Bookmark and Share
Lemons Way
The continuing adventures of a cruising sailor/family lawyer, his wife (also a lawyer), and their young children.
The Zodiac Gets A Second Name
Keith, hot and humid
07/22/2008, Whitaker Docks

Among today's projects was the inflatable dingy. I floated it around a few boats and under the dock, then hoisted it using the lift, cleaned it from top to bottom, de-flated it, re-assembled the floor boards like Richard (S/V Roxy, from Titusville, FL) showed me, attached the seat, pumped it up, and christened it with its new nick-name. She now sits proudly at the stern of the mothership.

Morning Light At Whitaker Docks

In case you were wondering, it appears the dogs can go at least 24 hours at one time on the boat (at dock) without complaining. I think I was more worried about how they were doing then they were. They mostly slept. That we were all together seemed to make them perfectly content. They didn't even run to the grass when we went out this morning. I think they could go longer, not that I'd want that. After a day on the boat, we will need to start working on how they will... you know... on the boat. All in due time.

Middle Of the Night Update
Keith - cool and comfortable in here
07/22/2008, Tropical Dreamer, Whitaker docks

My internet connection is so spotty tonight that all I can hope to upload is text. I don't know if the picture will go through. We're two nights back on the boat since returning from the necessary but emotionally difficult trip west. Now we're parked in Oriental (again) waiting for the blades to be installed tomorrow and for that court hearing on Wednesday. It is for the best, however, because there are still so many items on my to-do list. I did laundry this morning after taking the dogs for a long walk, spent a few hours in the afternoon updating ads for the truck, the other sailboat, the house for rent. Got a lot of other things done. I didn't feel like napping late this afternoon and enjoyed a two hour reading session before happy hour and dinner. Yes, we're enduring this arduous cruising lifestyle. When it's not raining, it can get powerful hot here in North Carolina (as I've written previously). The air conditioning in the boat is only ok. It got up to 81 degrees in the cabin during the hottest part of the day, which was still a lot cooler and less humid than outside. I had to turn the temperature several degrees warmer when I awoke just now - it was freezing in here. The lower and more centered you go in the cabin, the cooler it gets. That's where the dogs settle. They've taken quite well to the dog place I set up in the pit sofa. So have I. It's a great spot to relax. Speaking of which, I think I'm starting to. Things will liven up in a few days.

Tropical Dreamer Ready To Cruise
07/21/2008, Whittaker Creek Dock


Jake And Anne Back On The Boat
Keith, variable
07/21/2008, Whittaker Dock


Back In Oriental And It's Raining

Isn't that just the way it is when cruising. Sunny all week and then when I arrive it rains. No matter, I'm back on the boat, I've got the dogs, they are fine and resting comfortably. I'll be cruising again in a few days. All is well. The boat is rocking at the dock, but I hardly feel it now and actually enjoy it anyway. When I step off the boat it still feels like I'm rocking, but that's a sign of living on a boat. The sun is starting to go down, but it won't be dark until well after 8:00 p.m. How fortunate I am to be able to do this.

Turtle Saved
07/20/2008, Near Oriental

As I was driving the Rebounder to Oriental, I came across a turtle in the middle of the road with it's head extended in some sort of crazy game of turtle chicken (so to speak). This time I knew better. This turtle wasn't going to get squished on the highway on my watch. I turned the motorhome around, went back, picked him up, put it in the shower/bathtub, and eventually put him into the forest near Whittaker docks. When I came back to check on him, he was gone. Another good sign, I think.

The View As I Depart From The Food Lion To Oriental

I can't say I had the best night's sleep or that I felt particularly great when I awoke this morning, but I headed out anyway, stopping at a McDonalds for some particularly horrible decaf coffee. About 100 miles later I finally stopped for that Bojangles Chicken meal - I ordered a breakfast combo consisting of a fried chicken fillet and some potatoes and 1/2 sweet ice tea. When I received my bag of food, it contained three sandwiches and three orders of potatoes. Incredibly, the same thing happened with the pizza last night. I ordered a slice and my bag contained a super sized hunk of za as big as two or three slices. I had a chicken sandwich for lunch before taking a long nap this afternoon and I'm going to have another chicken and potatoe meal for dinner tonight. A good sign.

The Food Lion, The Full Moon, Artificial Light, And The Rebounder
Keith, hot and muggy, but the ac is on for now... not much longer, but at least for now
07/19/2008, Somewhere along the way to Oriental, NC


The Magic Carpet Picks Me Up From The Norfolk Airport
Keith, hot and humid again

Ahh, the Rebounder. I'm relaxing in it as I write this outside some small town in North Carolina. Nevertheless, I've got several bars of broadband internet. I hope they don't kick me out of the Food Lion parking lot I've camped in. There are signs for camping just up the street, but I prefer this tonight. I'm about 60 miles from the airport, about 130 to go to Oriental. I've got a special appointment to pick up the dogs at 10:00 a.m. tomorrow morning. I've got a slice of pizza from a joint in the strip mall here and whatever I have left from the bag of food Pam and my Mother sent me off with. I'm fine. I will be better than fine tomorrow morning when I reunite with Jake and Anne.


Singer Family Adventures
Port: Tucson, Arizona
View Complete Profile »

Powered by SailBlogs