Lemons Way

Continuing adventures, observations, and images.

Three years from my last sail in a cruising sailboat

An incredible trip so far. It's not yet 5:00 in the morning and I'm holding the baby in the front-pack carrier while she sleeps after my middle of the night feed. Our little girl is already sleeping long periods in the night, so the late night feed I pride myself in has become more of an early morning feed. Means more uninterrupted sleep for us. I almost get to sleep as much as before. It is worth comparing the life of sailboat cruiser and taking care of an infant child. The constant attention, maintenance, noises, keep you up at night... but also bringing great joy, satisfaction, and taking you where you cannot go by yourself. For those that combine the two, wow.

I actually convinced myself to buy another sailboat a few weeks back. A kick-ass blue water coaster cruiser that would almost fit into our extended garage. Sarah agreed to let me get it, bless her. Then I came to my senses momentarily and accepted that maybe it is best to just charter, considering my marriage and kid and all that sort of thing. The link to the boat, for as long as its up, is http://www.sailboatlistings.com/photographs/25971.

Sarah and I were actually at Coronado boat rental a few days ago to do her first sailing experience. Sadly, we got there too late in the day and they weren't sending boats out. The winds were too light anyway, even for a beginner. Sarah mentioned as we left that she learned her first lesson about sailing and I told her she was right. It seems that there may already be a few couples that are interested to charter a big, nice sailing boat with us in some exotic place. While in San Diego for the Thanksgiving holiday, I toured the historic sailboats and submarines near downtown. It reminded me of the rigors of the sea... and the amazement of crossing them, exploring from the sailboat what lies on the other side, and then returning safely home.



Comments