Lee and Kirstys Excellent Adventure

06 October 2012 | Gibraltar
27 August 2012 | costa del Crime
26 August 2012 | espanol
09 August 2012 | benalmadena
09 August 2012 | Costa Del Sol
21 July 2012 | Gibraltar
11 July 2012 | somewhere off the Spanish Coast
02 July 2012 | middle of the bay
02 July 2012 | Gijon
02 July 2012 | St Denis
25 June 2012 | Ille De Re
25 June 2012 | La Rochelle
21 June 2012 | Not to be taken too seriously
21 June 2012 | La Rochelle
21 June 2012 | La Rochelle
21 June 2012 | La Rochelle
17 June 2012 | nr Sauzon
17 June 2012 | in the Biscay!!!

Gijon.....get out of there

11 July 2012 | somewhere off the Spanish Coast
Lee getting hotter !
A foreward apology, . ......firstly for the lack of blogs truth is we have been sailing hard and where we have found ports no wifi, also some people have requested more nautical phrases ...there are lots in this one I'm afraid, more than sheets on a boat.
Well Gijon was lovely although we didnt expect to spend quite so much time there. The wind came in from the west due to yet another rain belt hitting the UK and stayed put. We tried to leave just before the really bad bit but were beaten back not by the 20 knots of winds so much as the swell. A 'small' swell down here would be a lumpy day in England and a large swell as we have had recently the waves can reach 2-3 m high ie which means up to 20 feet from trough to peak which is ok downwind but impossible beating upwind. We went about and returned to Gijon for a few days. This was a fortuitous as the waterpump packed up so it gave us chance to fix it (after failing to find a replacement). Its working now ...just .... and we need to desperately find a new one once in Gib or its the UDS (ref blackadder) for us!. It was also fortuitous as Gijon is fab, great bars nightlife, lovely people, fantastic marina and some really great roman ruins to explore we had a ball. (Too much one night, the 2 euros a bottle rioja got the better of us). If you get the chance go to Gijon ... we WILL return. Finally the westerly wind was replaced by a north west and we could move, but as is ususally the case it went from 20 knots to 2 knots, and we had to motor. We made the decision to push on around the corner so to speak onto the west coast, missing out some great Rias to explore but allowing us to pick up the more reliable trade winds . So after 16 hours of boring uncomfortable motoring we pulled into La Coruna which is unremarkable in every aspect and apart from cheap beer (2.50 a pint in the marina) we couldnt find anything to love about it. So we left next day and I am writing this as we wing our way on a broad reach ..down hill towards portugal. The expected 4/5s havent kicked in yet so we are only "bustin 5 knots" but "we're on a boat" and the sun is out and we are finally sailing South. Its starting to feel like it should have in South Brittany.
As for boat life.. its really suiting us and we are getting used to the long sails. Whilst in marinas you have to take what you get in terms of washroom quality which varies a lot!! and just like going into the bathroom in a hotel room to find out what shampoo goodies they have given you, the first thing we do on coming alongside is run to the showers to find out what they are like.... usually followed by a sense of disappointment ..usually followed by a beer. There is a daily forage for fresh food to be done... usually followed by a small tipple as Kirsty puts it. At sea its just sleep off shift and sail on shift and do some cleaning and cooking. Life is pretty simple but you always seem to be busy fixing something or changing sail etc.
Anyway this is supposed to be my off shift so nighty night and I'll report in when we are further south.
Comments
Vessel Name: Jon Jon
Vessel Make/Model: Sadler 34
Hailing Port: Fowey
Crew: Kirsty and Lee (and friends!)
About: Lee - Skipper Kirsty 1st mate
Extra: This is the voyage of the yacht Jon Jon her 5 month mission,.... to seek out new cheese, try out new wine and boldly go etc etc

Jon Jon

Who: Kirsty and Lee (and friends!)
Port: Fowey