Lemons Way

Continuing adventures, observations, and images.

Sailing Family Standing Under the Open Pop-Top

You gotta love the Catalina 25 pop-top. My previous sailboat, a Catalina 36, had standing headroom and numerous other features that make long distance cruising enjoyable. For shorter, more modest adventures, the pop-top allows us to stand up in a 25 foot sailboat, but just as important, it opens the cabin up to the outside world. Our Catalina 25 also comes with the frame for a dodger, which may eventually get restored and installed, but for now it is nice to have a completely open design that brings us very close to nature. I will need to arrange a sun shade of some sort to go over the cockpit for when it really starts to get hot out. I'm thinking of just using a large piece of cloth that can be secured somehow above our heads. I think that's more versatile than a bimini. Anyway, we enjoyed morning french press coffee and then I made steel cut oatmeal (with brown sugar and butter) for breakfast. Afterwards, we cruised back to the docks. Dale and Lynn assisted us to get the boat de-rigged and the mast down. Sarah and I were really impressed by their kindness and their willingness to give of their time and expertise. Once again, my sailing adventures are made possible only due to the generosity of others as I don't think I would have been able to get the boat ready to bring home all by myself while Sarah tended to the baby. Both Sarah and I felt we would benefit from having Dale on all our future sailing trips, but alas we will eventually learn to do it better by ourselves. The sailboat trailered pretty well back to Tucson and Sarah's parents were waiting for us with pizza and salad. We got the boat stored for the night and will get it situated for more long term storage later this week. We are hoping to take our next sailing adventure over Memorial Day Weekend in late May. Where to, stay tuned groupies.

Comments