|Vessel Name:||L'Eau Commotion|
|Vessel Make/Model:||Northshore 38|
|Hailing Port:||Brisbane Australia|
5:00pm Saturday 24th February 2018 ( UTC-3 ) The wind has gradually strengthened to about its forecast maximum of 32 knots and veered to almost North and as useful ground into this strength with the sail options available cannot be made it was decided to shorten sail to just the minimum to steady the yacht. The sun has been shining brightly for the last few hours resulting in a welcome 14C cabin and so a little discipline will be required very early on Sunday morning to check whether the forecast of easing and backing is correct. There appears a window of good weather will open up to get me to Stanley late Monday or Tuesday at the latest when the North West winds will again become strong so every opportunity should be seized.
5:00pm Friday 23rd February 2018 ( UTC-3 ) The wind is not all that strong from the North West, say just over 20 knots, but being hard on the wind there is that inevitable thump now and again and each time this happens I think of reducing the sail a bit more. It is supposed to stay like this all night and then get quite strong - over 30 knots for most of tomorrow - in the morning. I will probably reduce sail anyhow with that jar that just occurred and hope the promised light South Westerly will carry me to Stanley on Sunday/ Monday. Thanks to Bob & Janet I was able to correspond with Customs and Immigration so they are expecting me. I got out the iPhone from its case and was surprised to find it had gone quite flat so plugged it in to the charger - nada! Checked the cord on this iPad - similar. I have one last cord in its original wrapping and thought this will be nicely sealed and fresh but was disturbed to find the front was nice waterproof clear plastic but the back was soggy cardboard. Luckily the contacts were bright and shiny so a sigh of relief was heaved.
3:30pm Wednesday 21st February 2015 ( UTC-5 ) The long forecast 35 knots from the North to North East fortunately did not quite get to that figure - my guess is around the 30 knot mark although a little more to the North East. We are still very much in the Drake Strait so a cautious approach has been the order of the day and consequently the jib was well reefed down as we just jiggled along a little off a beam wind through most of the day. Just now a little more jib has been shown while we await the arrival of gale force winds from the West or even hopefully West South West. The jury rigged cross bar on the WindPilot is holding up well and should get us to Stanley. With any luck we could have one long reach on the Port tack all the way to Cape Pembroke.
3:30pm Tuesday 20th February 2018 ( UTC-5 ) A short while after taking a few snaps of Diego Ramirez I had another look around and it then stood out in sharp relief and to my surprise so did Cape Horn 34 Miles to the North. The visibility round these parts changes by the hour and it's not really possible to tell when it's good or bad. With the confluence of the North West winds and the back eddies from the islands of Tierra del Fuego the strength and direction of the wind varies constantly but reasonable progress is being made. I was surprised it had been six days since I did a desal so 3 1/2 hours was put in in pleasant conditions to produce 14 litres - it reached 17C in the cabin! I hope to be able to continue the blog with the limited power supply as I post this on an iPad, the same one that seemed to have given up the ghost a few days back. Maybe it was a bit like me and not responsive in the continuing cold. The iPad uses very little power and seems, now, to charge easily. I have 50 litres of diesel left of the or iginal 90 litres and 10 minutes running the auxiliary three or four times a day appears to keep the few instruments left going - mainly the chart plotter which has a " sleep " mode, and the all important Iridium tracker and Satcom. I am not looking forward to the half day of strong North to North East winds forecast for tomorrow but after that the weather appears reasonable.