind is marginal at best.
4:00pm Thursday 18th January 2018 ( UTC-4 ) Finally passed the Longitude of Cape Horn at 7:17am ( UTC 1117 ) after a sleepless night. The wind was light and favourable requiring a fair amount of sail so the tendency was always to round up and head towards the many islands ( and rocks ) to the North West of the South East track. I actually saw Cape Horn last night at around 8:00pm distant 32 Miles and again in the early dawn around 3:00am but then heavy cloud and solid drizzle becoming rain set in and this photo was taken at the first time it reappeared briefly through the murk. It was taken from about six miles away. Very soon the wind started to back from the general North to the West and increased to 30 odd knots. As I was putting the last furl in the jib and a double reefed main the AIS sounded and a 199 m cargo ship ( Name and address supplied! ) announced a converging course from 6 miles to the West . I spoke to the Officer of the watch and he nicely agreed to alter course to Starboard , and by a fair amount by no w, so that he passed ahead comfortably by about 1/3 mile. Of course in these conditions he did not become visible until about 3 miles away. The conditions are now uncomfortable with a rising swell and we are virtually hove to making less than 2 knots heading 200T. All OK but must go now. --------------050308050304030901020800--
4:30pm Wednesday 17th January 2018 ( UTC-4 ) An hour or so ago it seemed about the right time to go over to a Port tack so all rugged up ( including jeans and socks ) we switched course. Not expecting to see much what with the cloud and a few showers about I scanned the Western horizon, checked, yes land and behind and to the left the definite shape of Isla Hornos. The breeze is expected to veer more to the North and weaken a little so we are now powering on almost on course into a still strong current. The sky is now almost 100% blue and the sun is doing what it does best.Last night was a different story. Reefed right down and with a stronger current round the 1000 metre depth and an uncomfortable chop we were going nowhere but at least here was no jarring or banging. Albatross and Mother Carys Chickens to spare, the latter thankfully off to find more exciting weather than the solid but comfortable breeze that should get us abeam the Horn in time for a photo early tomorrow.
4:30pm Tuesday 16th January 2018 ( UTC-4 ) I had planned to be at Cape Horn in the middle of January but that came and went 4 1/2 hours ago and none of the usual signs of getting any closer are apparent. No day trippers out of Puerto Williams, no joy flighters out of Punta Arenas and no Frank. Mind you it is his day to look after the kids and the missus, whom he affectionately calls Lady Frankie, prefers to providder locally from organic outlets. She is not one of the wandering kind especially on a day like today with poor vis a slight drizzle an almost flat sea and little wind. Just ask the guys and gels out of Narromine or Temora and they'll tell you that's not the sort of weather to be caught in kilometres from a cosy bunk. I could have left Southport on the Sunday which would have got me there on schedule but Border Force don't do Sundays, or Saturdays for that matter ( they have families too ), of course Fridays are out and I was still shopping on Thursday. However I feel I can make up this day once I get out of this head current and into the North going Humboldt. As I was about to post this the breeze finally arrived and just to be on the cautious side I chucked in a couple of extra rolls on the jib with the expectation of 25 knots hard on the nose tonight. So far so good.