L'Eau Commotion Westabout

An (other) attempt to sail non stop Westabout around the world

Vessel Name: L'Eau Commotion
Vessel Make/Model: Northshore 38
Hailing Port: Brisbane Australia
Crew: Bill Hatfield
25 February 2018 | 75 Miles to Stanley
24 February 2018 | 110 Miles South of Stanley
23 February 2018 | 175 Miles South West of Stanley
22 February 2018 | 265 Miles To Stanley
21 February 2018 | 105 Miles ESE Cape Horn and 360 Miles to Stanley
20 February 2018 | 410 Miles to Cape Pembroke and Stanley, Falklands.
19 February 2018 | 45 Miles WSW Cape Horn
19 February 2018 | 10 Miles North of Diego Ramirez
18 February 2018 | 160 Miles West of Cape Horn
17 February 2018 | 200 Miles West of Cape Horn
17 February 2018 | 200 Miles West of Cape Horn
16 February 2018 | 280 Miles West of Cape Horn
15 February 2018 | 350 Miles West of Cape Horn
15 February 2018 | 385 Miles West of Cape Horn
14 February 2018 | 386 Miles West of Cape Horn
13 February 2018 | 430 Miles West of Cape Horn
12 February 2018 | 475 Miles From Cape Horn, Bearing 079 T
11 February 2018 | 515 Miles WSW Cape Horn
10 February 2018 | 480 Miles WSW Cape Horn
09 February 2018 | 455 Miles WSW Cape Horn
Recent Blog Posts
25 February 2018 | 75 Miles to Stanley

Fogbound

4:30pm Sunday 25th February 2018 ( UTC-3 ) Well I did keep checking on the wind during the night and as it eased slightly in the dark before dawn a little more jib was shown and we got nicely underway. It was not long before it was fully unfurled and a pleasant 5 to occasional 6 knots was seen - until the fog set in around 9:00am. Since then progress has been intermittent at best with winds in the 2 to 6 knot range, albeit from the right West quarter. The fog was so thick at times even the Albatross were grounded! We live in hope though of an orderly progression and should make Stanley by all accounts without having to put up with any strong adverse winds. I do take note of all your comments but the future is a very short distance away at the moment so once that is covered I'll try to convey with a broader outlook my plans.

24 February 2018 | 110 Miles South of Stanley

Shortening Sail

5:00pm Saturday 24th February 2018 ( UTC-3 ) The wind has gradually strengthened to about its forecast maximum of 32 knots and veered to almost North and as useful ground into this strength with the sail options available cannot be made it was decided to shorten sail to just the minimum to steady the yacht. The sun has been shining brightly for the last few hours resulting in a welcome 14C cabin and so a little discipline will be required very early on Sunday morning to check whether the forecast of easing and backing is correct. There appears a window of good weather will open up to get me to Stanley late Monday or Tuesday at the latest when the North West winds will again become strong so every opportunity should be seized.

23 February 2018 | 175 Miles South West of Stanley

Getting Closer, Getting Nervouser

5:00pm Friday 23rd February 2018 ( UTC-3 ) The wind is not all that strong from the North West, say just over 20 knots, but being hard on the wind there is that inevitable thump now and again and each time this happens I think of reducing the sail a bit more. It is supposed to stay like this all night and then get quite strong - over 30 knots for most of tomorrow - in the morning. I will probably reduce sail anyhow with that jar that just occurred and hope the promised light South Westerly will carry me to Stanley on Sunday/ Monday. Thanks to Bob & Janet I was able to correspond with Customs and Immigration so they are expecting me. I got out the iPhone from its case and was surprised to find it had gone quite flat so plugged it in to the charger - nada! Checked the cord on this iPad - similar. I have one last cord in its original wrapping and thought this will be nicely sealed and fresh but was disturbed to find the front was nice waterproof clear plastic but the back was soggy cardboard. Luckily the contacts were bright and shiny so a sigh of relief was heaved.

22 February 2018 | 265 Miles To Stanley

Another Reprieve

2:00pm Thursday 22nd February 2018 ( UTC-5 )

21 February 2018 | 105 Miles ESE Cape Horn and 360 Miles to Stanley

What A Relief

3:30pm Wednesday 21st February 2015 ( UTC-5 ) The long forecast 35 knots from the North to North East fortunately did not quite get to that figure - my guess is around the 30 knot mark although a little more to the North East. We are still very much in the Drake Strait so a cautious approach has been the order of the day and consequently the jib was well reefed down as we just jiggled along a little off a beam wind through most of the day. Just now a little more jib has been shown while we await the arrival of gale force winds from the West or even hopefully West South West. The jury rigged cross bar on the WindPilot is holding up well and should get us to Stanley. With any luck we could have one long reach on the Port tack all the way to Cape Pembroke.

20 February 2018 | 410 Miles to Cape Pembroke and Stanley, Falklands.

A Mixed Bag

3:30pm Tuesday 20th February 2018 ( UTC-5 ) A short while after taking a few snaps of Diego Ramirez I had another look around and it then stood out in sharp relief and to my surprise so did Cape Horn 34 Miles to the North. The visibility round these parts changes by the hour and it's not really possible to tell when it's good or bad. With the confluence of the North West winds and the back eddies from the islands of Tierra del Fuego the strength and direction of the wind varies constantly but reasonable progress is being made. I was surprised it had been six days since I did a desal so 3 1/2 hours was put in in pleasant conditions to produce 14 litres - it reached 17C in the cabin! I hope to be able to continue the blog with the limited power supply as I post this on an iPad, the same one that seemed to have given up the ghost a few days back. Maybe it was a bit like me and not responsive in the continuing cold. The iPad uses very little power and seems, now, to charge easily. I have 50 litres of diesel left of the or iginal 90 litres and 10 minutes running the auxiliary three or four times a day appears to keep the few instruments left going - mainly the chart plotter which has a " sleep " mode, and the all important Iridium tracker and Satcom. I am not looking forward to the half day of strong North to North East winds forecast for tomorrow but after that the weather appears reasonable.

Good Prospects

04 February 2018 | 330 Miles SSW Cape Horn
2:00pm Sunday 4th February 2018 ( UTC-5 ) Yes I did let things get away last night or should I say early in a cold wet rainy windy sloppy Sunday morning. The wind had backed round to the South West and at the strength I was having a reasonably comfortable ride and even if I had changed tack or direction it may have imposed unnecessary strain on the rigging; or so I told myself as I snuggled deeper into my warm dry cosy bunk. From around 6:00am I started to get a grip but to little avail as the substantial slop was throwing the light breeze every which way, given a kick now and again by the fully unfurled jib. As the day wore on the breeze lessened and it appears I have quite a few of the daylight hours left to do the necessary desalination in comparative calm. There is another blow coming, forecast no stronger than the last but more from the North which should forgive some of my slackness this morning and yes for days now the longed for South West change is still forecast for late Wednesday.
Comments
L'Eau Commotion's Photos - Main
1 Photo
Created 23 July 2017
1 Photo
Created 23 July 2017
1 Photo
Created 22 July 2017
Northshore 38
1 Photo
Created 14 September 2016
No Photos
Created 14 September 2016