L'Eau Commotion Westabout

An (other) attempt to sail non stop Westabout around the world

Vessel Name: L'Eau Commotion
Vessel Make/Model: Northshore 38
Hailing Port: Brisbane Australia
Crew: Bill Hatfield
19 November 2016 | 125 miles SSE Albany West Australia
26 October 2016 | Emu Point
25 October 2016 | Emu Point Slipway, Albany WA
25 October 2016 | Emu Point Slipway, Albany WA
14 October 2016 | 35 miles West of Albany Harbour Approaches
12 October 2016 | 12 miles off the coast South of Albany WA
09 October 2016 | 140 miles South of Esperance WA
08 October 2016 | 190 miles South of Esperance WA
07 October 2016 | 200 miles SW Esperance WA
04 October 2016 | The Bight
03 October 2016 | In The Bight - Having Been Bitten
01 October 2016 | In the Middle of The Great Australian Bight
30 September 2016 | Just Shy of WA SA Border Longitude, Eucla 470 miles bearing 350T
30 September 2016 | 450 Miles South of The Head of The Bight
28 September 2016 | 380 miles South of Port Lincoln South Australia
25 September 2016 | 100 miles West King Island Tasmania, 120 miles South of Portland Victoria
21 September 2016 | 8 miles South of South East Cape, Tasmania
19 September 2016 | 40 Miles East of St Helens
17 September 2016 | About 95 miles NE of N tip, Flinders Island
16 September 2016 | 13 miles East of Montague Island
Recent Blog Posts
24 February 2018 | 110 Miles South of Stanley

Shortening Sail

5:00pm Saturday 24th February 2018 ( UTC-3 ) The wind has gradually strengthened to about its forecast maximum of 32 knots and veered to almost North and as useful ground into this strength with the sail options available cannot be made it was decided to shorten sail to just the minimum to steady the yacht. The sun has been shining brightly for the last few hours resulting in a welcome 14C cabin and so a little discipline will be required very early on Sunday morning to check whether the forecast of easing and backing is correct. There appears a window of good weather will open up to get me to Stanley late Monday or Tuesday at the latest when the North West winds will again become strong so every opportunity should be seized.

23 February 2018 | 175 Miles South West of Stanley

Getting Closer, Getting Nervouser

5:00pm Friday 23rd February 2018 ( UTC-3 ) The wind is not all that strong from the North West, say just over 20 knots, but being hard on the wind there is that inevitable thump now and again and each time this happens I think of reducing the sail a bit more. It is supposed to stay like this all night and then get quite strong - over 30 knots for most of tomorrow - in the morning. I will probably reduce sail anyhow with that jar that just occurred and hope the promised light South Westerly will carry me to Stanley on Sunday/ Monday. Thanks to Bob & Janet I was able to correspond with Customs and Immigration so they are expecting me. I got out the iPhone from its case and was surprised to find it had gone quite flat so plugged it in to the charger - nada! Checked the cord on this iPad - similar. I have one last cord in its original wrapping and thought this will be nicely sealed and fresh but was disturbed to find the front was nice waterproof clear plastic but the back was soggy cardboard. Luckily the contacts were bright and shiny so a sigh of relief was heaved.

22 February 2018 | 265 Miles To Stanley

Another Reprieve

2:00pm Thursday 22nd February 2018 ( UTC-5 )

21 February 2018 | 105 Miles ESE Cape Horn and 360 Miles to Stanley

What A Relief

3:30pm Wednesday 21st February 2015 ( UTC-5 ) The long forecast 35 knots from the North to North East fortunately did not quite get to that figure - my guess is around the 30 knot mark although a little more to the North East. We are still very much in the Drake Strait so a cautious approach has been the order of the day and consequently the jib was well reefed down as we just jiggled along a little off a beam wind through most of the day. Just now a little more jib has been shown while we await the arrival of gale force winds from the West or even hopefully West South West. The jury rigged cross bar on the WindPilot is holding up well and should get us to Stanley. With any luck we could have one long reach on the Port tack all the way to Cape Pembroke.

20 February 2018 | 410 Miles to Cape Pembroke and Stanley, Falklands.

A Mixed Bag

3:30pm Tuesday 20th February 2018 ( UTC-5 ) A short while after taking a few snaps of Diego Ramirez I had another look around and it then stood out in sharp relief and to my surprise so did Cape Horn 34 Miles to the North. The visibility round these parts changes by the hour and it's not really possible to tell when it's good or bad. With the confluence of the North West winds and the back eddies from the islands of Tierra del Fuego the strength and direction of the wind varies constantly but reasonable progress is being made. I was surprised it had been six days since I did a desal so 3 1/2 hours was put in in pleasant conditions to produce 14 litres - it reached 17C in the cabin! I hope to be able to continue the blog with the limited power supply as I post this on an iPad, the same one that seemed to have given up the ghost a few days back. Maybe it was a bit like me and not responsive in the continuing cold. The iPad uses very little power and seems, now, to charge easily. I have 50 litres of diesel left of the or iginal 90 litres and 10 minutes running the auxiliary three or four times a day appears to keep the few instruments left going - mainly the chart plotter which has a " sleep " mode, and the all important Iridium tracker and Satcom. I am not looking forward to the half day of strong North to North East winds forecast for tomorrow but after that the weather appears reasonable.

