Lemons Way

Continuing adventures, observations, and images.

Sailing Catch 22 Bay with former owner Bob (that's him in pic)

There didn't appear to be much wind this morning and Bob arrived late to the boat. I figured he might not want to go out sailing in such light winds. It picked up when we got out into the bay, then it really started picking up. We went from all sail out to reduced sail in less than 20 mintes and came back in after a little more than an hour. In that time I sailed faster than I ever have before. This boat sails very well. Unlike the Catalina 25, whose sailing rig is designed for coastal cruising and to avoid overpowering the hull, the Cascade 36 is very much a big boy sailboat. The sailing rig is capable of enormous power, but it reefs to just a bit of sail, truly an all condition sailboat. When the wind started to get up to around 15 knots, we were flying like I've never experienced before. He has it set up with a 180 jib, that's 50% larger than average. Fortunately, it's on a Profurl reefing system, which offers reliable control to let out from a little to a whole lot of foresail. The main has two reefing points. I asked a hundred questions about the boat and learned important info I otherwise would have had to discover slowly and dangerously myself. Well worth the extra day. I'm having a late lunch now and enjoying a last afternoon by the sea and evening on the sailboat before departure to Tucson tomorrow morning.

Comments