Lemons Way

Continuing adventures, observations, and images.

Gearing Up For the Next Family Sailing Adventure

The first load of equipment for the new to us sailboat has arrived. Actually, much has already been done by the old owner and his crew, but it's pretty much on me from here forward. First, hydraulic fluid for the steering system. We used the last of the old bottle and it looked like it could use a little more. Hydraulic steering is a great bit of kit, but we definitely don't want it running low on fluid. That results in less bite when you turn the wheel. Next to that are two of the four LED main cabin bulbs that will replace the old incandescents. LED lighting is important for family cruising because it allows us to leave many lights on at one time, using the power of one of the old style bulbs. These should be brighter than the old ones. I may keep a few of the old ones running because the light they put off is nice, though. Below the new bulbs is a three jack USB 12 volt plug. We can charge 2 phones at once with over 3 watts of power each, with a spare USB socket for a third device. Important for the modern family. Finally, two rearm kits for our offshore automatic inflatable life jackets. Both jackets inadvertently inflated when the boat got washed and water came into a compartment the jackets were stored in. Can't skimp on safety. There should be some more gear coming in today's mail.

Comments