Lee and Kirstys Excellent Adventure

06 October 2012 | Gibraltar
27 August 2012 | costa del Crime
26 August 2012 | espanol
09 August 2012 | benalmadena
09 August 2012 | Costa Del Sol
21 July 2012 | Gibraltar
11 July 2012 | somewhere off the Spanish Coast
02 July 2012 | middle of the bay
02 July 2012 | Gijon
02 July 2012 | St Denis
25 June 2012 | Ille De Re
25 June 2012 | La Rochelle
21 June 2012 | Not to be taken too seriously
21 June 2012 | La Rochelle
21 June 2012 | La Rochelle
21 June 2012 | La Rochelle
17 June 2012 | nr Sauzon
17 June 2012 | in the Biscay!!!

Part 2 - The Two Towers

21 June 2012 | La Rochelle
hot hot hot
Well finally we have arrived in La Rochelle with 6 days to spare before Steve (our new crew) arrives and we head off to Spain, time for some relaxing in this fantastic city.
We left Ille d'Yeuch (I'm sure the island is pretty but the harbour was smelly and we didnt have time to explore) and headed off to Sables D'Ollones which is a fantastic port come town, just like Brighton without the Piers or Crustys. It really was a fantastic place and we wished we could have stayed longer and we will definately try to get back. That night we hooked up with a couple on a similar trip, Martin and Heid,i and headed off to an Irish Bar (well it sold stout and had a shamrock on the outside anyway) as it had 2 screens on, showing the French and England games simultaneously. We did try our best to keep straight faces at the final whistle but alas that was difficult. What was amazing was the reaction of the french. They, like us, were getting really into it untill the final whistle when suddenly it went silent, like it would at home but then.... no fights no beer glasses thrown at the tele, no angry shouting they just turned off the tele, put the music on and got back to chatting about fashion or politics or whatever it is French people chat about when not watching football. Surreal!
Talking of fights I had to have angry words with a Frenchie who had totally broken the rules on mooring up (see my following article on observations of the french) and blocked us in on our finger pontoon the night before, using a pontoon which was not allowed to be used. I politely explained to him he would have to move in the morning and he said ok (for us to get out) but when morning came he just wanted to edge up a metre or so and expected me to get the highly unmanouverable Jon Jon out of a small gap. So I re-explained to him in a very UNpolite manner (those of you who know me can probably imagine how that went). Anyway to cut a long story short, he left v hacked off !! As we passed him on the way out we bid each other a fond farewell (actually it was a bit like Agincourt!)
We had a lovely motor down to La Rochelle after that with flat glassy seas and baking hot sun and finally ended up in the town marina, where you have to pass through Two Towers to get in and you end up in this magnificent basin surrounded by historic buildings and cafe bars and shops. In my "its like" travel guide I am intending to write I would say "its like" sailing into the heart of Bath or Chester only more raucous and lively.
We are going to spend 6 days here chilling and getting ready for the jump to hyperspace and the 2 day Biscay crossing to Spain. Hope the weather is not getting you down, thanks for all the comments keep them coming and we will try to reply!
cheers
Lee
Comments
Vessel Name: Jon Jon
Vessel Make/Model: Sadler 34
Hailing Port: Fowey
Crew: Kirsty and Lee (and friends!)
About: Lee - Skipper Kirsty 1st mate
Extra: This is the voyage of the yacht Jon Jon her 5 month mission,.... to seek out new cheese, try out new wine and boldly go etc etc

Jon Jon

Who: Kirsty and Lee (and friends!)
Port: Fowey