|Vessel Name:||L'Eau Commotion|
|Vessel Make/Model:||Northshore 38|
|Hailing Port:||Brisbane Australia|
9:00pm Saturday 20th January 2018 ( UTC-4 ) Actually a few more but this is a photo of the Starboard lower shroud with maybe twelve of the nineteen original still hanging on. As you can see I had the ladder rigged to check it out and replace with a spectra rope when along came a gust and the mast got the wobbles as did I so a few more temporary temporary stays were put in place. As you could probably imagine the weather here is very unstable so for a while today light winds and drizzle then brilliant lovely sunshine, showers, rain and now wind. I still haven't worked out how to fix the problem but hoping to have at least two systems in place. The sail in yesterday afternoon was truly amazing because of the huge number of Albatross. They were sitting on an obvious current line but then for the next three miles there were never less than about ten often twenty within a stones throw and of course they kept being threatened by L'Eau Commotions at times quite fast sailing. Suddenly there would be a boil up and hundreds and hundreds would rapidly fly to the great white mass of birds with the odd Skua. I saw quite a lot of Albatross West of the Falklands two years ago, this time hardly any but I have never seen anything like the density of yesterday. I'm a little far out in the bay but I'm pretty sure there are no inhabitants despite the grand name and yes there is still one hut there as described by Shane & Vicky. --------------060102080203020501060702--
3:30pm Friday 19th January 2018 ( UTC-4 ) Despite my earlier pessimistic reports I feel the record attempt is still very much alive. Lots of ideas have been formulated but nothing decided till a good overall picture of the defects and the extent of the assets on board are realised. Because this area is renowned for sudden and totally unexpected changes in the wind I decided to lodge in the best harbour I could find and one which I still be able to enter and leave under sail alone regardless of the weather. The charts I have of the spot chosen are a little questionable but if accurate the North West end of Bahia Agurre appears to fill the bill. This port is about 25 miles West of the Straits of Lemaire on the big island of Tierra del Fuego. It's only five miles away but as I am still under Starters Orders I have no idea when I will arrive in this dying breeze. It's been a lovely sail with the breeze swinging from NNE to West and fresh to pleasant. It's hard to believe it's blowing a full gale 70 miles away which is expected for the next couple of days so I will have time to do all the jobs and still have a complete rest at anchor.
3:45am Friday 19th January 2018 ( UTC-4 ) With another sleepless night coming to an end with a showery dawn I am thinking of ways I may be able to continue. I have three days of awful weather round the corner so I may be able to get things straitened out. Goodnight or should I say Good Dawning.
8:00pm Thursday 18th January 2018 ( UTC-4 ) On checking the rigging I found that the inner or lower shroud on the Starboard side had started to fail at the spreader and as such I can no longer continue on this trip. As this has just happened I have not formulated a plan of action but will let you know once the weather gods have been consulted.