Lemons Way

Continuing adventures, observations, and images.

Cholent

This seemingly unappetizing pot is the amazing Cholent that my father in law taught me how to make last Friday afternoon. My contribution was to holding the baby in the sling while she slept and video taping him on the HD camera for posterity. Now our children's children can watch and learn how to make the delicious, authentic, yet slightly southwestern version of this ancient dish eaten on the sabbath by our people since ancient times. Those meatball looking things are actually dumplings which have been soaking up the cholenty goodness at 250 degrees for like 10 hours overnight. Sarah and I tried it at 6:00 in the morning on Saturday, then had it for late breakfast again later that morning. Sooo good. Then we headed off to Phoenix with the baby for her company party, which took place at the Museum of Modern Art. Woke up at the hotel today and, after breakfast, drove up to Lake Pleasant to look at a sailboat I've had my eye on. I was kind of hoping it would be nasty close up so I wouldn't want it. The opposite turned out to be true. It is in great condition. Better than my last Catalina 25, newer and with better equipment. Though perplexed and understandably unnerved by my sailing compulsion, my wife has nonetheless determined to be supportive. Thanks, Sarah. However, I've written about getting back into it before and nothing came of it, so don't hold your breath. The next post could be of the new sailboat.... or just food.

Comments