Captains-Blog

23 October 2016
03 October 2016
13 September 2016 | Pangaimotu Tonga
08 September 2016 | Pangaimotu
27 August 2016 | Big Mamas Yacht Club Tonga
27 August 2016 | Big Mamas Yacht Club Tonga
21 August 2016 | Big Mamma Yacht Club at Pangaimotu in Nukualofa, Tongatapu, Kingdom of Tonga
06 August 2016 | Marsden Cove Marina
06 August 2016 | Marsden Cove NZ
14 July 2016
11 May 2016 | New House.
27 November 2015 | Southern Pacific Ocean , Berthed Masden Cove Marina Whangeri
25 November 2015 | Southern Pacific Ocean 250 miles to Whangarei
24 November 2015 | Over half way to NZ from Fiji
19 November 2015
08 November 2015
02 November 2015

Just keeps getting better

23 October 2016
For those who noted some of the exceptional experiences we have had in Tonga this season, it just got better. One needs to understand that just being in any Pacific Island Nation or "Kingdom" in this case, is generally quite sufficient to provide one with the feeling of accomplishment, one of,,,having done it. That in itself is usually enough. Having travelled long distances in most cases, overcome some challenges, expenditures and stresses as we all must do to get "out here", then the actual time spent enjoying the topical paradise of the day and all things related, are usually more than sufficient stimuli to create memories for a lifetime, which is of course why we came way out here in the first place. Many things such as whale experiences and encounters, diving, snorkelling, fishing, beach combing, hiking, walking and visiting and getting to know local folks are more than enough perfect experiences for most of us. In fact most of us do not do all of those things all of the time, it is just too much with all the other things we do on a daily basis out here, such are the demands of the boat and ourselves. There is the feeding of all manner of fluids and fuels and cleaning, resting and maintenance of all sorts of both the boat and ourselves. There is the constant weather watching, preparations, provisioning and of course the socializing and sleeping to contend with on a daily basis, to say nothing of the daily consumption of the demon alcohol. All this before we entertain outside or off the boat activities leaves little room for things outside the normal preverbal box as they say. Living with these daily responsibilities becomes sort of normal and when you get to take part in ECA' s "extra curricular activities" sort of like space missions with the EVA's, or OBA's "off boat activities", it is the reward for all the work and commitment you made to get out here. We have been so fortunate this season with some very special ECA's and the last highlight of course being able to have HRM, Queen Mother of Tonga join us aboard A-TRAIN for an afternoon sail. Wow Royalty, real Royalty, on our boat! How can it get better than that? Well perhaps being invited to sit with His Royal Majesty, King Tupou VI, Ruler of the Kingdom of Tonga in a private beach setting with his private guard, a mutual friend and us might be just a little bit cooler and that is what happened. Yup, just us! Then add to this, Gwen was appointed to bake for His RM's afternoon tea which was served while we sat with HRM. Who does these sorts of things? We had some laughs and good conversation about many things, various sports, hunting and fishing, firearms, scuba and personal histories stories and experiences. What a very Royal Majesty he is indeed! So very well spoken and educated, so Regal, in demeanour and with such a commanding presence it is hard to describe. Royalty is just something the rest of us are Not! I was actually nervous, as one really should be,,but he made us feel relaxed and accepted us as the regular people that we are. There is so much to say and describe about everything surrounding our visit with King Tupou VI, but suffice to say it has been yet another experience of a lifetime. I mean, this is the King of Tonga we are talking about. Whew! Everything else seems to pale in the shadow of this visit and experience and yet we have had all manor of fantastic experiences but after this, we can't even remember them any more. With all these things going on this season, how can it possibly get any better ? Well It may!!! More on that later.

While we were blessed with photos of us together that are memories we can cherish a lifetime, we will not be posting these on any public forum for obvious reasons. Sorry about that. The photo included is where we met with King Tupou VI. Hard to believe really.

All too soon our time in the tropics will be transitioning into the cooler climes of the far South but the memories we have gathered this season will carry us thru the passage and trip back to Canada to visit winter and serve out our short sentence to satisfy the all important health care requirements of time "in country". Not a bad thing and we look forward to re connecting with family and friends while home and spending some time at the new Ponderosa with a crackling fire and snow instead of sand to look at. We will exchange sea and sand for sage brush and lake vistas, hot and humid for cold and dry conditions, sun in the South instead of the Northern sky, TOP for CDN dollars, foreign languages for English, driving on the right side of the road, and so on. Last night we had a huge turkey, cooked in the Umu, Gwen made stuffing and a carrot cake and we enjoyed an extended family meal at the long table with our new family here at Pangaimotu, all in celebration of Gwen's Birthday, her second one in Tonga. The staff prepared traditional Tonga dishes as accompaniments which made for a wonderful culinary experience and the turkey came out beautifully from the Umu. Turkey dinner in the tropics, who would have thunk that? We also arranged a cruisers BBQ two days ago which was yet another fun party ashore. It appears a weather window might present itself this week so we are now in preparations mode again and watching carefully so as to be ready to make the hop to NZ. It is going to be so very tough to leave here after becoming such a part of the family and being treated so well and having such other world experiences but when you are living a mobile existence this too has change with the seasons and with cyclone season on the horizon it is time to migrate once again and experience something else new and exciting which is how it seems to go when you are living, way out here!

We will post updates when underway and on YIT.
Comments
Vessel Name: A-TRAIN
Vessel Make/Model: Sundeer 60
Hailing Port: Vancouver Canada
Crew: Gwen and Russ Hobbs
About: currently, Aug 2016 ready to depart NZ for warm waters North
A-TRAIN's Photos - Main
229 Photos
Created 3 July 2015
50 Photos
Created 29 November 2014
9 Photos
Created 29 November 2014
2 Photos
Created 29 November 2014
18 Photos
Created 29 November 2014
30 Photos
Created 29 November 2014
6 Photos
Created 15 August 2014
12 Photos
Created 10 August 2014
19 Photos
Created 25 July 2014
5 Photos
Created 14 July 2014
34 Photos
Created 29 June 2014
8 Photos
Created 29 June 2014
21 Photos
Created 29 June 2014
12 Photos
Created 4 June 2014
5 Photos
Created 30 March 2014
One of the nicest Islands in the Sea of Cortez on the Baja side. We flew over it and got a photo from the air, Cool!
20 Photos
Created 6 March 2014
Punta Chivato, a shell collectors dream come true, most people just stand there shaking their head and wondering how it could be possible that so many shells could be in one location. WOW! Gwen collected a few but it was better to just look and leave them there.
13 Photos
Created 6 March 2014
Cabo, Bahia Los Frailies, Los Muertos, La Paz, and North to San Gabriel, San Juanico, Puerto Escondido and across the Sea to Guyamas and San Carlos
20 Photos
Created 6 March 2014
misc photos of getting ready to shove off, various stops along the way and rounding up into Cabo San Lucas
20 Photos
Created 6 March 2014
Misc photos to catch up Blog
59 Photos
Created 5 August 2013