Lemons Way

Continuing adventures, observations, and images.

Second Overnight Sailing Trip with Sarah and the Baby

This past weekend we headed back up to the boat at lake Pleasant northwest of Phoenix for another overnight adventure. Things went more smoothly and I think we all had a pretty good time, especially me. Cruising with wife and baby takes a little getting used to. Between the last overnight trip and this one the sailboat shop got the boat's running lights working, installed three fans, and put together a secondary anchor. When we arrived, I discovered that the fans were kind of loud and cheap-o, and one of them was blowing the wrong direction and installed in the wrong spot. That fan was fixed and re-located by the sailboat shop mechanic while Dale helped me to rig the 150 foresail. It employs a cool roller furling design that has its own wire stay, leaving the boat's forestay available to use for a second, smaller jib. It makes the Catalina 25 kind of like a cutter rig, able to fly twin headsails, though the winds would have to be pretty light to justify that. Typically in such conditions I motor. As for the secondary anchor, I wanted something that was self contained and that I could put into a duffel and store on a cockpit locker. The sailboat shop ordered a set-up that was larger and more robust than the existing main anchor set-up, for which I certainly can't fault them. I wound up switching out the anchor for one that is a size smaller than the existing main, but with about 16 feet of chain and another 100 feet of rope. It fits nicely into an old duffel and fits nicely in the locker. Should the main fail or get stuck, I can deploy the secondary in less than a minute. We got out on the lake an hour or two earlier this time and the sun is also setting later as we enter Spring, so we were able to motor all the way to the other side before it started getting dark. We had the 150 unfurled at the start, but there wasn't enough wind to move us. Again, sailboat cruising turns into mostly motoring. I know there are some cruisers who don't even have motors on their sailboats, but they don't have to complete their sailing trips on a tight schedule.

Comments