Lemons Way

Continuing adventures, observations, and images.

Home From Another Sailing Adventure!

I returned yesterday afternoon from San Diego, California, having accomplished another of my sailing goals, the cruise from San Diego Bay, up the coast, across to Catalina Island, and back. It was a pleasant, safe mostly motor-sail of around 200 miles, more or less. I was able to make it in a series of daytime passages of 35-45 nautical miles per day, often with time in the afternoon to relax after anchoring, mooring, or docking for the night. This picture is from the morning of my departure from Tucson. We got up well before light to take Sarah and the kids to the airport. They flew, I drove with the sailboat. It's too long of a drive for the kids, especially the baby. The security officers at the airport saw me working to get Sarah and the kids and all their luggage unloaded, so they graciously tolerated the unusual vehicle and sailboat combination sitting outside the entrance to the airport. Having left so early in the morning, I arrived in San Diego in time to get the mast up, the sailboat in the water, the boat docked, and the trailer stored, with the gracious help of my father. My dad has proven himself a consistent and legitimate supporter of my sailing hobby. He's gone out sailing with me and has helped get the boat set on on more than one occasion. I cannot describe how meaningful that is to me.

Comments