19 February 2018 | 45 Miles WSW Cape Horn

Diego Ramirez

2:00pm Monday 18th February 2018 ( UTC-5 ) Hope this pic gets through. --------------000806010109070106020602--

Shortening Sail

24 February 2018 | 110 Miles South of Stanley
5:00pm Saturday 24th February 2018 ( UTC-3 ) The wind has gradually strengthened to about its forecast maximum of 32 knots and veered to almost North and as useful ground into this strength with the sail options available cannot be made it was decided to shorten sail to just the minimum to steady the yacht. The sun has been shining brightly for the last few hours resulting in a welcome 14C cabin and so a little discipline will be required very early on Sunday morning to check whether the forecast of easing and backing is correct. There appears a window of good weather will open up to get me to Stanley late Monday or Tuesday at the latest when the North West winds will again become strong so every opportunity should be seized.

Getting Closer, Getting Nervouser

23 February 2018 | 175 Miles South West of Stanley
5:00pm Friday 23rd February 2018 ( UTC-3 ) The wind is not all that strong from the North West, say just over 20 knots, but being hard on the wind there is that inevitable thump now and again and each time this happens I think of reducing the sail a bit more. It is supposed to stay like this all night and then get quite strong - over 30 knots for most of tomorrow - in the morning. I will probably reduce sail anyhow with that jar that just occurred and hope the promised light South Westerly will carry me to Stanley on Sunday/ Monday. Thanks to Bob & Janet I was able to correspond with Customs and Immigration so they are expecting me. I got out the iPhone from its case and was surprised to find it had gone quite flat so plugged it in to the charger - nada! Checked the cord on this iPad - similar. I have one last cord in its original wrapping and thought this will be nicely sealed and fresh but was disturbed to find the front was nice waterproof clear plastic but the back was soggy cardboard. Luckily the contacts were bright and shiny so a sigh of relief was heaved.

Another Reprieve

22 February 2018 | 265 Miles To Stanley
2:00pm Thursday 22nd February 2018 ( UTC-5 )
I hope I wasn't being blasé about just another gale but it was forecast to be from the aft quarter and with a small amount of jib is usually quite comfortable. In the event it never got much past 30 knots but it did swing more to the North West than was hoped for. Settling in now for a comfortable beam reach for the next 24 hours with all systems still functioning - that is all systems since yesterday. Managing to keep the coms charged and do have a fall back if these two main batteries kark it. That is to charge them off the last good battery which is also the starting battery for the auxiliary. Should I inadvertently flatten that the last fall back is a jump starter kit which however has developed the annoying habit of losing its charge every week or so and beeps annoyingly until you feed it some scarce amps. It is currently well fed and quiet. Counting the days till I get to Stanley although Saturday is showing strongish North Westerly winds.

What A Relief

21 February 2018 | 105 Miles ESE Cape Horn and 360 Miles to Stanley
3:30pm Wednesday 21st February 2015 ( UTC-5 ) The long forecast 35 knots from the North to North East fortunately did not quite get to that figure - my guess is around the 30 knot mark although a little more to the North East. We are still very much in the Drake Strait so a cautious approach has been the order of the day and consequently the jib was well reefed down as we just jiggled along a little off a beam wind through most of the day. Just now a little more jib has been shown while we await the arrival of gale force winds from the West or even hopefully West South West. The jury rigged cross bar on the WindPilot is holding up well and should get us to Stanley. With any luck we could have one long reach on the Port tack all the way to Cape Pembroke.

A Mixed Bag

20 February 2018 | 410 Miles to Cape Pembroke and Stanley, Falklands.
3:30pm Tuesday 20th February 2018 ( UTC-5 ) A short while after taking a few snaps of Diego Ramirez I had another look around and it then stood out in sharp relief and to my surprise so did Cape Horn 34 Miles to the North. The visibility round these parts changes by the hour and it's not really possible to tell when it's good or bad. With the confluence of the North West winds and the back eddies from the islands of Tierra del Fuego the strength and direction of the wind varies constantly but reasonable progress is being made. I was surprised it had been six days since I did a desal so 3 1/2 hours was put in in pleasant conditions to produce 14 litres - it reached 17C in the cabin! I hope to be able to continue the blog with the limited power supply as I post this on an iPad, the same one that seemed to have given up the ghost a few days back. Maybe it was a bit like me and not responsive in the continuing cold. The iPad uses very little power and seems, now, to charge easily. I have 50 litres of diesel left of the or iginal 90 litres and 10 minutes running the auxiliary three or four times a day appears to keep the few instruments left going - mainly the chart plotter which has a " sleep " mode, and the all important Iridium tracker and Satcom. I am not looking forward to the half day of strong North to North East winds forecast for tomorrow but after that the weather appears reasonable.

Diego Ramirez

19 February 2018 | 45 Miles WSW Cape Horn
2:00pm Monday 18th February 2018 ( UTC-5 ) Hope this pic gets through. --------------000806010109070106020602--
L'Eau Commotion's Photos - Main
1 Photo
Created 23 July 2017
1 Photo
Created 23 July 2017
1 Photo
Created 22 July 2017
Northshore 38
1 Photo
Created 14 September 2016
No Photos
Created 14 September 2016