Lemons Way

Continuing adventures, observations, and images.

Remember The First Sailboat

I worked during the middle of the night with one of my former legal assistants on a number of law-related matters so I was pretty tired when I awoke early this morning. Jake and Anne slept perfectly as usual so I took them for a nice walk, then headed over to the boat. I tightened the bolts on the Hydrovane (applying tef-gel first), installed the vane frame, and studied the machine by working it through all potential movements. Unfortunately, about 10-20% of potential area required by the vane's movement is blocked either by the bimini/solar panels on one side and the dingy davit bars on the other side. During the vast majority of wind conditions and directions, it doesn't affect the vane much if at all, but in some conditions and directions, the vane may be blocked from the far reaches of its movement. I can solve most of that problem by removing davit bars before long passages; the dingy goes on deck during passages anyway. The bimini may be able to adjust towards the bow a bit, thus relieving the problem on that end, but its pretty rigid and there are a lot of wires. We'll have to see how the Hydrovane performs once I get on my way and go from there. I'm well ahead of myself in any event because the boat isn't even in the water and I have no passages planned. As I write this the National Weather Service is issuing a thunderstorm warning for the area. I looked out on the water this afternoon and it was downright snotty out there. Dare I say I was glad I was still on land. Today was spent mostly working inside on the computer and making calls. I took a scooter ride to explore more of the area, did some shopping at the grocery store, made good healthy food, showered and shaved, organized, and wrote a letter to my nephew Brett and mailed it. Tomorrow begins the push to splash, hopefully first thing Tuesday morning.

Comments